What are your expectations? C'mon guys.. (1 Viewer)

rockthedox

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
We had UDFA rookie corners and guys we picked up off the street last week and kept the Giants to 16 points. This was supposed to be a shootout. Manning through O touchdowns. There were no rushing touchdowns. It was all special teams. Our defense held OBJ, Victor Cruz, and Eli Manning to ZERO POINTS.

Wasn't this the worst Defense in the league last year? These young guys are hungry and playing well. They're going to get beat sometimes but the positives far outweigh the negatives. It's the second game and we've lost both of our starting Cornerbacks. We lost two more presumed starting CBs in Lewis and Swann before the season started. How many teams can lose four CBs and still do this well on D? We've got depth and we're coaching them up well.

How about Moore on OBJ? That was a surprisingly solid pickup. I expected whoever was on Beckham to get burned all day.

We had two sacks today and got some pressure on Eli. OBJ had a pretty pedestrian day and that opened up the other guys a little. It seemed like overall Crawley was playing safe, preferring to give them a short completion than give up the big play. I'm ok with that compared to getting burned like White and PRob used to.

The offense couldn't get it going today. It happens sometimes and I would put the loss on them or on the play calling. How many times do we have to throw it to Cadet, Fleener, and Coleman before we realize it's probably not a good idea? If we score one more TD or put up one more FG, we win. There's no way a SP team should ever walk away from a game scoring 13 points.

Overall, I'm encouraged. The offense had a rough day but there's little doubt that this is a powerful offense and our defense is getting stronger each week, despite the major blows we've had to our secondary. They are building this team to be strong and we are contenders next year.

Until then, settle your expectations and enjoy the ride.

:plus-un2: I TOTALLY AGREE with every word.....YES and AMEN. Our guys played hard, and with heart and passion against a very good team at their home. We lost a starting DB early in the game and we were still giving it our all. Mark my words, this is a special young team and they wil come together and I predict sooner than later. We may only be 8 - 8 this year but wait until the next few.

This isn't a Super Bowl team and probably isn't even a playoff team but we're well on the way to building our way there before Drew leaves. For the insane amount of rebuilding we've done we haven't experienced that much pain. Look at other teams as they rebuild and go 1-15, or 3-13. We're not there and won't be anytime soon.

And, who knows, worse teams have snuck into the playoffs, right? I'm just excited to see the team grow and learn each week.

We had UDFA rookie corners and guys we picked up off the street last week and kept the Giants to 16 points. This was supposed to be a shootout. Manning through O touchdowns. There were no rushing touchdowns. It was all special teams. Our defense held OBJ, Victor Cruz, and Eli Manning to ZERO POINTS.

Wasn't this the worst Defense in the league last year? These young guys are hungry and playing well. They're going to get beat sometimes but the positives far outweigh the negatives. It's the second game and we've lost both of our starting Cornerbacks. We lost two more presumed starting CBs in Lewis and Swann before the season started. How many teams can lose four CBs and still do this well on D? We've got depth and we're coaching them up well.

How about Moore on OBJ? That was a surprisingly solid pickup. I expected whoever was on Beckham to get burned all day.

We had two sacks today and got some pressure on Eli. OBJ had a pretty pedestrian day and that opened up the other guys a little. It seemed like overall Crawley was playing safe, preferring to give them a short completion than give up the big play. I'm ok with that compared to getting burned like White and PRob used to.

The offense couldn't get it going today. It happens sometimes and I would put the loss on them or on the play calling. How many times do we have to throw it to Cadet, Fleener, and Coleman before we realize it's probably not a good idea? If we score one more TD or put up one more FG, we win. There's no way a SP team should ever walk away from a game scoring 13 points.

Overall, I'm encouraged. The offense had a rough day but there's little doubt that this is a powerful offense and our defense is getting stronger each week, despite the major blows we've had to our secondary. They are building this team to be strong and we are contenders next year.

This is pro football as in guys are getting paid to deliver results. This defense wasn't terrible but they weren't great today either. They allowed 368 passing yards and allowed the giants to control the time of possession battle. They were average today. Let's demand more of paid professionals and let's demand more of our offense. Saints offense put up 288 total yards of offense. That doesn't win in today's NFL...

Honestly, I'm not shocked by these two games. We've played well against two good teams but I knew the talent on our defense will hurt us. We're not a horrible defense but we don't have enough explosiveness on D to consistently be great there. We have a good team that will have good games and can win 9-10 games but we're not explosive enough to be a playoff threat.

Here is my expectation: When the defense has ONE decent game, FINALLY... The offense needs to just play average, please. I don't think that's too much to ask for.

Here's another expectation: Please start a season off decently for a change. We seem to start every season and almost every game off slowly, and we play catch-up from then on. These Payton teams are not capable of catching up after an 0-2 or 0-3 start. So can we please start off playing decent football for a change?

Honestly, I'm not shocked by these two games. We've played well against two good teams but I knew the talent on our defense will hurt us. We're not a horrible defense but we don't have enough explosiveness on D to consistently be great there. We have a good team that will have good games and can win 9-10 games but we're not explosive enough to be a playoff threat.

We don't need an explosive defense. We just need a defense that isn't literally the worst in NFL history. And when we do get a RARE decent showing out of our defense, we need the offense to show up.

Seems none of that is possible, and here we sit at 0-2.

Sadly Im afraid we're wasting the best qb this team HAS ever had or will ever have.........and I guess I should be happy just to have seen a SB but, man, if it weren't for bad luck (injuries) the saints wouldn't have any luck at all.

I'm not sure what you're point is. You're saying we shouldn't have high expectations. So, you're chastising the people who are expressing disappointment. But, you're also saying that you have high expectations for the rest of the season. Your post is illogical.

Preach brother....they can only get better from here....they played a great game.......

I'm enjoying watching Payton and Co. reshuffle this team and rebuild it while still competing in gameday I agree with everything you said, Moore was a pleasant pickup and could help the secondary with Breaux and PJ out as his veteran presence should hell Crawley and Harris.

7-9 off season....still the same now.

Why are you all shocked and surprised is my question?

I'm not. The same people are running the show making the same decisions with the same philosophy about personnel, money, free agents, draft and game planning. They haven't changed. Why should the outcome?

Are you blaming the loss today on the defense???

All losses are tough but this is about what we expected from a young team. Actually I think they played above expectations today. Losing sucks but we will get better.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom