What are we to expect from Bush this year? (1 Viewer)

SaintsFanatic

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
So his rookie year passed, his sophmore 'slump' season has passed, now what do you guys expect RB to do this year. WIll he return to his late '06 form which imo he was really starting to become a playmaker and there was excitement every time he touched the ball, or well he stay avg-below avg running back like this year. I obviously don't expect that to happen if/when a healthy Deuce returns along with PT joining the running game(after the game against CHI). I like RB, I think he's a great player when used correctly, and was just hate for his talent to be wasted by the coach forcing him into a role he doesn't excel in.

It makes my head hurt to even think about it. I 'll have an answer in July.

Last edited:
#3 RB, 3rd down back, in the WR rotaion, and PR.

He needs to gain some weight in those stick legs and learn how to run the football like a man.

So his rookie year passed, his sophmore 'slump' season has passed, now what do you guys expect RB to do this year. WIll he return to his late '06 form which imo he was really starting to become a playmaker and there was excitement every time he touched the ball, or well he stay avg-below avg running back like this year. I obviously don't expect that to happen if/when a healthy Deuce returns along with PT joining the running game(after the game against CHI). I like RB, I think he's a great player when used correctly, and was just hate for his talent to be wasted by the coach forcing him into a role he doesn't excel in.

It depends on how he is used.

I think If they find the right running back to pair him up with, he can return to that kind of impact. There is a proven formula with Reggie right now. They need to get back to it.

What is NOT proven is that he is an every down back. I'm not sure how long the team can afford to wait for him to develop into an everydown back when so far he struggled in that role.

They plugged PT into that role against Chicago and he played lights out from the get go because he suited to the role through his build, his running style, vision, etc. Reggie, so far, just seems to be a different kind of player that needs to be used differently.

Last edited:
Well.....he should be more prepared....more focused...and no matter what he does......he will also deal with people who will NOT be satisfied with his performance.

Unless Sean Payton changes his "theories" Bush will have about the same effect as the 2006 season.

I want to see more deep routes from the slot position, more screens, reverses, wheel routes, etc etc.

Sean Payton is trying to keep it a "secret" when he gets the ball, but it's not a secret. The Eagles don't make is a secret when Westbrook is in the slot for a bubble screen, or a reverse...and defenses can't stop it.

I swear to god next year if I see Bush running the "suicide swing" pass i'm going to throw a beer bottle at SP's head. I know it's a great checkdown, but you check down with an idiot TE or Karney...you don't waste a blue chip talent standing on the line of scrimmage waiting to be decapitated.

He needs to gain some weight in those stick legs and learn how to run the football like a man.

I don't think he needs to do that at all. Reggie Bush wasn't a player that everyone said "you don't pass up on a chance to draft this guy" because he was a great running back. It was because he was a playmaker in college. He showed this over the last half of his rookie year where he really found his niche in the pro game. We took him out of that role last year out of neccessity and forced him to be a full-time back.

I'll tell you what to expect from him. If we try to make him a running back, expect more of what you saw this year. If Payton uses him more like he did in his rookie season as a decoy and puts him in space, he will make plays. He may never be a 25 carry a game running back, but why would we want him to when he can score 8-10 TDs both rushing and receiving per year if he is used in the way where he will be most effective.

Deuce/PT carry the heavy load...and Reggie is moved all over the place to get him in mismatches. I want to see him used more as a WR.

Last edited:
Deuce/PT carry the heavy load...and Reggie is moved all other the place to get him in mismatches. I want to see him used more as a WR.

I agree. I think Payton will use Reggie very much like Reggie was used at USC, and he'll have a great season as a result. When Reggie is used correctly (i.e., as a KR/PR and a complement to a between-the-tackles RB a la Lendale White, Deuce, PT, etc.), he can be deadly (as we saw in his rookie season).

Last edited:
I agree. I think Payton will use Reggie very much like Reggie was used at USC, and he'll have a great season as a result. When Reggie is used correctly (i.e., as a complement to a between-the-tackles RB a la Lendale White, Deuce, PT, etc.), he can be deadly (as we saw in his rookie season).

Yep, I totally agree!

I don't think he needs to do that at all. Reggie Bush wasn't a player that everyone said "you don't pass up on a chance to draft this guy" because he was a great running back. It was because he was a playmaker in college. He showed this over the last half of his rookie year where he really found his niche in the pro game. We took him out of that role last year out of neccessity and forced him to be a full-time back.

I'll tell you what to expect from him. If we try to make him a running back, expect more of what you saw this year. If Payton uses him more like he did in his rookie season as a decoy and puts him in space, he will make plays. He may never be a 25 carry a game running back, but why would we want him to when he can score 8-10 TDs both rushing and receiving per year if he is used in the way where he will be most effective.

Totally agree, we drafted a versatile playmaker who can make plays in the run game and in the passing game, we didnt draft a runningback that can carry "the load", we drafted an exciting, fast and versatile player.

Last edited:
I agree, he is a playmaker out of the backfield and can be a lethal punt and or kick returner, but I think you bottled his abilities up last year when we had to use him to carry the run game, I think Duece will be the starter next year (assuming he is fully healed) and Reggie will go back to getting carries in the run game and passes in the passing game and hopefully be our punt returner, I think getting steady touches is a bit premature, I know I was one of those guys who said Reggie had to get 10-15 carries a game along with 5 receptions per game...but I think more so we need to get Duece 15-20 carries per game, which will make Bush more effective, I think Reggie will still have some 13 carry 70yrd rush days, but I also think he will have some 7 carry 25yrd games because teams will always key in on him, he needs to be a "weapon" in the run and passing game and I think thats the only way to evolve him as a pro, eventually he will be able to be the "run game" but he's not at this point in his career...I expect him to have a better year next year but thats because we get Duece back and that will take some of the pressure off Reggie.

he is not lethal as a PR. i think that was proven already..... move him to #3 WR and KR

I swear to god next year if I see Bush running the "suicide swing" pass i'm going to throw a beer bottle at SP's head. I know it's a great checkdown, but you check down with an idiot TE or Karney...you don't waste a blue chip talent standing on the line of scrimmage waiting to be decapitated.

I couldn't agree more.

Reggie is DEADLY when we have a "regular" running game, but is too easy to string out by pro LB's and DB's when they know he is getting the ball. We have to stop that nonsense before he becomes the first player in history to really have his head inside the rolling football helmet.

Reggie needs every chance to succeed, because he is costing us the price of a Pro Bowl DL and CB combined. I think he needs to be used more like Kevin Faulk, plus play a lot of 3rd and 4th string wide receiver. He needs to get the ball in situations where the defenders can't string him out or hit him squarely. He really is a good receiver with good hands. He flinched a lot and had some drops this year, because he was put into the suicide situations that morals99 mentioned.

I believe I would start by demoting Reggie to 3rd string RB and 3rd or 4th string WR, both active and as a decoy. Maybe start with 3-4 carries and 3-4 passes a game, and try to work him back into the offense.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom