What are your most evocative songs? (1 Viewer)

saintmdterps

Falling feels like flying til you hit the ground.
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Songs that immediately take you back to a certain time and place? I have many, but some of the top contenders are:

Just Like Heaven, by The Cure. New Years' Eve 1988. The alternative cover band at the club played the song 3 times, the last at 4AM just before closing. I left with Michele and got no sleep :mwink:

(I Just) Died in Your Arms by The Cutting Crew. Spring break 1987, senior year of college and the radio stations played it incessantly. I still like the song because of it's association with Key West, beer, and women :)

September, 2009. My wife and I agreed to separate following a 2 hour phone conversation. Old baggage and old notions. I had a big cry, went out to the back yard on a beautiful day and thought "Well, that's all for it then" and pulled out my iPod. I hit shuffle to see what the Universe had in mind. "No Woman, No Cry" by Bob Marley. Sheee-it :hihi:

We reconciled a year later :)

Last edited:
Separate Ways by Journey.

High School weight room, volume turned to 11. We had a Strength and Conditioning coach that loved Journey. We all swore that he had a cassette tape with only this song on it (both sides).

Naughty By Nature - O.P.P.

College Fraternity Off Probation Party. Well we went right back on probation after that night.

I have more but these just always seem to bring a flood of memories back to me.

Filter, Take a Picture. Playing when I met my wife. In a bar. Of course :hihi:

Last edited:
i won't post the 1st one bc it was in the guilty pleasures thread
Buenos Aires, the girls who worked at the theatre invited us to some community dance (it was like in a VFW hall sort of space, but whole families are there)
"I will Always Love You" comes on - until that moment i had hated that song - one slow dance with the right person changed all that

she's also the focus of the 2nd evocative song
this one i listened to most of the plane ride back to the States

this one is evocative bc of the song itself
hanging out at a bar near in the Garment District in NYC, this song comes on and i knew music had just changed at that moment

similarly, at a grocery store in Santander Spain - this song comes on and i have to ask who it was but also if this was 'grandma' music or not (she said no, 20 yr olds could listen to it also)

Spring Break

i made a thread about this next one
at a Lincoln center outdoors concert - irish balladeer started this song and i was riveted very much hoping the last chorus wasn't going to be what it obviously had to be

As far as my childhood.

My brother-in-law had stacks of records. Elton John made me realize I loved music.

First song to come to mind:

My mom and dad weren't music lovers. But my dad and my cousin (my best friend) and I were in the truck and my dad let us play a cassette while he was driving us to a movie.

My dad commented that liked one song and it made me proud. I always think of him when I hear it.

What's funny is that it was one of my guilty pleasures posts.

On a more somber note, this song came out in 1988 four years after my father died and it nailed our relationship. Mile Rutherford and BA Robertson wrote the song after their fathers had recently passed away. the song deals with the crap we leave behind, and the crap we refused to deal with. The crap is still there--35 years later.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom