What Are Your Defensive Expectations? (1 Viewer)

SaintsFanInLA

BREES SMASH!!
Reaction score
Now that we've cleaned house on the defensive side and special teams, what are your expectations next year? I know we haven't hired anyone yet but at this point I have to think anyone is better than what we've had.

It's hard to say at this point.

I wouldn't feel as confident if we stick with the cover-2 concepts that we've been running. If we were to play more aggressive, It would raise my exceptions a bit.

As of now (assuming we don't make many major additions player wise), at best i'd say we finish 25th in defense.

With a good draft and some pieces added in FA to allow us to draft BPA along with getting all of our injured defenders back from IR...I'm putting expectations of an overall ranking of 18 on them.

If we can get some coaches that can be good teachers and motivators and also sign the right players and have another good draft. We could be at the worst 20th. If we can get this right, we should see a lot of improvement in our defense.

Well, I've never really found you to be very defensive but your attitude has been crappy lately. All I said was that you look fat in those jeans. :shrug:

:hihi:

Barring mass injuries, I'm hopeful to see our Saints with a D ranked no worse than 15th. It's not just them, though. We cannot have anymore NY, Tampa, and Detroit games where our O is denied the endzone and Special Teams can only go up from here.

All I ask is to have that little sliver of hope that we can stop them on 3rd down. The last few years I had that crappy feeling that it was a given that a 1st down would be made, regardless of distance. 3rd and 17 felt the same as a 3rd and 2. Anyone have that same feeling?

If the new staff can reverse that feeling in my mind, then I'm good.

I would be happy if we are middle of the pack defense overall and have a positive turnover differential. We could win a lot more games just by doing that.

There are so many areas that need to improve.
1. The defense was last against the pass in 2016.
a. We have got to get better rushing the passer especially on early downs and earlier in the game. We all see that Cam Jordan needs help. Remember when we had Jordan and Jr. on the edges? We had a very good pass rush (but we were weak in the middle). Somehow we need to find an impact edge rusher.
b. We need to get healthy at CB. Injuries decimated us this season. The last season where we had healthy CB's we went to the playoffs.
c. We have got to get better setting the edge on running plays. Backs in the flat continue to kill us. A lot is due to sub par linebacker play. I cringe to think how bad we could have been if Kenny Vicarro missed more games.
d. We lack team speed on defense especially the linebackers. I think we need to go out and sign a stud OLB. Ellerbe cannot be trusted to keep healty but could be depth and Stupar is a ST'r. Nick Perry is 26yr old OLB for GB is an URFA and playing great as an example of a quality upgrade.
e. Byrd is not the same player he once was. We need to draft his replacement. I know we have Bell but we need another option at FS. Bell might be better in the KV role or as the 3rd Safety. FS must be addressed this draft. Eric Barry would be a dream but there are other FA FS out there. We could also look at a Vet like Quintn Demps in Houston. He had 6 intercepts this season (but plays for the number one defense).
Just a few thoughts...​

It won't be popular, but I think we're going to make some noise in free agency.

The reason I believe this, is because what happens if we have another 7-9 season? Or even worse?

I think the consensus is that Payton/loomis might get fired. I think it's understandable if that's the way it goes down.

So, if the staff is looking at possibly their last season, and with Brees possibly in his last season(here), wouldn't it make sense for them to shoot for the moon one last time?

I could see us making a big play for a top-notch CB, and maybe even move up to snag a good pass-rushing specimen or good linebacker.

I'm not saying whether I agree with these moves or not, I'm just saying it wouldn't surprise me if we do that.

It won't be popular, but I think we're going to make some noise in free agency.

The reason I believe this, is because what happens if we have another 7-9 season? Or even worse?

I think the consensus is that Payton/loomis might get fired. I think it's understandable if that's the way it goes down.

So, if the staff is looking at possibly their last season, and with Brees possibly in his last season(here), wouldn't it make sense for them to shoot for the moon one last time?

I could see us making a big play for a top-notch CB, and maybe even move up to snag a good pass-rushing specimen or good linebacker.

I'm not saying whether I agree with these moves or not, I'm just saying it wouldn't surprise me if we do that.

You have inside information ?

All I ask is to have that little sliver of hope that we can stop them on 3rd down. The last few years I had that crappy feeling that it was a given that a 1st down would be made, regardless of distance. 3rd and 17 felt the same as a 3rd and 2. Anyone have that same feeling?

If the new staff can reverse that feeling in my mind, then I'm good.

Your feeling is justified. :9:

A defense that consistently holds the opposition to less than 20 ppg.

This. Pretty simple. And I have no preference how they get that accomplished.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom