What can the Saints do with 3.3 mil? (1 Viewer)

Ok so Ivory covers the draft picks. But is 3.7 or 3.3 million enough to cover our offers to NA, Butler, a back up QB, and atleast a stop gap at LT? I think we may still need to find more money. That's not even counting Porter, an a OLB, or others we have been reported to be interested in. I think there will have to be more moves made.

With 3.77 mil, I can sign at least 4 players. Sign McKinnie: 2 yrs, 2 mil signing bonus, 1 mil against the cap this year. Sign Butler, 5 years, 5 mil sb, 1 mil against the cap this year. Sign Nnamdi, 3 yrs, the same. And I still have .77 mil for another player.

Thats very simplistic. But if I can do that, imagine what Mickey can do!

i have that much faith in loomis, that i barely even pay attention to the cap. he really is a genius in the way he moves it around and makes it work.

You have to pay them a salary too, it's not just the signing bonus that counts against the cap. Depending on there years in the league the more there vet base salary is. Also our offer to NA is suppose to be higher than S.Fran so I would assume it's more than a vet minimum contract.

Ok so Ivory covers the draft picks. But is 3.7 or 3.3 million enough to cover our offers to NA, Butler, a back up QB, and atleast a stop gap at LT? I think we may still need to find more money. That's not even counting Porter, an a OLB, or others we have been reported to be interested in. I think there will have to be more moves made.

I'm pulling these numbers out of my ***, but just as an example offseason

Tracy Porter 1 year / $1.5 million
Victor Butler 2 years / $7 million ($3 guaranteed, minimum first year base)
Bryant McKinnie 2 years / $6 million ($2 guaranteed, minimum first year base)

That's cap hits of 1, 1.5ish, and 2, putting us around $1 million over our cap figure. The 2014 hits would be $5 million for Butler and $4 million for McKinnie with potential dead money figures of $1.5 and $1. In Butler's case you might would choose to extend it (if he ended up starting) and can lower the cap hit in that manner.

I don't know, even another $1 million, outside of Ivory, would be hard to find. Probably mean doing something with either Harper or Greer (which might would be possible if you added Porter, but honestly I'd rather just keep Greer).

Doesn't solve the backup QB issue but I really couldn't care less about that. Sign Sean Canfield or whatever.

No, you're only going to see 1, maybe 2 of those type guys, tops, and the rest will be Courtney Robys and Will Herrings.

Butler is a HORRIBLE decision! We need Nnamdi and either pick up a LT or draft one if one of the three are available at 15, and also a #2 WR (such as DHB who would be a a perfect compliment to colston, hes fast,he runs routes well, hes big, physical, he's good in and out of his cuts, young, and can catch very well) everything else we can manage with current players or draft. And as for butler he's just not worth what he's wanting and I will put money on it that one of the two out of martez and galette have much better numbers than butler does wherever that over priced ove rated player ends up!

Pat Kirwin said today that the Saints were at 2.7 and as of this point next year with just 42 players scheduled to be under contract they were 18 over the cap for 2014 I'm assuming he is going by a 123m cap figure. I'd guess it will be about 125m next year which isn't much better.

Brees will get a cap-freeing three year extension next year like the one Brady got. Brees will be locked down for another 6 years and the cap will be eased.

We need to plug the one big need we have: Left O-Tackle. Then draft the best available talent.

Well the draftees don't count against the cap till they are signed. Also during training camp only the top 53 count against the cap and they have more than 53 on the roster during training camp so there is wiggle room there. So for now you could sign a player to a 2 or 3 year deal and have most of the pay in a signing bonus and thus stretch out that money. So 3 mil could be stretched out to 9 mil.

False...you have to have the available cap space for all of your picks in order to qualify for participation in the draft process a.k.a. the NFL Annual Selection Meeting. This is commonly referred to as the "rookie pool."

Also, it's the top 51 salaries, not 53.

Super double false

How does the NFL Draft impact the Salary Cap?

Answer: Team salary includes the Rookie Minimum Active Salary we of the day of the draft for all drafted rookies. The salary for drafted rookies will stay at this amount until the player is signed, the team’s rights are relinquished through waivers, or until the Tuesday following the tenth week of the regular season if the player remains unsigned. Note also that there is a Rookie Salary Cap, which is a subset of the overall cap. Each team has its own unique Rookie Salary Cap, based on the number of draft picks they have and where in each round the picks ocurred.

NFL Salary Cap - FAQ

So effectively all rookies would not be in the top 51 contracts until signed to rookie deals that effectively put them there.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8rwPovyR9HY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

My bad, fellas. I somehow forgot that we're under a new CBA. My mistake.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom