Saints What bummed you out the MOST about the Saints' 2019 season? (1 Viewer)

ndcc

Saints' fan 4ever
VIP Contributor
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sad to leave NOLA to AZ; going into ministry
Sticky Post
Given the way the season started, I believe we were blessed to get to 13-3. We finished tied for our best regular season record. Also, with all the injuries, you have to wonder how DOMINANT we could have been. Oh, well...

To me, the most disappointing things about our season were:

1a. Brees lack of arm strength for the deep ball, and

1b. Finishing among the BEST in fewest turnovers, yet laying an egg with 2 giveaways in the Divisional round. We beat Minny, and I believe we'd be playing this weekend.

Would, coulda, shoulda... yeah, I know.

:gosaints:

Super44

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Inability to get off the field on 3rd downs and inability to convert 3rd downs, in a way, that you would think that is acceptable for a 13-3 team.

onanygivensunday

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Inability to get off the field on 3rd downs and inability to convert 3rd downs, in a way, that you would think that is acceptable for a 13-3 team.
There's two kinds of 13-3 teams. The ones that have a dominating defense and those that have a non-stoppable offense.

The 2019 Saints were closer to the latter than the former.

HAGZILLA

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I call complete BS on this one. The Vikes scored 20 points in regulation....and the Saints defense struggled to stop the run because both Rankins and Davenport were on IR.

I don't think it is coincidental that the game that Klein was out the 9ers destroyed our defense. He sets the defensive alignments. He was a backup in Carolina because the starter was this guy named Luke Kuechly...

Couple of examples at 3:00 and 4:21, there was a few others I noticed, just can’t find tape. Big fan of Klein but we couldn’t make plays on defense against the Rams last postseason and the Vikings this past year when we needed it most. We need impact players. I’ve watched the game a few times and it is obvious they went after Klein, Marcus Williams and anyone of our nickel and dime cb’s.

HAGZILLA

Practice Squad
Reaction score
PJ Williams was one of our best and most consistent players all year. So was Klein. I love Robertson just as much as the next but he was late to see and react to plays (watch the 49ers game, again) EVERYTHING was open underneath when he played and Klein was out.

Weeks 1-8 he was ranked 116 out 117

CSP has been patient with PJ Williams over the year, he has been anything but consistent. Sometimes he’s great, sometimes he gives up the game winning TD. That’s exactly the difference between a playoff team and a Champion.

Pa.Saint

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
week 14, 4th and 2, 58 secs left, ball on 9ers side of field. Couldn't get it dome, resulting in wild card.:cry:

los226

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Payton is my biggest disappointment of the season. He did a phenomenal job when Brees was out only to get cute and chase records down the stretch.

He didn’t play Murray enough after he showed he was the best Saints RB of the 2019 season and he didn’t stick with Taysom in the playoff game.

All of it comes back to the same fault that had Joe Vitt here for so long and that’s Payton’s loyalty. He had to ride the hot hand in all those scenarios and he failed to do so because he couldn’t keep himself from involving Kamara and Brees because those were and are his studs. He should’ve acknowledged what was working instead of sticking to his guns.

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The day that both Rankins and Davenport went on IR I knew we had lost our opportunity to win a ring this year. Even if we had gotten past Minnesota, we weren't getting anywhere without the dominant pass rush we had all season long. It was carrying our defense and it was masking some real liabilities in the back 7. They were both also really good against the run.
Pretty much where I'm at. Losing one or the other, we'd be ok. But losing both of them is just too much. And losing Cook in the SF game very likely cost us that game. We beat SF, the playoffs look a lot different. The SF was probably the toughest of the 3 regular season losses because of how much was at stake.

In the Vikes game, there was a significant injury to one of the defensive backs, and I believe that pass to Thielen doesn't happen with the right players on him.

Tough way to lose because the Saints has opportunities to win that game and the bounces didn't go our way.

Quiet Storm

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score

Weeks 1-8 he was ranked 116 out 117

CSP has been patient with PJ Williams over the year, he has been anything but consistent. Sometimes he’s great, sometimes he gives up the game winning TD. That’s exactly the difference between a playoff team and a Champion.
That's the same PFF that said Brady's game of 3 TD's and 2 INTs was a better rating than Brees 5 TDs 0 INT in his yardage record breaking game (yes, that was the same week they rated those two). The same PFF that has Marcus Williams as one of the best safeties in the game. I'll defer on whatever rating they have for PJ Williams.

Reaction score
Given the way the season started, I believe we were blessed to get to 13-3. We finished tied for our best regular season record. Also, with all the injuries, you have to wonder how DOMINANT we could have been. Oh, well...

To me, the most disappointing things about our season were:

1a. Brees lack of arm strength for the deep ball, and

1b. Finishing among the BEST in fewest turnovers, yet laying an egg with 2 giveaways in the Divisional round. We beat Minny, and I believe we'd be playing this weekend.

Would, coulda, shoulda... yeah, I know.

:gosaints:
How bad we played the last game and poor running game at the end of the season. Payton was not himself that last week.

sfidc3

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score

Couple of examples at 3:00 and 4:21, there was a few others I noticed, just can’t find tape. Big fan of Klein but we couldn’t make plays on defense against the Rams last postseason and the Vikings this past year when we needed it most. We need impact players. I’ve watched the game a few times and it is obvious they went after Klein, Marcus Williams and anyone of our nickel and dime cb’s.
You can show all the film you want. This loss was entirely on the Saint offense. The defense gave up 20 points in regulation. One of the Vikes TD's came after an interception gave them a short field. If our offense cannot generate more than 20 points and turns it over twice (at home mind you) we are almost always going to lose.

The defense did their job in regulation, the offense (particularly the offensive line and play calling) lost this game....

EvilMike

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
You can show all the film you want. This loss was entirely on the Saint offense. The defense gave up 20 points in regulation. One of the Vikes TD's came after an interception gave them a short field. If our offense cannot generate more than 20 points and turns it over twice (at home mind you) we are almost always going to lose.

The defense did their job in regulation, the offense (particularly the offensive line and play calling) lost this game....
But yet, they were in position to win and all the D had to do was make a stop, just like last year against the Rams, just like the Vikings the year before.

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
But yet, they were in position to win and all the D had to do was make a stop, just like last year against the Rams, just like the Vikings the year before.
Yeah, but to be fair, the defense shouldn't have been put in that position to begin with.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom