what did the superbowl show you, in regards to the saints (1 Viewer)

What it showed me was what I have always known and preached. IT All Begins And Ends Upfront. Offensive and Defensive lines are the most important elements of your team once you acquire a franchise quarterback.

That defense was much more then its DLineman (who were very good).

Antonio Pierce was really good and prevented the screen from developing into an option to stop the pressure.

Also the corners were phenomenal in run support. Watch the game again and see how they move off the blocks and make plays.

The key to beating the Patriots is much more then the obvious put pressure on Brady.

You have to be able to shutdown the 5 yard 1st down plays. Doing that first gives you the opportunity to put pressure on Brady. Shuting down the first down plays was a collaborative effort with every player stepping up and making tackles.

There were 4 or 5 sacks in the game so it could not have simply been just QB pressure it was about doing all the right things in between the big play sacks.

Defense wins championships.

Team chemistry matters...(subtact Tiki and Shockey)

It can be turned around in an instant...that team was nothing at 8-8 in 2006 and started out 0-2 in 2007.

Draft smart...2007 draft picks Aaron Ross, Steve Smith, Jay Alford, Zac DeOssie, Kevin Boss, Ahmad Bradshaw all contributed in the Super Bowl and all year. Every one of their 2007 draft picks made the team.
:plus-un2: ..........this game more than any other i have watched the past couple of years showed what football will always be about....beating the man in front of you.....attitude,the Giants we're not in awe of the patriots at anytime,unlike most of their opponents after the first 2 games....Offenses shine in the begining of the season and Defenses rule at the end...Solid drafts produce consistent winners.....JMHO....

That defense was much more then its DLineman (who were very good).

Antonio Pierce was really good and prevented the screen from developing into an option to stop the pressure.

Also the corners were phenomenal in run support. Watch the game again and see how they move off the blocks and make plays.

The key to beating the Patriots is much more then the obvious put pressure on Brady.

You have to be able to shutdown the 5 yard 1st down plays. Doing that first gives you the opportunity to put pressure on Brady. Shuting down the first down plays was a collaborative effort with every player stepping up and making tackles.

There were 4 or 5 sacks in the game so it could not have simply been just QB pressure it was about doing all the right things in between the big play sacks.
Yeah, everyone has to do their part on D.
That's a given.

But the most difficult part if we ever think of emulating what success the Giants had,
is that relentless pressure that front four put out there..

"It never really comes down to scheme," Spagnuolo said. "It always comes to players, and our guys were ready to play. They had tremendous confidence in what we were doing and believed in some way, they could somehow get to him. And they did that. I have to give credit to our four guys up front. We hung our hat on those guys all year long and we did it again."

nothing as the saints were not in the super bowl.

These are two essentially different teams. The Saints' offense is much better than the GIants' offense. The Saints' defense is much worse than the Giants' defense. In fact, it's so much worse that I started laughing as I typed the last sentence.

There are a lot of good thoughts on this thread, but the one thing that stood out to me was the pass rush on Brady. Also, New England's running game was kaput, shut down, virtually nonexistent. The Saints' defense is light years away from that level, but their offense can compensate to a certain extent. The defense just needs to improve considerably, and it starts up front.

It showed me that to win, you must have good run defense, and a good pass rush.

On offense, you must have a run threat and you must have good 3rd down efficiency. It also helps to have receivers that can catch the ball.

One of the prevailing themes I'm hearing in NYC is that the fans and talking heads (including former Player [e.g. Tiki Barber]) don't know squat about the outcome of the season. Fans and Players wanted Coughlin OUT, OUT, OUT. Fans and media personalities maintained Eli would never live up to his 1st pick billing and the Giants draft picks that were traded were wasted and keep this Franchise mired in mediocrity for a long time (refrains of the Giants "mortgaged the future to get Eli" were common).

Bottom Line: stick with the team and once you're in the Playoffs anything can happen. The Giants have been in the Playoffs 3 years in a row with the 25th, 24th and this year the 7th ranked Defense. If you want to build a winning program Players (and Coaches) have to have some experience in the Playoffs.

The Saints defense from top to bottom is horrendous - coaching included. Our defensive line is not disruptive enough. We don't blitz or pressure the QB enough. Charles Grant is too fat to play defense end. Our linebackers and defensive backs outside of MM and Fujita wouldn't start on many teams in the NFL. Should I go on?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom