What are your most evocative songs? (1 Viewer)

Living at the beach. Summer, 1980. Seven guys in a 2 bedroom house next door to six girls. The drinking age was 18. Laissez les bon temps roller :)

While driving to Orlando with the boss after K, Living After Midnight came on the radio...it was also my ringtone, Boss David (RIP)laughs maniacally as I try to answer my phone. I was late to the joke.

not sure what the trigger was, but something made me remember this piece - an entire dance concert to the music from Peter Gabriel;s Last Temptation of Christ soundtrack
i toured with this piece for 3 years
the 1st 20 minutes of this are the most demanding physicality i've ever experienced (including wrestling matches)
it was especially brutal on the lower back
the evocative thing about the music is that for a good decade after i left, i would have a very adverse physical reaction whenever i heard this music
it's better now

Reminds me of a time long lost when I was in a chaotic maelstrom of love and hate. Chasing a girl I thought I was meant to be with. Didnt realize she even knew this song. Talked to her about 3 years ago, which was 12 years removed, and she said “U know what song reminds me of us? Hey Jealousy by the Gin Blossoms.”

Such a bittersweet time in life. Too painful to return to, but too nostalgic to let go of.
[/QUOTE]

This thread is pretty awesome. Great stories so far. Sadly, the song that best fits the topic for me is not very good or otherwise memorable, if not for the extremely firm memory attached to it. I don't hear the song often at all, but when I do it immediately brings me back.

The summer of my freshman year, I realized I could use my scholarship to go to summer school and get room and board. Not only would this lessen my course load during the semester, it kept me from having to find a job to stay in New Orleans or worse, having to return home for a couple months. Through the luck of the draw, I got to stay in the off campus apartments my school had. This was a welcome reprieve from the men's dorm I was in all year long. My own space, no roommate...with the added benefit of being coed. It's cliche to say, but my coming age story probably starts with that summer. Going from a shy, naive kid to one of the jerks in the the popular circles to finally, I think, I decent young man. It started that summer, in my place with a girl I had been crushing on all year. Circumstances brought her and I together one night and in that moment of unrobing, this song came on the radio....

...we didn't change it. Just let it play. To this day, when I here it, I'm taken back to my little apartment. The smell of her perfume, I can see her as clear as day, I can feel the room around me, I remember how the room was lit, the feel of couch under my hand. Every detail....and I smile unintentionally, probably the same smile I had that day.

This thread is pretty awesome. Great stories so far. Sadly, the song that best fits the topic for me is not very good or otherwise memorable, if not for the extremely firm memory attached to it. I don't hear the song often at all, but when I do it immediately brings me back.

The summer of my freshman year, I realized I could use my scholarship to go to summer school and get room and board. Not only would this lessen my course load during the semester, it kept me from having to find a job to stay in New Orleans or worse, having to return home for a couple months. Through the luck of the draw, I got to stay in the off campus apartments my school had. This was a welcome reprieve from the men's dorm I was in all year long. My own space, no roommate...with the added benefit of being coed. It's cliche to say, but my coming age story probably starts with that summer. Going from a shy, naive kid to one of the jerks in the the popular circles to finally, I think, I decent young man. It started that summer, in my place with a girl I had been crushing on all year. Circumstances brought her and I together one night and in that moment of unrobing, this song came on the radio....

...we didn't change it. Just let it play. To this day, when I here it, I'm taken back to my little apartment. The smell of her perfume, I can see her as clear as day, I can feel the room around me, I remember how the room was lit, the feel of couch under my hand. Every detail....and I smile unintentionally, probably the same smile I had that day.
That's a sweet story.

It's Alright, Ma I'm only Bleeding--Bob Dylan: This song kind of encapsulates in parable form New Testament style the kind of world-weary cynicism I have towards human nature, politics, naive idealists on all sides, failed, misplaced optimism in general going on in the world as it's always tended to for thousands of years. It reveals a growing pessimism on Dylan's part towards some of the more radical, destructive impulses the anti-Vietnam War groups werr slowly undergoing. How the mainstream Civil Rights Movement was being splintered into violent, more militant factions like Black Panthers and the Symbionese Liberation Army. It also criticizes limitless unwarranted consumerism, perceived passivity towards important social and political issues from ordinary Americans. Dylan isn't as hopeful or optimistic in his tone or his overall messages in this song unlike previous, more optimistic anthems. It's almost like he could see how many of the 60s counterculture movements would fade out or diminish by the time the Vietnam War receded into the background by the early 70's with Nixon's Vietnamization policy and the gradual removal of US combat troops by late 1969 from South Vietnam.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom