What are some food/drinks from way back that you associate with certain people? (1 Viewer)

Mr. Blue Sky

Still P***ed at Yoko
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The TaB thread got me thinking about how only peoples’ aunts ever drank it.. Some others I remember are that my PawPaw was diabetic, so always had sugar-free hard candy in the glovebox of his truck, while my MawMaw always had those Brach’s Lemon Drop candies sitting in a dish in the house.. My other MawMaw always had Little Debbie Star Crunches in the pantry.. And every time we went to Taco Bell, my brother would always, always get the ‘Enchirito’- which I’m guessing is Spanish for chemically filled gelatinous gloop.

What you got?

I have one older cousin (female) who always made chicken spaghetti, that was her thing.. dont know that ive ever had it anywhere but her house.. And i had an older male cousin, he loved Chivas & water, that was his drink.. also I remember one time when i was about 8 yrs old, he let me try peach brandy straight from the bottle he was drinking.. i actually didnt mind it, i thought it tasted better than the sips of beer my dad had given me over the years.. anyway, that cousin died young, in his mid 40s, after drinking several Chivas & waters, then mistakenly thinking he could drive home.

Ex-gf in college made monkey bread for almost all parties (she was in grad school and LOVED hosting parties)

Ex-gf in NY ate marmite - a habit she picked up in boarding school in England
YUCK that smell was horrendous

Ex-gf in college made monkey bread for almost all parties (she was in grad school and LOVED hosting parties)

Ex-gf in NY ate marmite - a habit she picked up in boarding school in England
YUCK that smell was horrendous

I cant remember if ive had monkey bread, but one of my grandmas was famous for making ‘Lost Bread’ (which i think was different from French Toast?) and which i didn't realize until way late in life was basically only a Southern thing.

As far as parties, i have several relatives who did that thing where you take a block of cream cheese ( i think?) and slather it with Pickpeppa sauce.. never liked cream cheese, but i love Pickapeppa.. Oh, and everyone used to make that thing with Velveeta & Rotel for parties too.. again, i hate Veleveeta but still love Rotel.

Never tried marmite.. or vegemite.. or poutine.. basically i avoid eating anything that sounds like an insect or a disease.

ETA I’ve definitely had monkey bread, but I had forgotten since it’s more like a cake, not really bread.. kinda like how Monkey Hill isnt *really* a hill.

I have one older cousin (female) who always made chicken spaghetti, that was her thing.. dont know that ive ever had it anywhere but her house.. And i had an older male cousin, he loved Chivas & water, that was his drink.. also I remember one time when i was about 8 yrs old, he let me try peach brandy straight from the bottle he was drinking.. i actually didnt mind it, i thought it tasted better than the sips of beer my dad had given me over the years.. anyway, that cousin died young, in his mid 40s, after drinking several Chivas & waters, then mistakenly thinking he could drive home.

chicken spaghetti is actually a pretty good casserole if done with white sauce. I’ve seen people fix it like spaghetti and meatballs. Not a fan of that. Rather Parmesan or Picata.

Another thing my Great Grand did a lot was chicken and dumplings. And they were fantastic. I have struggled to master it. It’s like you go from soup to paste in .25 seconds.
I make a killer pot of dumplins. I combined how both my grandma's did them and added a couple twists. One gma dropped dumplins made with flour and water and the other gma used store bought biscuits cut up. I use both...and I add a bag of baby carrots, onion, and a jug of chicken broth to make them a little more savory. I use 8-10 chicken thighs to start with.

G. Sensat olive oil, which is a very old Catalan brand. At one point when I was a kid, they stopped importing it into Mexico, so my dad flew his Cessna to Belize every so often to get case of the stuff. Yes, my dad smuggled olive oil into Mexico :hihi:

a tin pitcher of ice cold grape cool aid

That actually sounds kind of amazing.. like, sweet tea in a Mason jar level refreshment.. Might have to fix that up before summer ends.

Incidentally, there’s a comedian who’s podcast i sometime watch on YouTube named Bert Krieshcer, and all the other comedians give him **** because he walks around with a half-gallon ’sippy jug’ filled with Koolaid and sips on it all day, every day.. i think he drinks 3 gallons per day.. I’m not sure I’ve ever had Koolaid as an adult though.

That actually sounds kind of amazing.. like, sweet tea in a Mason jar level refreshment.. Might have to fix that up before summer ends.

Incidentally, there’s a comedian who’s podcast i sometime watch on YouTube named Bert Krieshcer, and all the other comedians give him **** because he walks around with a half-gallon ’sippy jug’ filled with Koolaid and sips on it all day, every day.. i think he drinks 3 gallons per day.. I’m not sure I’ve ever had Koolaid as an adult though.

think I made it once as an adult. That’s when I found out you basically pour a pound bag of sugar in it lol

My Maternal Grandfather always had a small glass of rum and coke. The house smelled of it. I wish that I knew which rum that he used.

My Paternal Grandmother always had a dish of Brach's Pick-A-Mix. I tried to find it last year but it isn't the same.

First wife's parents had baked chicken breasts (no seasoning), boiled potatoes (no seasoning or butter), one dinner roll (no butter), butter beans (with butter). Almost every night.

Breakfast was either cheerios or oatmeal (no additions).

I make a killer pot of dumplins. I combined how both my grandma's did them and added a couple twists. One gma dropped dumplins made with flour and water and the other gma used store bought biscuits cut up. I use both...and I add a bag of baby carrots, onion, and a jug of chicken broth to make them a little more savory. I use 8-10 chicken thighs to start with.

my great grand made them from scratch but in her later years she would buy pie dough and cut it in long strips. Same concept I guess. But it’s one of my favorites when weather gets cold. Lots of black pepper. There are a handful of things where I feel like black pepper just jumps out at you and this is one.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom