What are you reading? (4 Viewers)

Looking at a couple of professional books about math I’m supposed to be reading while rereading Homer Wallins book Pearl Harbor: Why How Fleet Salvage and Final Appraisal Book about the salvage efforts after Pearl Harbor. A nice compliment to Daniel Madsen’s book Resurrection about the same topic.
And those salvaged battleships would have some measure of vengeance during the battle of Leyte Gulf at Surigao Strait

The Cabin at the End of the World by Paul Tremblay

anyone read “locked in” and “head on” by john scalzi?

easy to read, borderline ya. the story, however, is fantastic. i couldn’t stop reading.
i’m reading another by him, the collapsing empire. great so far, if you like sci-fi meets “utopia”.

i also picked up “locked in” on audible sale. all of his books are read by wil wheaton, and he does a great job. listening to him made me appreciate the book even more with his enthusiasm.

Been knocking out a few books to start the year:

Don Quixote-- Every year I start with a large volume book. The first part of the book was better than the second.
The Nightingale-- Very good book. I highly recommend.
Little Fires Everywhere -- Meh.
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo-- very good. I recommend.
Anne of Avonlea -- Sequel to Anne of Green Gables. Not as good as AoGG.
The Tattooist of Auschwitz-- Really good. I recommend.

I'll have to try that one. Just read A Head Full of Ghosts and enjoyed it.

Head Full of Ghosts is still my favorite of his. Cabin was good, but not as good as Ghosts, in my opinion.

Head Full of Ghosts is still my favorite of his. Cabin was good, but not as good as Ghosts, in my opinion.
I'm currently rereading The Damnation Game by Clive Barker. It's up there with The Exorcist as far as creepy factor. I believe it would make a great movie if done right.

I'm currently rereading The Damnation Game by Clive Barker. It's up there with The Exorcist as far as creepy factor. I believe it would make a great movie if done right.

I think I have a copy of Damnation Game on my nightstand (my pile is so large, I lose track). I've been meaning to read it, so I might have to pick that up soon.

Back in February, I started reading the entire Dune series. I just finished God Emporer and have started Dune Heretics. Just one more after that. I’m not sure I’ll read the follow up books.

While on a New Year's trip to the East Cape of New Zealand, we stopped by a used book sale in Opotiki and I struck a gold mine. I collect history books and there was a collection from a retired Colonel in the NZ army. Bought ten books for about $20. I'm reading two now and they rank in my top ten WWII military histories..."The Struggle for Europe" by Chester Wilmot and "Defeat into Victory" by Field Marshall William Slim. The former is probably the best one volume history of WWII (focused on Anglo-American operations) that I've read and the latter is an excellent, in-depth account (auto-biographical) of the lesser known campaign in Burma.

Confessions of a Bronx Bookie - Billy O'Connor

Just finished the last book of the original Dune series, “Chapterhouse Dune”.

Some of these books, in the series, start off kind of slow. This is especially true for “Heretics of Dune” and “Chapterhouse”. However they both pic up the pace midway through and leave you wanting more. Franke Herbert’s son, Brian, wrote several sequels and prequels to his father’s series. I’ve heard that some or good and some are meh.

The entire series is a little under 3000 pages. The original Dune is over 800 pages by itself and a worthy read IMO. “Dune Messiah” is the weakest of the series but is a needed bridge between “Dune” and “Children of Dune”.

I highly recommend the series. Unlike most si-fi books, these do not focus heavily in future tech. They are much more involved with the future politics, personal relationships, and generic evolution of humanity. The politics is done in a way that isn’t dry or boring. There are real reprocussions to decisions made and the impact can last for millennia at times. It’s a damn good read.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom