Saints What bummed you out the MOST about the Saints' 2019 season? (1 Viewer)

The day that both Rankins and Davenport went on IR I knew we had lost our opportunity to win a ring this year. Even if we had gotten past Minnesota, we weren't getting anywhere without the dominant pass rush we had all season long. It was carrying our defense and it was masking some real liabilities in the back 7. They were both also really good against the run.

Pretty much where I'm at. Losing one or the other, we'd be ok. But losing both of them is just too much. And losing Cook in the SF game very likely cost us that game. We beat SF, the playoffs look a lot different. The SF was probably the toughest of the 3 regular season losses because of how much was at stake.

In the Vikes game, there was a significant injury to one of the defensive backs, and I believe that pass to Thielen doesn't happen with the right players on him.

Tough way to lose because the Saints has opportunities to win that game and the bounces didn't go our way.

Weeks 1-8 he was ranked 116 out 117

CSP has been patient with PJ Williams over the year, he has been anything but consistent. Sometimes he’s great, sometimes he gives up the game winning TD. That’s exactly the difference between a playoff team and a Champion.

That's the same PFF that said Brady's game of 3 TD's and 2 INTs was a better rating than Brees 5 TDs 0 INT in his yardage record breaking game (yes, that was the same week they rated those two). The same PFF that has Marcus Williams as one of the best safeties in the game. I'll defer on whatever rating they have for PJ Williams.

Given the way the season started, I believe we were blessed to get to 13-3. We finished tied for our best regular season record. Also, with all the injuries, you have to wonder how DOMINANT we could have been. Oh, well...

To me, the most disappointing things about our season were:

1a. Brees lack of arm strength for the deep ball, and

1b. Finishing among the BEST in fewest turnovers, yet laying an egg with 2 giveaways in the Divisional round. We beat Minny, and I believe we'd be playing this weekend.

Would, coulda, shoulda... yeah, I know.

:gosaints:
How bad we played the last game and poor running game at the end of the season. Payton was not himself that last week.

Couple of examples at 3:00 and 4:21, there was a few others I noticed, just can’t find tape. Big fan of Klein but we couldn’t make plays on defense against the Rams last postseason and the Vikings this past year when we needed it most. We need impact players. I’ve watched the game a few times and it is obvious they went after Klein, Marcus Williams and anyone of our nickel and dime cb’s.

You can show all the film you want. This loss was entirely on the Saint offense. The defense gave up 20 points in regulation. One of the Vikes TD's came after an interception gave them a short field. If our offense cannot generate more than 20 points and turns it over twice (at home mind you) we are almost always going to lose.

The defense did their job in regulation, the offense (particularly the offensive line and play calling) lost this game....

You can show all the film you want. This loss was entirely on the Saint offense. The defense gave up 20 points in regulation. One of the Vikes TD's came after an interception gave them a short field. If our offense cannot generate more than 20 points and turns it over twice (at home mind you) we are almost always going to lose.

The defense did their job in regulation, the offense (particularly the offensive line and play calling) lost this game....
But yet, they were in position to win and all the D had to do was make a stop, just like last year against the Rams, just like the Vikings the year before.

These are the 4 things that disappointed me the most:

1. HOW WE LOST IN THE PLAYOFFS: It it not so much that we lost to the Vikings, but how we lost. The offensive line play against Minnesota was just awful.....it was a plain beat-down how the front 4 of the Vikings was in the backfield all day. It was a miracle we even got to overtime. There was no running game and protection whatsoever. It was really disheartening to witness.

And to see a walk-off game-winning touchdown with a no-call offensive pass interference just gave you a feeling of that the Super Bowl Gods may have just closed the championship window for this crew.

2. LACK OF RUNNING GAME CHEMISTRY AND ATTACK: The smash-mouth running game of two years ago with Ingram and Kamara just never materialized. Murray had his moments, but just never clicked with Kamara as a 1-2 punch. The offensive line play, the play-calling and Kamara being banged up just added up to an underwhelming and disappointing running attack overall. What happened to the 1-2 running AND receiving power game plan that Ingram and Kamara had two years ago......Payton never seemed to use them both as receiving weapons and never fed Murray enough consistent carries.

3. TAYSOM HILL AS A WEAPON: Hill emerged the last few weeks a real receiving, running and passing weapon. I would have loved to see Hill play more flanker and wide receiver and ultimately get more touches as a receiver over the last few weeks and especially in the playoffs. He was matchup NIGHTMARE and I felt was very under-utilized as a receiving weapon.....which ultimately led to my final disappointment:

4. THE ANTONIO BROWN FIASCO: This one was a real head-scratcher. Sure, we had questions at receiver, but the team was meshing nicely at the end of the season. I just feel this was a huge distraction and was one of the reasons for being flat going against the Vikings. It just did not make sense to bring him in knowing what circus he would bring and ultimately what a distraction it would be to the locker room. .....signed or un-signed. Why coach Payton? Why mess with the good mojo entering the playoffs by bringing in a cancer like Antonio Brown for a workout?

Yeah, but to be fair, the defense shouldn't have been put in that position to begin with.
What? To stop a team from marching down the field with only 53 seconds left? To not give up a 39 yard pass play on 4th and 2, with a facemask penalty thrown in to boot? The D folded like a bad lawn chair when it mattered most, just like the Vikings game this year, just like the Rams game last year, and just like the Vikings game 2 years ago. Nothing has changed.

What bummed me out was that unlike past disappointments we can't blame the refs or miracles for the failure. This year the enemy was us. A wake up call saying we need to make some changes. We just don't have enough laurels to sit on.

What? To stop a team from marching down the field with only 53 seconds left? To not give up a 39 yard pass play on 4th and 2, with a facemask penalty thrown in to boot? The D folded like a bad lawn chair when it mattered most, just like the Vikings game this year, just like the Rams game last year, and just like the Vikings game 2 years ago. Nothing has changed.

My point stands though. If the offense doesn't crap the bed most of the game, and turn the ball over twice, the defense wouldn't have been put in the position they were in at the end of the game. If we didn't lose Davenport, Rankins and a key defense back towards the end of the season, the results would have been much different.

I still stay the offense did more to lose the Vikes game than the defense did.

4. THE ANTONIO BROWN FIASCO: This one was a real head-scratcher. Sure, we had questions at receiver, but the team was meshing nicely at the end of the season. I just feel this was a huge distraction and was one of the reasons for being flat going against the Vikings. It just did not make sense to bring him in knowing what circus he would bring and ultimately what a distraction it would be to the locker room. .....signed or un-signed. Why coach Payton? Why mess with the good mojo entering the playoffs by bringing in a cancer like Antonio Brown for a workout?

In total agreement with your first one but above? Not even a blip on the radar to me, I forgot about it as soon as it was over....

My point stands though. If the offense doesn't crap the bed most of the game, and turn the ball over twice, the defense wouldn't have been put in the position they were in at the end of the game. If we didn't lose Davenport, Rankins and a key defense back towards the end of the season, the results would have been much different.

I still stay the offense did more to lose the Vikes game than the defense did.

Your point is well made, I simply can't understand why some folks don't get this....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom