What are you reading? (1 Viewer)

I totally forgot about magazines. My Grandpa has TONS of Nat Geo and Popular Mechanics magazines. I read every one of them. I had all sorts of magazine subscriptions until the internet finally got me to give them all up.

I used to get several magazines every month. My first subscription was Boy's Life. I'd read those cover to cover and often again. I gave up the hard copies and read several via Internet subscriptions now.

I would highly recommend Beyond to anyone interested in the space Race.
Brilliantly told, it’s a fascinating comparison between the US and Soviet approaches to putting a man in space.
Also sheds light on the little known story of Soviet genius Sergei Korolev who masterminded their space programme, even though suffering from constant ill health after spending years in the gulag during Stalin’s purges.

I am starting to think I need to revisit some of the classic novels in several genres or visit some that I've never read before.
Could I recommend Dickens’ underrated Masterpiece Our Mutual Friend. Stunningly evocative, it’s passionate in its message that the wreck less pursuit of money at all costs is the root of evil...
Great characters too

I’ve been on a binge lately. Wiseguy by Nicholas Pileggi was good. if you love Goodfellas you should definitely pick it up

I enjoyed The Three Hearts and Three Lions by Paul Anderson. If you enjoy fantasy I recommend.

The Rasputin File by Edvard Radzinsky and Napoleon by Andrew Roberts were interesting but could be a slog fo get through certain chapters. I’d only recommend If you’re interested in either man or that era of history. Overall they’re good reads with lots of information

Currently reading Musashi by Eiji Yoshikawa. It’s really fun and really gives you a glimpse inside of the Tokugawa period of Japanese history. If you’re not familiar with him Musashi was a legendary samurai who wrote The Book of the 5 Rings. This is a fictionalized tale of his life.

House of the Rising Sun by Richard Cox.

FYI...the military has a really good virtual library where you can find just about any book or audiobook. You do occasionally have to go in queue for some titles, but it’s pretty awesome.
That's cool. Is it accessible to everyone or just current/former military?

I just finished Where the Crawdads Sing and I believe it deserves all of the accolades it has earned. Well written, wonderfully painted.

I am starting Ready Player Two.

I just finished Where the Crawdads Sing and I believe it deserves all of the accolades it has earned. Well written, wonderfully painted.

I am starting Ready Player Two.

I almost ordered this in my library queue....now I will....Thanks

Just found this thread. I'll read anything by Christopher Hitchens, Anthony Bourdain, or George McDonald Fraser. They're all dead but somehow I keep finding new stuff.

Anyone know what the latest and greatest is in the theoretical physics books like Brief History of Time, Death by Black Hole, Elegant Universe, etc... I've tried a few times to get through Elegant Universe, and want to try again, but now it's over 20 years old and if I'm going to punish myself, I at least want one that's up to date on the latest science.

Anyone know what the latest and greatest is in the theoretical physics books like Brief History of Time, Death by Black Hole, Elegant Universe, etc... I've tried a few times to get through Elegant Universe, and want to try again, but now it's over 20 years old and if I'm going to punish myself, I at least want one that's up to date on the latest science.
Astrophysics for People in a Hurry by Neil D. Tyson. Smart, concise, and fun.

Last edited:
I'm currently reading On The Road by Jack Kerouac for the first time, it is an incredible book....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom