What Are The Upper Levels of Loudness? (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
The loudest (verified) human scream was 129 dB (decibels) - which was in a controlled and restricted environment. My guess is that the average person when needed can project audibles as high as 70 or 80dBs. But collectively, I wonder what upper levels of loudness can we obtain?

I understand that the meter reading hit 130ish on Sunday. Now, during the Falcons drubbing last year on Christmas Eve it hit almost 120 and that was loud. I see that Kansas City claims the loudest stadium or did at over 140.
Byvox89CIAEn8FT.jpg

I find all of these numbers arbitrary and subject to certain conditions. They have more to do with the location of monitoring devices, projection and timing. Now, I am not going to debate Arrowheads claim to fame, but 142.2 seems nearly an impossible feat to obtain UNLESS the monitoring device was place in the exact perfect spot on the field and EVERY fan projected their yelling at the exact time directly at that device. Which if sustained over a period of short time would in fact cause hearing loss. Which leads to Sunday.

Two factors working against us:

1. Distance. Everyone sits at varying distances from the field which pose a problem for those in the upper echelons. If one person were sitting at the top row and yelling down to the field you might not even hear them. Collectively though their voices carry down to the field. I am not a sound expert but I believe sound waves can be manipulated in a way that they can ride a subsequent rows screaming down to the field. In other words, if the last row is screaming at least as loud as the row in front of it, the wave will continue. So distance can be overcome with a collective effort.

2. Timing. Not everybody screams at the same rate, pitch or time. This would cause said sound wave to vary as they worked their ways toward the field - assuming everyone is projecting towards the same place. I would suggest that everyone yell from the moment the play is over until the next snap. This is about a 40 second time slot and may not be sustainable over the course of the game however, the key moments of disruption are once the play is over, McVay can communicate with Goff up until the before mentioned 15 second mark. So before the huddle is just as important as in the huddle. I saw Big Ben hold his hands over his ears during our game with them this year. I knew that was good. Obviously scream up until the snap. Once the snap take place, breath, drink and get ready for the next round.

Three factors working in our favor:

1. Volume. I mean number of people. Obviously, this works out well. But I did see a few folks NOT yelling during the game and that's pretty embarrassing if you ask me. I am a practicing Buddhist and still yell at the games. Why, because it's fun actually.

2. Projection. I believe the best way for the dB number to hit even higher is to project your voice either by cupping your hands or some sort of popcorn box or cup. This focuses your sound wave directly at Goff. I also believe that yelling hut, hut, hut at various times at the line of scrimmage works too., but what do I know?

3. Pace. I have no doubt we have the pace. I do know one thing, riding in our plane probably registers a constant 70dBs. We wear headsets, but my head hurts and ears ring for the rest of the night. Over the course of the game, I know we can be effective - even if not at record levels of noise. I would prefer a minimum standard of 120+ ever play with gusts of 130+ on key plays. 142.2? I have my doubts this is even accurate or obtainable but let's give it a go.

I'm tired. Rest up brothers, it's gonna be a long day Sunday.

I don't believe that any stadium jumbotron has truly scientific readings of decibel levels. It also really can't determine who is most deserving of a membership to the Elmwood Fitness Center.

I don't believe that any stadium jumbotron has truly scientific readings of decibel levels. It also really can't determine who is most deserving of a membership to the Elmwood Fitness Center.
All well and good, but I better not hear you talking bad about the blue boat

I wasn’t there, but I’ve seen a lot of games on TV. The only two times I’ve ever seen sustained shaking from the cameras covering a football game was when Hakim dropped the ball and the blocked punt in the return to the dome. Both times I could sit in my living room and see the instability of the cameras.

The loudest (verified) human scream was 129 dB (decibels) - which was in a controlled and restricted environment. My guess is that the average person when needed can project audibles as high as 70 or 80dBs. But collectively, I wonder what upper levels of loudness can we obtain?

I understand that the meter reading hit 130ish on Sunday. Now, during the Falcons drubbing last year on Christmas Eve it hit almost 120 and that was loud. I see that Kansas City claims the loudest stadium or did at over 140.
Byvox89CIAEn8FT.jpg

I find all of these numbers arbitrary and subject to certain conditions. They have more to do with the location of monitoring devices, projection and timing. Now, I am not going to debate Arrowheads claim to fame, but 142.2 seems nearly an impossible feat to obtain UNLESS the monitoring device was place in the exact perfect spot on the field and EVERY fan projected their yelling at the exact time directly at that device. Which if sustained over a period of short time would in fact cause hearing loss. Which leads to Sunday.

Two factors working against us:

1. Distance. Everyone sits at varying distances from the field which pose a problem for those in the upper echelons. If one person were sitting at the top row and yelling down to the field you might not even hear them. Collectively though their voices carry down to the field. I am not a sound expert but I believe sound waves can be manipulated in a way that they can ride a subsequent rows screaming down to the field. In other words, if the last row is screaming at least as loud as the row in front of it, the wave will continue. So distance can be overcome with a collective effort.

2. Timing. Not everybody screams at the same rate, pitch or time. This would cause said sound wave to vary as they worked their ways toward the field - assuming everyone is projecting towards the same place. I would suggest that everyone yell from the moment the play is over until the next snap. This is about a 40 second time slot and may not be sustainable over the course of the game however, the key moments of disruption are once the play is over, McVay can communicate with Goff up until the before mentioned 15 second mark. So before the huddle is just as important as in the huddle. I saw Big Ben hold his hands over his ears during our game with them this year. I knew that was good. Obviously scream up until the snap. Once the snap take place, breath, drink and get ready for the next round.

Three factors working in our favor:

1. Volume. I mean number of people. Obviously, this works out well. But I did see a few folks NOT yelling during the game and that's pretty embarrassing if you ask me. I am a practicing Buddhist and still yell at the games. Why, because it's fun actually.

2. Projection. I believe the best way for the dB number to hit even higher is to project your voice either by cupping your hands or some sort of popcorn box or cup. This focuses your sound wave directly at Goff. I also believe that yelling hut, hut, hut at various times at the line of scrimmage works too., but what do I know?

3. Pace. I have no doubt we have the pace. I do know one thing, riding in our plane probably registers a constant 70dBs. We wear headsets, but my head hurts and ears ring for the rest of the night. Over the course of the game, I know we can be effective - even if not at record levels of noise. I would prefer a minimum standard of 120+ ever play with gusts of 130+ on key plays. 142.2? I have my doubts this is even accurate or obtainable but let's give it a go.

I'm tired. Rest up brothers, it's gonna be a long day Sunday.
The shape of the Dome works in our favor, as well. Sound simply does not die quickly in that building. It bounces every which way and lives for several seconds longer than open air.

I'll put it this way jet engine is around 140 decibels, which can cause ear drum damage. 160 decibels your ear drums will burst that is around standing next to an explosion. I do not know how accurate those meters are in the stadiums. If they ever design a stadium to do around 150+ peoples ear drums would start to burst that could cause a problem in itself.

The shape of the Dome works in our favor, as well. Sound simply does not die quickly in that building. It bounces every which way and lives for several seconds longer than open air.
I want this to be true, but KC is the most open of all stadiums and the loudest. How is that possible?

I want this to be true, but KC is the most open of all stadiums and the loudest. How is that possible?
It is true. That's the acoustical characteristics of the Dome. As for KC, I cant answer that. I dont know anything about their stadium.

Seattle's stadium is also designed with acoustics in mind.

Not only the shape but the roof is steel not some weak fabric or soft metal alloy. A freaking concave steel drum projected at the center of the field. It’s loud not just at the end zones but the whole thing.

Not only the shape but the roof is steel not some weak fabric or soft metal alloy. A freaking concave steel drum projected at the center of the field. It’s loud not just at the end zones but the whole thing.
I didnt know the roof was metal. Wow. Yeah. That certainly magnifies the issue.

(Yes. That was a pun. Lol)

The K
It isn't. These aren't scientific.

The dome will be SO LOUD on Sunday.
The KC game was verified by the Guinness folks who were present at the time. They take their records seriously so I am assuming it was done correctly and the reading was accurate.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom