what did the superbowl show you, in regards to the saints (1 Viewer)

What with the Giants winning the superbowl?

What I learn is the Saints front seven is in serious need of an upgrade.
It shows how important a good front seven is for a defense.
All championship defense I know, their front seven are really good.

You know what a superstar secondary with a poor front seven does?
Ask the Denver Broncos.

good coverage can give the Line more time to get to the QB, we need alot of defensive players, they will have to come form free agency and the draft

That wasn't the Giants approach. They forced the issue not allowing plays to develop downfield. In other words they played "Kill the QB" football and it worked. And they did this primarity with pressure from the FRONT 4 with a timely safety blitz thrown in. We do NOT have the personel to even sniff the QB's jersey.

It's simple, we need someone on the line who can eat up blocks. We then get a LBer that can consistently make plays on or near the ball. Secondary, as bad as it looks, isn't our biggest need.

Believe it or not. Brandon Jacobs picked up alot of the blitzs by himself. Our running backs need to take note. I know Jacobs has o lineman size but it was very impressive and he is the unsung hero of that game.

when they were showing how many times the giants D got to brady last night, i looked at my brother and said "look at their D vs saints D, do you see what we're lacking?" then another friend of ours chimed in and said, "yea, defense." the whole entire room busted out laughing. i can't lie, so did i lol...

I read a quote that was attributed to Lombardi that stated "the closer one lines up to the ball, the more important they are" or something like that.

The key to the Giants win was their pass rush, not their coverage. Brady had to make some of his throws almost immediately. That was due to the pass rush. That's where the Saints need to begin to upgrade. Giants don't have any superstars in their secondary.

We need to give up Hollis Thomas... he is big and awfully slow.

I believe that we need a 1 new cornerback and 1 new saftey. If McKenzie is out with his injury next year, we won't have improvement over last year unless we pick up new BETTER players.

After watching that game I would definitely lean to the side that says Defensive Line is more important in stopping the passing game. I believe Brady never got on track because the DL was around him all night. Most of his completions were dump offs and swings, anything more than that and he was getting nipped by tuck, or pressured by Umenyora. Even when Brady had time last night he often missed passes, I believe because his bell was probably still ringing.

I believe the Giants DL has two strengths:

One: They have at least 2 playmakers in the starting rotation, Tuck, Umenyora. You could almost say 3 if you count Strahan.

Two: They have quality depth. I can't remember his name but the big boy that sacked Brady right at the end of the game. That hoss pushed two lineman out of his way and came right up the gut.

It shows me that any decent team, that places with heart, always has a fighting chance of winning the SB.

EVERYONE discounted the Giants in the playoffs. Heck, when we were trying to make the playoffs and were looking at scenarios, i remember everyone talking about we needed the Giants to lose 2 games straight or the Vikes to lose one game. Almost everyone felt we had a good chance with the Giants losing two straight. But then, all of a sudden, they got their butts in gear. They played a heck of a game against the Pats on for the last of the season, essentially energizing their playoff run...because they felt they could hang.

How much better, as an entire team, are the Giants over the Saints? Not much at all IMO. Our offense is better. We simply have bad playcalling (PAYTON :rant: ). Their D is better, with the obvious LB situation we have.

So what does the SB tell me. We need LBs. Ideally one CB. Better playcalling. And lastly, but not least, we need some freakin heart and hunger on this team. They need to get hungry and want it. And i'm not talking about Grant type hungry and gaining 40 lbs. I'm talking win hunger and the desire to be the best.

Bottom line, in order to be a contender, there's not a lot we need to fix...again, based on the Giants coming from nowhere and winning. We just need LBs, better playcalling, and some heart and hunger to win.

Amazing how the Giants went from the team we thought we had the best chance of taking their playoff spot with three weeks left in the the season to the team that we want to pattern ourselves after. I'm not knocking the Giants, that was very impressive. But every season there is the scheme du jour. We have big holes to fill and there are some key positions to upgrade. We watched Haz try to copy the success of the Bears wideload interior and that didn't turn out too well. We are going to have to plug some key holes and get some of the players that we currently down on to play more at a level they did in '06.

We are a minimum of two years away from a serious Super Bowl run.

I would tend to agree with you, but wouldnt the same have been said about the Giants last preseason? It can be done but the Saints organization has to get the job done this offseason. We were in the CG already, so why should it take 2 more years? The CG appearance should mean we are only a few players away and its up to Payton and Loomis to get the right ones? I have to say however that with the way this offseason is already beginning, Deuce's uncertaintly with the team, Grant's mishap and Reggie's lovesickness doesnt hold well so far:covri:

After watching that game I would definitely lean to the side that says Defensive Line is more important in stopping the passing game. I believe Brady never got on track because the DL was around him all night. Most of his completions were dump offs and swings, anything more than that and he was getting nipped by tuck, or pressured by Umenyora. Even when Brady had time last night he often missed passes, I believe because his bell was probably still ringing.

I believe the Giants DL has two strengths:

One: They have at least 2 playmakers in the starting rotation, Tuck, Umenyora. You could almost say 3 if you count Strahan.

Two: They have quality depth. I can't remember his name but the big boy that sacked Brady right at the end of the game. That hoss pushed two lineman out of his way and came right up the gut.

It may be safe to say Strahan is a playmaker.

It showed me that posters who suggested we drop our last few games for a better draft slot on the pretense that would couldnt beat the Patriots anyway were dead on WRONG!

You get in and the season begins again. We need to win our division in 2008!!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom