What constitutes a draft bust? (1 Viewer)

i'd say a pick from the first half of the first round who is waived by the end of his rookie contract or traded for a 6th or 7th rounder... the lower the pick, the bigger the bust

It's a good question. Here would by my parameters:

1. Minimum of three years in league
2. Starter, Reserve, Injury
3. Position Played
4. How high the pick was, i.e top 5, bottom 10
5. Whether player is still with team that originally drafted player

That's what I would start with

Thank you Scott, this is the style of answer I was looking for.

I was just messing around. I'm sure Meachem will play eventually and hopefully will not become a bust.

I just want to see that dude take the field.

I don't care about that -- all I know is that the more I can get you to post the more I get to see your avatar.

Top 12 pick that doesn't start for your team for the length of his contract with the exception being a QB who sits a year. 13-25 pick that doesn't earn a starting role and contribute by year two if not a QB. 26-32 pick that never earns a starting role or contributes.

This is also very well done. I personally think the 1st round is for drafting an instant starter on your team. The higher the draft pick, the worse the team, the more holes to fill, and the better players to pick, i.e. the better chance to be an starter from day one. I know, that one's kinda a run-on. How about a tweak here. Top 15 pick that doesn't start for your team for the length of his contract with the exception being a QB who sits a year or a RB/WR who splits time. 16-32 pick that doesn't earn a starting role and contribute by year two if not a QB who sits a year or a RB/WR who splits time. Or any pick without a starting job (injury notwithstanding) to begin his 5th year in the league. This kinda helps with trades and FA, and such. Would these be good parameters?

Bust=Player who isn't good. It's really that simple.

Jonathan Sullivan is a bust, because he was a high draft pick, was unproductive and was let go. Now nobody wants to even give him a look. Someone can be a bust for several reasons and it pretty much all traces back to poor production. If someone has a bad work ethic (Sullivan) and terrible character concerns (Leaf). Sometimes a player can be a bust because of injury (Tim Couch, Ki-Jana Carter) and sometimes the poor guy, no matter how much he tried, just couldn't get it done on the field (Heath Shuler).

A disappointment, on the other hand, is someone who doesn't live up to expectations, but is still employable. Bryant Johnson, formerly of Arizona, was a 1st round pick, who was surpassed by their 2nd round pick that year, Anquan Boldin. He still went on to play for the team, put up some decent numbers, but was never more than a 3rd option when Boldin and Fitz were healthy. Other examples of this, but often misconstrued as "busts" are Herschel Walker and Ricky Williams.

Williams was a good football player, it's just that we gave up so much to get him. Keep in mind, we DID get 2 first round picks for him and he did have a couple of good seasons in Miami. However, because the organization so foolishly gave up everything to get him and he had no supporting cast and the surrounding drama etc., he's often labelled a "bust". But he did have 4 consecutive 1,000 yard seasons, led the league in rushing one year, averaged 4 YPC. Not too bad. He did have some injuries, played on some bad teams and is a total headcase, but he's not a bust.

Walker, too. In his 2.5 seasons with Minnesota, he averaged over 4 yards per carry and scored 25 TDs, while missing only one game. It's not his fault that the Vikings gave up everything to get him and gave him no supporting cast. Some people want to label him a "bust", but when you look at his career: 11 years, 13,000 total yards and 82 TDs, that's not a bad career. People just want to label him a "bust" for the trade. Maybe he didn't become the all-world player people were expecting him to be, coming out of Georgia and who dominated the USFL, but he wasn't bad.

Clearly the most obvious, the one you want to start with is J. Sullivan.

We moved up to 6 by giving up our 17 and 18 in the first round swap. He took the bonus money for the first 2 years, and by the third year everyone knew he had started his new career as a food eater, retired from football and rich.

He's top.

ddd

Hard to disagree with this post.....

I'd say its a first round pick....with at least 3-5 years of playing experience and produces absolutely nothing. (See David Carr, Heath Shuler) Or....for extreme cases.....see Ryan Leaf.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom