What charitities/organizations do you donate to? (1 Viewer)

Forest

Banned
Reaction score
I'm looking to start tithing to an organization, maybe a few. Anyone out here do any regular donations to any organizations or any experiences with any?

Wish I could help you out, but here the past few years I, like a billion others, cannot. I guess my favorite charity to donate to is my savings account (when possible that is :) )

hospice is a good charity to donate to, and the battered women and children charity is another we donate to

We give money to our church, to a Catholic organization helping poor kids in India, Food for the Poor and donate household items to a local charity.

I donate time to Sr.com, thats a good organization to give too. and a damn good one to lurk, post on, and argue about certain political topics that may make people duke it out in normal everyday life

My wife and I direct all our charitable contributions to a crisis nursery in Spokane. It's a place where battered or simply overwhelmed women can go to stay or to drop off their little ones before something tragic happens.

On principle, I don't give to "umbrella" organizations because I don't feel like subsidizing the organization itself (or buying Bibles for anybody). I'd rather my money went unskimmed to the people I'm trying to help.

Wish I could help you out, but here the past few years I, like a billion others, cannot. I guess my favorite charity to donate to is my savings account (when possible that is :) )

You can start with three piggy banks: one for savings, one for tithing, and one for investing. Start small and put a dollar, or even 50 cents, in each one everyday and get in the habbit.

It's easier than you think.

I donate time and money to individuals

What individuals?

Last edited:
I donate time and money to individuals

Thats the way to go... most "charities" have operating costs and one of those "costs" is the salaries of the people who run the charity....I hate to say it but one of the worst is the United Way... they have several 6 figure salary exec type people .... yea they do some nice things but with the money they bring in .. they should/could do more.....and never give to a phone solicited donation to the PBA or fire department...90% of the time this is a company who gives about 10% of your donation to the PBA and uses the other 90% on operating costs...its totally leagal and they are "not for profit" . that only means that they cant report a profit at the end of the year....a $120,000 salary is part of their "costs" to raise the money to give to the PBA or FD.....

dont get snagged in that little trap....

..instead.. find someone who needs a hand and help them out....even if its something stupid like the guy down the block with 6 kids lawn mower blows and you know its tight for him right now... buy him a new mower and put in his driveway with a note..... " From Santa"... if he does not know who its from he cant try to give it back... and every time you see him use it you'll smile ...

I love stuff like that..

Sure, why not?

I have no idea if you're just being dull or incredibly rude.

hammernnails said:
Thats the way to go...

..instead.. find someone who needs a hand and help them out....

I live in the small town I grew up in with most of my family in the surrounding region. My situation gives me the ability to interact with lots of people I know really well who have a variety of needs that more often then not couldn't be fulfilled by a large umbrella organization anyways. I've also been on the receiving end of that sort of help plenty of times.

This isn't an indictment on national organizations or anything like that, I don't know enough about any of them to say much of anything, this is just where I am at personally.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom