What are some food/drinks from way back that you associate with certain people? (1 Viewer)

I cant remember if ive had monkey bread, but one of my grandmas was famous for making ‘Lost Bread’ (which i think was different from French Toast?) and which i didn't realize until way late in life was basically only a Southern thing.

Lost bread (pain perdu) is basically just french toast made with French bread.

For me .. Andes mints, the little cokes in a bottle that you kept for the deposit, and "panee meat", which was breaded veal that just sat on a tray on the stove under some foil and we would eat like cookies. It was so good.

First wife's parents had baked chicken breasts (no seasoning), boiled potatoes (no seasoning or butter), one dinner roll (no butter), butter beans (with butter). Almost every night.

Breakfast was either cheerios or oatmeal (no additions).
You’ve told this story before yes? (Don’t remember the bfast part) - with each part of the meal, a horrible deja vu began to ooze over me
‘Almost every night’ was the dagger

Lost bread (pain perdu) is basically just french toast made with French bread.

For me .. Andes mints, the little cokes in a bottle that you kept for the deposit, and "panee meat", which was breaded veal that just sat on a tray on the stove under some foil and we would eat like cookies. It was so good.

Andes mint. Ha. Haven’t thought about them in decades - those and the square mint things that came out of some bubble tumbler at the cash register of whatever 70s/80s NO restaurant it was (Riverbend is the one we tended to go to)

Andes mint. Ha. Haven’t thought about them in decades - those and the square mint things that came out of some bubble tumbler at the cash register of whatever 70s/80s NO restaurant it was (Riverbend is the one we tended to go to)

For us, it was the A&G (Ag & Gag) cafeteria at Cleaview Mall, and instead of Andes mints, it was these:

B6C4801E-EE06-4828-B4AC-EDB10C6B23FF.jpeg

Nana always had grenadine syrup and Nutella for me. I used to live on Nutella sandwiches when in Switzerland on summer vacations as a kid.

Yaya always had sun tea ( she should put tea bags in glass bottle w water and let bake in sun for a day).

Nana always had grenadine syrup and Nutella for me. I used to live on Nutella sandwiches when in Switzerland on summer vacations as a kid.

Yaya always had sun tea ( she should put tea bags in glass bottle w water and let bake in sun for a day).

You summered in Switzerland as a kid? Well, excuuuse me... :hihi:

I only became aware of Nutella in high school when my parents went to Europe on vacation and brought back a few jars.. Then years later i bought a big tub of it at Costco and, like most food i get at Costco, i ate so much of it that it kinda turns me off now.

You summered in Switzerland as a kid? Well, excuuuse me... :hihi:

I only became aware of Nutella in high school when my parents went to Europe on vacation and brought back a few jars.. Then years later i bought a big tub of it at Costco and, like most food i get at Costco, i ate so much of it that it kinda turns me off now.

Nutella and strawberry crepes.

my great grand made them from scratch but in her later years she would buy pie dough and cut it in long strips. Same concept I guess. But it’s one of my favorites when weather gets cold. Lots of black pepper. There are a handful of things where I feel like black pepper just jumps out at you and this is one.
I'm a heavy black pepper user on certain stuff....dumplins is one of them. I actually go a little pepper overboard on everything. I think it's a learned thing because my mom was like that and now my daughter is like that. White beans/cornbread is another one where I can't have too much black pepper.

MawMaw (maternal side): fresh coffee in tiny cups, for the kids it was Zatarain's Root Beer, homemade butter, homemade date loaf, and from scratch cake of your choice on your bday. German Chocolate for me... MMMmmmMMMMMMM.

MawMaw and PoPs (maternal side): coffee milk in Corn Flakes, vinegar on fresh cucumbers

Dad: BBQ with Jack Miller's BBQ sauce, and those damn red hot dogs, Gambino's garlic bread and Old Milwaukee beer.

Mom: Geez, lots of stuff.

Cool thread...it's been a long week.....good memories.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom