What are you reading? (2 Viewers)

Superalloys II - High-Temperature Materials for Aerospace and Industrial Power.

....don't ask.

I can't remember the thread it was mentioned in (saw it on EE), but I just finished "The Spy and the Traitor" by Ben Macintyre. It was awesome. One of the last chapters read like a fictional thriller. Well done!

I just started with Pierce Brown's "Dark Age" which is the 5th book in the Red Rising series. It's the longest one so far, coming in at 757 pages. Love this series.

Reading 3 (sort of) right now.
Big Game: The NFL in Dangerous Times by Mark Leibovich
“A funny, insightful and fascinating perspective of the league.” —USA Today
Good book. The only problem is that the author is a Pats fan. But still a very good read so far, especially as he despises Goodell as much as we do. It is an expose of the NFL by a fan who is also a journalist.

Alone on the Wall by Alex Honnold & David Roberts
Initially I watched a documentary on Honnold called "Free Solo" on Nat Geo. It was so riveting that I wanted to know more about this unusual free climber. Great book.

Geddy Lee's Big Beautiful Book of Bass
I've been perusing this book for awhile now (the reason for "sort of" above). I normally read digital on my Kindle, but this warranted the full sized hard cover. Very interesting, but more importantly beautiful. Its about half text and half text. Geddy Lee's collection is large and gorgeous. If you have any interest in the history of the Bass, this book is for you.

Still in my military history phase (going on 40 years now!). Found a book store here in Melbourne Saturday night that was going out of business and all books were $5 AUD. Picked up 7 volumes and that should be my reading library until Christmas when our household goods arrive from NZ:
The Long Gray Line - Rick Atkinson (The American Journey of West Point's Class of 1966); Prologue was excellent
Gallipoli - Alan Moorehead (As an adopted Kiwi and now Aussie, this is a must read)
Herbert Hoover, A Life - Glen Jeansonne
At War on the Gothic Line, Fighting in Italy 1944-45 - Christian Jennings
Waterloo - Bernard Cornwell
MacArthur at War - Walter Borneman
A History of the French Revolution - ED Bradby

At the risk of more marital strife, I think I may have to go back and see what else is there on the shelves (final closing on Wednesday). She should be happy I am at home reading and not drinking Fosters and chasing Sheilas...:)

Looking for some recommendations. The last few I have read are:

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Silas Marner (Cliff-noted this in high school)
Norse Mythology
All Quiet on the Western Front
A trilogy on Drizz't Do' Urden

Looking for something a little lighter and maybe humorous.

Just finished "Never Settle" by Marty Smith (ESPN personality). Good, light read that flows well as is it mostly a collection of short stories and anecdotes. Don't have to "keep the dots connected" all that much.

Currently, re-reading several of Neil Pearts offerings; currently stuck on "The Masked Rider". Book is decent, but I much prefer him as a drummer and lyricist. Just have to continue to keep context on what he was going through during this trek. He gets a bit too "wordy" at times, but I still enjoy the adventure.

Also trying to plod my way through The Art of War (originally by Sun Tzu) & The Prince (Machiavelli). It's a bit of a weird blend of literature, and tough to keep track of if I take too long of a hiatus from it. I have to backtrack quite a bit to reacquaint things that have slipped from the bonds of my ever diminishing memory. It is only 304 pages, but it will likely take me a decade or two to remain focused on it.

Last edited:
Looking for some recommendations. The last few I have read are:

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Silas Marner (Cliff-noted this in high school)
Norse Mythology
All Quiet on the Western Front
A trilogy on Drizz't Do' Urden

Looking for something a little lighter and maybe humorous.

I’m assuming you have read Confederacy at least three times? That one gets funnier with each time.

or Nobody’s Fool by Richard Russo. Russo writes great characters and this one is funny as hell

I’m assuming you have read Confederacy at least three times? That one gets funnier with each time.

or Nobody’s Fool by Richard Russo. Russo writes great characters and this one is funny as hell

Confederacy of Dunces? Yes, but I hated it.

I will look into Nobody's Fool. Thanks.

Just finished The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy...fantastic books, makes me want to visit Sweden one day....

I have read the first two, and they were both very good. I need to finish off the trilogy.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom