What did the Bills do on Defense? (1 Viewer)

blackadder

...from a chicken, bugwit
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Any of you guys with a Tivo and film dissecting experience have any input?

Could see they had good rush and disrupted Drew's footwork. But anything else special?

Was Drew just off after getting hit a couple times, maybe hurting from the sore shoulder?

Or were they jamming receivers also and disrupting the timing?

Just wondering how easily the Jets or anyone else can duplicate the effort.

They dropped 7 in coverage just about every play and got some pressure up the middle when they did blitz.

They didn't do anything new, it is the way to slow Brees down but it only works when Brees is having a bad day. In the past this is when we lost ugly games. The problem when you only blitz 4 every play and the LBs first steps are backwards is it is easy to run against.

Drew had an off day, hope that shoulder isn't bothering him. He'll get over it and light up the Jets in the Dome!!!

Well...from what I saw, lots of pressure and tight coverage. But I think the wind had a little to do with it as well. I think Drew was cautios to attempt to thread the needle, fearing an arrant throw due to the wind. But that us just speculation.

the bills DTs were getting good pressure, combined with drew having a off day.

Played in a windy stadium. And I guess actually getting a good pass rush helped a little.

I think they have a good secondary too, they let Greer go?

It can be pretty much summed up in two words.

Left Tackle.

We had to give extra help to the left side, help Stinchomb is used too (so he got exploited). Then we had to bring in extra blockers, and not run the normal 4 or 5 route plays we normally do, which hindered Brees and made their coverage more effective.

So we gave up and started running downhill. We'll have to be better to beat the Jets, Jets have a much better defense then the Bills, but I think we will. I put Brees' production squarely on the shoulders of Strief/Bushrod though. Schoebel ate their lunches

i felt that the saints adjusted their offense to compensate for wind as well. Didn't realize how windy it was on the field until both teams needed someone to hold the ball up on kickoffs. so i knew it would be more of a running game philosophy.

It was windy, the field was still wet, offensive line was sloppy with drive killing penalties... shockey's tripping penalty was another drive killer. It was mostly penalties putting us in 1st and 20s and 3rd and 10+.

When they blitzed...they did it in the middle....Brees is not that comfortable when he sees LBs coming up in his face.....we talked about it that Achilles heel in Brees passing is pressure in the middle.....its hard for him to see what's behind the blitzing players, and that affects his game......

Strief held his own, Brees was sacked earlier in the game, but I think the pressure came from the middle, but Bushrod was usually given more help when he was in, when Strief was in he was by himself alot, which makes sense because when Bushrod was in, Strief was the guy that came in to help several times.

They were pressuring the middle, which should technically leave your tackles with no help against the defensive ends. I think Strief did a good job, espescially against a pro bowler in Aaron Schobel.

The field seemed to be slippery which messed up a few things with the receivers, Brees had some nice throws. Receivers weren't getting open several times as Brees went through all of his reads and nothing was there.

We had a few bad calls against us but that is expected in any game so can't blame that.

It can be pretty much summed up in two words.

Left Tackle.

We had to give extra help to the left side, help Stinchomb is used too (so he got exploited). Then we had to bring in extra blockers, and not run the normal 4 or 5 plays we normally do, which hindered Brees and made their coverage more effective.

So we gave up and started running downhill. We'll have to be better to beat the Jets, Jets have a much better defense then the Bills, but I think we will. I put Brees' production squarely on the shoulders of Strief/Bushrod though. Schoebel ate their lunches
That statement is unfair. Brees had time on multiple plays but the coverage was good, leading to a sack or throw away. Give the Bills coverage some credit. Unfortunately for them, it left them a little more vulnerable against the run and we took advantage of it.

if you look at the bills loss to new england, they had lost 2 key starters on defense in the 1st half of the game kelsay and the middle linebacker ?, in the 2nd half of that game they were unable to get hits on brady and he had more time to move the ball plus the fumble ruined their chances in that game. the bills should have beaten the pats, they are a pretty good defensive team. which brings me to the fact that we have beat 2 pretty good defensive teams on the road. this is very exciting.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom