What constitutes a draft bust? (1 Viewer)

as I've mentioned in a prior post, in reference to meachem, he can't be declared a bust as of yet. Now, if he fails to make any significant contribution this year, those whispers may begin to surface. Specifically with regards to the wide receiver position, a majority don't really begin to produce until their 2nd or 3rd year, this is well known in fantasy football circles as drafting the 2nd/3rd year wr theory because their stats tend to really spike during this time frame. In reference to how the Saints have drafted over the past five or six years, I would include as busts chase lyman, cie grant, courtney watson, and antonio pittman (only because we wasted a fourth rounder only to cut him the same year).

as I've mentioned in a prior post, in reference to meachem, he can't be declared a bust as of yet. Now, if he fails to make any significant contribution this year, those whispers may begin to surface. Specifically with regards to the wide receiver position, a majority don't really begin to produce until their 2nd or 3rd year, this is well known in fantasy football circles as drafting the 2nd/3rd year wr theory because their stats tend to really spike during this time frame. In reference to how the Saints have drafted over the past five or six years, I would include as busts chase lyman, cie grant, courtney watson, and antonio pittman (only because we wasted a fourth rounder only to cut him the same year).

In fairness.. Chase Lyman was a risk/reward pick... not to be labled with this bunch.... the FO brass knew he was injured and figured a 4th round pick was about worth the risk to take if he could heal up.... he never really got physically well .. hard to call him a bust..

Guys, I know who is a bust, I want to know what defines a bust. Lack of impact, out of league in 2 years, etc. Please give me tangibles to work with. Trust me, I know Johnathan Sullivan and Ryan Leaf were busts.

Guys, I know who is a bust, I want to know what defines a bust. Lack of impact, out of league in 2 years, etc. Please give me tangibles to work with. Trust me, I know Johnathan Sullivan and Ryan Leaf were busts.

here ya go...

" a highly rated college player who becomes less than ordinary in the NFL"

If after 3-4 years said player is out of the league or a STer, then thats a bust.

A player like Stallworth is not a bust. He just didn't turn into an all pro. Not all 1st rounders become all pros. Some become average contributers.

A player like Meachem hasn't even had close to enough time in the league to be able to judge whether he is a bust or not.

I think it unfair to lump Carr in that mess.... he may have been over-rated... but he does not belong mixed in with those names.....

I disagree. A player can become a bust if a team takes them higher than they should through no fault of the player. Carr as a 3rd rounder is ok while Carr as the number one overall is a bust.

That said, I'm not in the group that labels a 1st rounder a bust if they don't produce in their rookie season. They're a disappointment, but not a bust...examples being Brees (who didn't really contribute at a high level for SD until his 3rd season) or Manning, Eli (who didn't justify his price until the last 6 games or so of last season).

To me, a player would have to exit a team without ever contributing to the level of their selection before labeling them a bust.

If after 3-4 years said player is out of the league or a STer, then thats a bust.

A player like Stallworth is not a bust. He just didn't turn into an all pro. Not all 1st rounders become all pros. Some become average contributers.

A player like Meachem hasn't even had close to enough time in the league to be able to judge whether he is a bust or not.

I agree about Stallworth. Definitely not a bust.
Excellent rookie year.
Contributed 2nd year Started some 3rd year
Started w/ almost 1000yds 4th year
Traded for a 2 year starting middle LB, who may still start this year.
We may not have gotten #14 value, but he was definitely not a 'bust'.

Mikeeee

I'll give it a shot...

You're a bust if by year 3 you aren't significantly contributing to whichever side of the ball you play.

Basically what happened with last years draft...we drafted Meachem...signed him...and sat him...your first round draft choice should be an instant starter [except QB's]...although QB's are an exception to the rule...they better be ready real soon or I would consider them a bust also...if Meachem does nothing this year...perfect example of a 1st round draft bust...period!

NO NO NO NO NO:rant: ! Meachem was not a draft bust, and will not be a draft bust. Two injuries set him back early in Training Camp last year, and thus he was delayed in his development. By week 1 Meachem will be the obvious choice to be our #2 WR and will compliment Colston beautifully.

Colston = size and hands

Meachem = size,speed and hands (hes fast like devery, but is big and can catch)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom