Saints What bummed you out the MOST about the Saints' 2019 season? (1 Viewer)

ndcc

Saints' fan 4ever
VIP Contributor
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sad to leave NOLA to AZ; going into ministry
Sticky Post
Given the way the season started, I believe we were blessed to get to 13-3. We finished tied for our best regular season record. Also, with all the injuries, you have to wonder how DOMINANT we could have been. Oh, well...

To me, the most disappointing things about our season were:

1a. Brees lack of arm strength for the deep ball, and

1b. Finishing among the BEST in fewest turnovers, yet laying an egg with 2 giveaways in the Divisional round. We beat Minny, and I believe we'd be playing this weekend.

Would, coulda, shoulda... yeah, I know.

:gosaints:

Swimmer

Medsamust Saint Fan
VIP Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Given the way the season started, I believe we were blessed to get to 13-3. We finished tied for our best regular season record. Also, with all the injuries, you have to wonder how DOMINANT we could have been. Oh, well...

1b. Finishing among the BEST in fewest turnovers, yet laying an egg with 2 giveaways in the Divisional round. We beat Minny, and I believe we'd be playing this weekend.

ndcc - very painful to read your post because I think you nailed it head-on.

Reaction score
1) Brees and the Saints offense being flat vs the Vikings. AFTER weeks of “we are ascending to the playoffs”

2) The decline of AK’s performance and efficiency

tomwaits

Frontier Psychiatrist
Reaction score
This forum was most disappointing for me. Football is just a game. It’s just entertainment. But we’re supposed to be fans. There were so many “Fire this guy” “cut this guy” “this guy doesn’t deserve to see an nfl field” etc etc etc. just mind numbing at times.
Crazy over-reactions on forums are part of the game.
:facts3:

Holy Avenger

Pro-Bowler
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
You know what bothered me? We were a 13-3 team and the entire season seemed annoying, aggravating and not fun in the slightest. I mean, it ended because of a coin flip, the overtime rules have been dumb forever, and I admit that even though we benefited in 2009. But ...

- Every game they took a touchdown from us - or if not EVERY game, it certainly seemed that way.
- The started out by blowing the whistle when Cam had that TD in the Rams game. By the end of the season they let plays go but you still couldn't "enjoy" a play like the fumble return for a touchdown against the Vikings at the end because they are going to go through each play on a frame by frame basis. They managed to do two opposite things and suck at both.
- The league is desperately trying to keep the games close because they want eyeballs on the ads for the 4th quarter for every game and the result is that the games are unwatchable due to flags called or penalties that they let go.

I think that's what I'll take out of it. Each game I saw was unpleasant to sit through. It's been a situation for years where I have to have something else going on on a different screen because the constant interruptions to an NFL game are excruciating, but now the actual games suck to watch as well. I couldn't imagine thinking that for a 13-3 team. But they won't fix it while Goodell is around, I am sure he's taking a Dremel to his nipples with how happy he is that the games are close, too stupid to understand what's happening.

insidejob

Respect existence or expect resistance.
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
4. Secondary with low football IQ. Williams is Exhibit A. Did you see players on other teams including LB's tackling Kittle high?
I think at that point they were holding him up trying to strip the ball since he'd already made it into chip shot FG territory. He never should have been so loosely covered to begin with though.

FWtex

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
1) The team coming out completely unprepared and flat against Atlanta after the by week.

2) The team having no answer to stop a 49er offense after having 10 days to prepare.

3) The team coming out completely unprepared and flat against the Vikings int the Wildcard playoff game...at home.

See a pattern here?
This ... and each one was a home game that had extra meaning to be prepared for the best performance and the team did not rise to it.

This being the first time having a stretch of games without Brees it provided an ability to see a contrast of the team with and without Brees. It appeared to me that when Brees was out the team rallied around each other and some players became the defacto game day leaders. When Brees came back it appeared they all were looking to Brees as the team leader. It was a weird dynamic to see.

zeketombar

Veteran
Reaction score
Thing that bothered me most is the full context of what we failed to achieve relative to NFL history. 10 teams have gone 13-3 (or more) for two straight season.
We are the only one that failed to reach a Super Bowl. That's sickening, if we think about how unlikely it is that we did not get to play for a championship at least
once. Now, some of that is luck (officials/top-heavy NFC), but this was our time and we were a few plays short.

Ronnie

Been Here Since Day 1
Reaction score
You know what bothered me? We were a 13-3 team and the entire season seemed annoying, aggravating and not fun in the slightest. I mean, it ended because of a coin flip, the overtime rules have been dumb forever, and I admit that even though we benefited in 2009. But ...

- Every game they took a touchdown from us - or if not EVERY game, it certainly seemed that way.
- The started out by blowing the whistle when Cam had that TD in the Rams game. By the end of the season they let plays go but you still couldn't "enjoy" a play like the fumble return for a touchdown against the Vikings at the end because they are going to go through each play on a frame by frame basis. They managed to do two opposite things and suck at both.
- The league is desperately trying to keep the games close because they want eyeballs on the ads for the 4th quarter for every game and the result is that the games are unwatchable due to flags called or penalties that they let go.

I think that's what I'll take out of it. Each game I saw was unpleasant to sit through. It's been a situation for years where I have to have something else going on on a different screen because the constant interruptions to an NFL game are excruciating, but now the actual games suck to watch as well. I couldn't imagine thinking that for a 13-3 team. But they won't fix it while Goodell is around, I am sure he's taking a Dremel to his nipples with how happy he is that the games are close, too stupid to understand what's happening.
I thought the same thing, 13-3, but the season wasn't fun to watch. It felt like we lost even though we won in a lot of these games this year.

jsberry

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score

My thoughts completely. This was the least enjoyable 13-3 season a team could have. After every good offensive play, and after every third-down stop, I responded not with a cheer but with a wince and a frantic look for a flag. Even after we clinched the division, the playoffs loomed like an ominous storm, as every team we needed to lose, didn't.

One quibble - it did not start with the Rams game; they screwed us in the first half of game 1 against the Texans...

Pa.Saint

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
for me it was week 14 had a 3 pt lead, 4th and 2,... 58 seconds left, ball on niners side of the field. Couldn't get er done., threw us into the wild card

KingBarkus

King of Nuttin'
Reaction score
I think at that point they were holding him up trying to strip the ball since he'd already made it into chip shot FG territory. He never should have been so loosely covered to begin with though.
I'm talking about the initial hit. Williams hit him high. Physics will tell you Williams would never get Kittle off his feet with that hit and the size difference was never going to push him oob. The play is to drive on that outside lower leg. I watched other defenders tackle Kittle later in the year. Even big LB's were tackling the legs as the initial hit. It goes back to Williams' football IQ. We know the Minny miracle was a complete mental failure.

sfidc3

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
For me I knew it was going to be very tough when both Rankins and Davenport went on IR....

Then I felt some optimism because of the way our offense was playing to end the season (particularly the offensive line)

Then the offensive line shats the bed against the Vikings...

That about sums it up for me....

Swimmer

Medsamust Saint Fan
VIP Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score

Hey NDCC!! Whassup brother!

For me personally, not getting a tryout with the Saints was the biggest disappointment of the year. It would have been a tryout the Saints never would have forgotten - lmao

OP
OP
ndcc

ndcc

Saints' fan 4ever
VIP Contributor
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sad to leave NOLA to AZ; going into ministry
Hey NDCC!! Whassup brother!

For me personally, not getting a tryout with the Saints was the biggest disappointment of the year. It would have been a tryout the Saints never would have forgotten - lmao
Swimmer: Last I checked, you made it on the 54th spot on the Saints' roster. :ezbill:

onanygivensunday

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Overall, my biggest disappointment is we just couldn't rise to the occasion when it counted most. 49ers game and Vikings game come to mind.
And that's why the team got bounced out of the playoffs when they did.

No team can play their best for every game in a season... but the very good to borderline elite teams break even or very close to it in big games. The Saints went 0-2 in the games you referenced.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom