What Dez would bring to the Saints offense... (1 Viewer)

nolastyle

The Future Has Arrived
Reaction score
After hearing Dez Bryant and the Saints were in negotiations on a contract, I have to admit I was uncomfortable with interrupting the precision and timing that Brees and the offense have been playing with so far this season. I'm sure most of us have read the same things about Dez in regards to his attitude, drops, disappearing in games, not a great route runner, etc., so I looked up a few things in regards to his 2017 season. From what I can find, a lot of the problems he was having in Dallas were a direct result of shoddy QB play, something he definitely won't have to deal with here. Bits and pieces from different places, but here are a few observations:

Through Week 11 of 2017, Dez Bryant had 102 targets, but only 60 of those were considered "catchable" according to PFF. That's only 58.8%, and contributes greatly to having such a low catch rate and dismal yards per route metric in 2017. Of those 60 "catchable" targets, Dez was able to put up 53 rec., 578 yds, 4 TDs. His best routes seem to be slant routes and back shoulder throws (a Brees favorite :sneaky:).

Well, maybe Dez had lost a step and wasn't getting separation on any of his routes? Except that according to NFL next gen stats, the problem wasn't that Dez couldn't get open, it was that Dak wasn't accurate enough on his throws:

Avg yards of separation/target in 2017:
- Dez Bryant 2.4
- AJ Green 2.4
- Julio Jones 2.4
- Mike Evans 2.1
- DeAndre Hopkins 2.1

And lastly, Dez would bring another physical, run after the catch receiver that could really push this offense to an even higher level. Again according to PFF:

Screenshot-4948-copy-1024x576.jpg

Let's make it happen, Loomis!
(Mods, I thought this was different enough from the news and twitter speculation threads to stand alone, but feel free to merge if you feel otherwise...)

Personally I think it would take years for Dez to learn Sean Payton's playbook. His only value is as a post-up red-zone target.

SR modborg says: Your thread will be assimilated, your distinctive features will be added to the mega-merge.

SR modborg says: Your thread will be assimilated, your distinctive features will be added to the mega-merge.

UK, I'm with nolastyle on this one. This one shouldn't be merged.

Nolastyle, I like these #s you found on Dez. I reached out to some friends that really know their cowboys, and they are absolutely positive that Dez would be a huge addition for us. AND they want this for him as well. With their season already a wash st the halfway point, ussigning Dez would give them something to watch and root for the rest of the season.

Was it Dez or was it Dak? has been a huge debate for Dallas fans for years. If he signs with us, one way or another, that argument finally gets settled.

UK, I'm with nolastyle on this one. This one shouldn't be merged.

Nolastyle, I like these #s you found on Dez. I reached out to some friends that really know their cowboys, and they are absolutely positive that Dez would be a huge addition for us. AND they want this for him as well. With their season already a wash st the halfway point, ussigning Dez would give them something to watch and root for the rest of the season.

Was it Dez or was it Dak? has been a huge debate for Dallas fans for years. If he signs with us, one way or another, that argument finally gets settled.

Honestly I was blown away at how many Cowboys fans say that they'll be cheering for the Saints if Dez signs here. Most feel that he was made a scapegoat for Dak's regression after his rookie season.

If you'd like to read for yourselves,

https://cowboyszone.com/threads/dez-to-workout-with-the-saints.419390/

Just when defenses were going to resolve to almost triple team the Michael the Unguardable One, you add someone who could have it in the tank? Ho-ho-ho boy.

Except I don’t know which player like that I’m talking about. What? Who said anything? Not me!

Personally I think it would take years for Dez to learn Sean Payton's playbook. His only value is as a post-up red-zone target.

Dez is a pro he can learn the playbook like any other offensive player does. Didn’t take Kamara or mike Thomas years to learn it. Many plays are the plays others run but with different terminology. Payton talent lies in the ability to call the right plays at the right times.

I think that he is an exceptional blocker. He will also create an added match up issue for opponents and stretch their safeties and LB's. In addition, he will now become a #2 receiver, which will change things from how he was defended in Dallas. This will be interesting. All good stuff.

Now the potential negative. I think that even if he doesn't get vocal, on the field, about getting the ball, I can't help but worry about how it changes Drew's natural progressions and focus. I think that Drew is his own man, but I wonder if it will be in the back of his mind.

Now the potential negative. I think that even if he doesn't get vocal, on the field, about getting the ball, I can't help but worry about how it changes Drew's natural progressions and focus. I think that Drew is his own man, but I wonder if it will be in the back of his mind.
There's definitely a chance of this, but SP is pretty good at letting guys know what their role will be, and where the boundaries are. If Dez starts with his stuff, there will be consequences.

Dez in New Orleans.
7 regular season games, +/- 40 catches for 500 yards and 5 TDs

And Michael Thomas still ends up with 140 catches for 1700 yards and 10 TDs

Meanwhile Saints become the first team in history to average 40 minutes per game in time of possession.

Dez has definitely come across as a prima donna in the past. If 9 games on the couch with few teams showing him any real interest doesn't humble you, nothing will. No matter how confident he is in himself, there's absolutely no way he could enter a relationship with the Saints believing that would fly here. He has to know that at most, he'll be the #3 receiving option behind MT and Kamara.

And at the same time, if he's not getting used like he thinks he should be used, he would have to know how ridiculous it would sound if he spouted off about it. Throwing shade and pointing fingers at Jason Garret's playcalling and Dak Prescott's ability is at least debatable and believable. Saying anything like that about Sean Payton, Pete Carmichael, and Drew Brees? He'd get laughed out of the state. And like I said in an earlier post. The Saints locker room is in harmony... a nice quiet drama-free zone. Any outburst, antics, or attitude would stick out for the world to see. That's the last thing his career needs.

Dude is nothing but trouble and drama.... Locker room distraction and media pimp.... I hope we don't sign him...

Original post was great. Well thought out and researched. I was on the fence with Dez. Is he really worth the headache , but your post and researched put me on board if he signs. Thanks for your work putting this together. Now I understand why Sean is interested in bringing him in.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom