What are you reading? (1 Viewer)

The Dream and the Tomb by Robert Payne-so far excellent account of the Crusades, but I’m only about 30 pages in :)

Just finished a three part series on Jon Reznick (Hard Road, Hard Kill, and Hard Wired). It is about an ex-special forces CIA hitman that is about to do a hit and realizes that something is wrong with the hit. Turns out he is being set up and has to figure out who wanted him to kill this guy. Better than average story, but the writing was a bit simplistic. I needed something a little light to read and this fit the bill.

Now I am reading Wolves at the Door. About an American spy in WWII. She was the head of the spy ring/resistance in Lyon, France, but has just been forced to flee as the Allies just landed in North Africa and the Nazis are about to occupy Vichy France (I am a little over half the way through). Pretty cool story, especially when you consider that she was a below the knee amputee from a hunting accident before the war and still did all of the training for this. Really impressive woman.

Wolves at the Door was good but it seemed rushed at the end with little details of her work around the time of the D-Day landing. Still, a good read to get a feel of what was going on in France during the German occupation (both resistance and collaborators).

I am on to a biography on John Adams (my favorite of the founding fathers). Very interesting for a biography (which can be a little dull).

i just finished: brave new world, by aldous huxley.

i don’t understand how this book has had any love from anyone.

it did not entice me at all. it was boring, repetitive, and just not a great read.

maybe if my expectations were low, i would enjoy this. otherwise, i really wanted to enjoy it, but instead, i forced myself to finish.

next book is “we” by yevgeny zamyatin, and i truly hope it isn’t as repetitive as brave new world.

I loved BNW. Less keen on We. Not sure that bodes well or ill...

read that when it first came out - truly fascinating research/read
seems we'd be a much more chill culture if the Council of Nicaea had gone differently

yes, it kind of seems like we shunned everything that felt intuitively right about Jesus teachings and turned it into a structure for control, and yet it endured. I have come around to think it at least possible that Issa was our savior.

yes, it kind of seems like we shunned everything that felt intuitively right about Jesus teachings and turned it into a structure for control, and yet it endured. I have come around to think it at least possible that Issa was our savior.
yup, we gave up spiritual teachings for a very effective bureaucracy

Having signed up for kindle unlimited, I've started reading more and more again. I've got 5 books and one graphic novel downloaded right now and just returned one of the Hellboy comics. But, I'm reading The Handmaid's Tale, The Big Book of Serial Killers (which the writing appears to have been done by someone who didn't finish high school, but it's more just about the facts of the cases anyway, so it doesn't need to be great), The Life of Pi (loved the movie - we'll see how much better the book is), A Killer's Mind (only got it because it was suggested and had over 4 *'s in reviews) and You Have the Right to Remain Innocent (quick read about never talking to the police under any circumstances - I read half of it in an hour). Oh yeah, The Colony is the graphic novel I'm reading though it's more of a comic book too. It's about settling Roanoke but apparently fictionalized with some horror. Just finished a Bill Bryson book (like made of paper) but can't think of the title for the life of me. I wish this day would hurry up so I can just read and not have to keep stopping to do work while at work.

Anyone have any recommendations on real graphic novels with some length to them?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom