What can the Saints do with 3.3 mil? (1 Viewer)

Whodat GT

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Per PFT, the Saints have 3.3 mil in cap space as of march 26. I know the number is probably not accurate, but you can imagine that the real number is not far off. So, do we have any cap experts here that could project on how to spend this money? And do you think that's enough money for one or two more rotational or even starting players?

I was wondering just that... if the Saints have to fit drafted players in the cap, then how can they keep looking for free agents (don't say "trust in loomis")?

I was wondering just that... if the Saints have to fit drafted players in the cap, then how can they keep looking for free agents (don't say "trust in loomis")?

I'm sure they still have options for restructures and releasings if necessary. Such as Harper.

You basically said, "What is 2+2? Don't say 4!"

The answer is that Loomis knows how to make it happen. There was one time that I almost doubted him but I came around just in time.

Well the draftees don't count against the cap till they are signed. Also during training camp only the top 53 count against the cap and they have more than 53 on the roster during training camp so there is wiggle room there. So for now you could sign a player to a 2 or 3 year deal and have most of the pay in a signing bonus and thus stretch out that money. So 3 mil could be stretched out to 9 mil.

Pat Kirwin said today that the Saints were at 2.7 and as of this point next year with just 42 players scheduled to be under contract they were 18 over the cap for 2014 I'm assuming he is going by a 123m cap figure. I'd guess it will be about 125m next year which isn't much better.

Well the draftees don't count against the cap till they are signed. Also during training camp only the top 53 count against the cap and they have more than 53 on the roster during training camp so there is wiggle room there. So for now you could sign a player to a 2 or 3 year deal and have most of the pay in a signing bonus and thus stretch out that money. So 3 mil could be stretched out to 9 mil.

You have to have the available cap space for all of your picks in order to qualify for participation in the draft process a.k.a. the NFL Annual Selection Meeting. This is commonly referred to as the "rookie pool."

Also, it's the top 51 salaries, not 53.

EDIT: I stand corrected. I did not realize this changed with the new CBA. It is the top 51 salaries, but that rule now applies to the rookies and indeed, you don't have to have the space prior to the draft anymore.

Pat Kirwin said today that the Saints were at 2.7 and as of this point next year with just 42 players scheduled to be under contract they were 18 over the cap for 2014 I'm assuming he is going by a 123m cap figure. I'd guess it will be about 125m next year which isn't much better.

All of his figures are incorrect.

Well, no, 2014 is in fact next year. All other figures are incorrect.

New Orleans Saints - 2013 Cap Hits

False...you have to have the available cap space for all of your picks in order to qualify for participation in the draft process a.k.a. the NFL Annual Selection Meeting. This is commonly referred to as the "rookie pool."

Also, it's the top 51 salaries, not 53..

Super double false

How does the NFL Draft impact the Salary Cap?

Answer: Team salary includes the Rookie Minimum Active Salary as of the day of the draft for all drafted rookies. The salary for drafted rookies will stay at this amount until the player is signed, the team’s rights are relinquished through waivers, or until the Tuesday following the tenth week of the regular season if the player remains unsigned. Note also that there is a Rookie Salary Cap, which is a subset of the overall cap. Each team has its own unique Rookie Salary Cap, based on the number of draft picks they have and where in each round the picks ocurred.

NFL Salary Cap - FAQ

So effectively all rookies would not be in the top 51 contracts until signed to rookie deals that effectively put them there.

BTW our rookie salary cap pool is projected by some at $3.6 million, which sounds like a pretty good estimate. Maybe a bit more or less, but likely not much.

This doesn't mean we need $3.6 million in space, however, as, again, any salary added to the top 51 also moves one off, meaning the first $500k of each salary at this point is essentially already accounted for.

Let think about this for a minute. We have offers out to two players we know of right now. We still need to sign a LT and a back up QB. Right now let's say we are between the two amounts listed which would be around 3 million under the cap. Plus we need money to sign our draft picks. What do you think is going to happen? Over paid vets will take cuts or be cut, and with June 1st designations no one is out of the question. Should be interesting. I have a feeling many on here will not be happy with what could happen.

Let think about this for a minute. We have offers out to two players we know of right now. We still need to sign a LT and a back up QB. Right now let's say we are between the two amounts listed which would be around 3 million under the cap. Plus we need money to sign our draft picks. What do you think is going to happen? Over paid vets will take cuts or be cut, and with June 1st designations no one is out of the question. Should be interesting. I have a feeling many on here will not be happy with what could happen.

We don't need to split the difference. We're currently $3.77 million under the cap, not accounting for Herring's contract. Depending on it's nature, it could cost us anything from zero cap space to $500k, which is how most are arriving at the $3.3 figure I would assume. The $2.7 million figure is a seemingly arbitrarily arrived at number with no relation to anything going on and should be dismissed as the entirety of everything else Kirwin said, which was even worse.

It's highly unlikely Ivory remains on the roster much past the draft. His $2 million dollar tender would likely be sufficient to sign all of our rookies. We could, somewhat comfortably, add another mid-level veteran (at Watson's level) and then a handful of near-vet minimum veterans. Adding a second mid-level veteran would require some corresponding salary cap moves, likely.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom