What constitutes a draft bust? (1 Viewer)

duckjr78

Look out, its FrankenBaby
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I want to do some research and I need to know what you guys think defines a draft day bust. I'm focusing on 1st rounders. Please be realistic because I will be using the most common and logical answers to define the paramaters for my data. Thank you.

Clearly the most obvious, the one you want to start with is J. Sullivan.

We moved up to 6 by giving up our 17 and 18 in the first round swap. He took the bonus money for the first 2 years, and by the third year everyone knew he had started his new career as a food eater, retired from football and rich.

He's top.

ddd

Basically what happened with last years draft...we drafted Meachem...signed him...and sat him...your first round draft choice should be an instant starter [except QB's]...although QB's are an exception to the rule...they better be ready real soon or I would consider them a bust also...if Meachem does nothing this year...perfect example of a 1st round draft bust...period!

Basically what happened with last years draft...we drafted Meachem...signed him...and sat him...your first round draft choice should be an instant starter [except QB's]...although QB's are an exception to the rule...they better be ready real soon or I would consider them a bust also...if Meachem does nothing this year...perfect example of a 1st round draft bust...period!

Hmmmm, don't quite agree, but the fact that he did not play is reason for concern obviously.

The guy is doing research on first round busts, your message is a bash on Meachem, not an example of a bust.

Not all first round picks start as rookies. He's no bust. Not yet. Lets wait and see.

ddd

It's a good question. Here would by my parameters:

1. Minimum of three years in league
2. Starter, Reserve, Injury
3. Position Played
4. How high the pick was, i.e top 5, bottom 10
5. Whether player is still with team that originally drafted player

That's what I would start with

Everyone has a different opinion, but for me a 1st round bust is:

1. A player that doesn't make significant contributions to the team by the 3rd year.
2. A player that doesn't crack the starting lineup within 2 years.
3. A player that is injuried waaaaaaaaay too often.

Note: Exceptions of course can be made for unusual circumstances. For instance, I would not classify Aaron Rodgers as a bust yet.

In my book, an oft-injured player is not automatically considered a bust.

I'm much more concerned with players who just didn't have it mentally or were just ridiculously overrated and never contributed.

Think more Ryan Leaf, less Ki-jana Carter.

I think a bust is any player drafted that is not starting by year 4.

if not starting, they should be putting in significant playing time by year 4.

Do you look at it from the perspective of the player having failed or the FO? There certainly can be a difference especially if you are inclined to label someone like Meach a bust. (which I am certainly not at this point).

I believe in the dictionary it has a photo of Ryan Leaf

Top 12 pick that doesn't start for your team for the length of his contract with the exception being a QB who sits a year. 13-25 pick that doesn't earn a starting role and contribute by year two if not a QB. 26-32 pick that never earns a starting role or contributes.

Unless qb a first round player should provide a significant contribution in the first year.
2nd year he should start and stand out
If this does not occur the pick is not a bust, however, if he does not contribute significantly by his second year the team did not get the value they should have from their first round choice.
A bust does not contribute in two years. Even if he plays but does not make an impact, I would consider it a bust.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom