What do we do now that Quinn is off the market (3 Viewers)

A TE at the end of last season would have made the Saints unstoppable. I know how the board feels about Graham, but if he were here last year, I think it makes the difference and we came up a couple million short and having that happen. Now here we are in an identical position with DE with Okafor gone. I hope, PRAY, we didn't sacrifice the chance to have the pass rusher we needed over $1 or 2 million because the compensation was obviously within reach. I hope the Saints dont squabble over a couple million for Ansah either. The Saints KNOW what we need but get very myopic when it comes to the little acquisition details later on. Then we're sitting there going, "man a TE target would really help this team right now. D'oh!" This year, dont let that be DE.

They do KNOW what the teams needs. With The hole created with Okafor leaving, they have the chance to go and get it just what the team needs. Let's hope they follow through. Nothing worst than watching the team pursue the exact remedy to the problem at hand then back out over a negligible cost.
You can think that all you want, but the Saints don't get the benefit of operating with 20/20 hindsight. Moves have to be made with both present and future years in mind. Myopic is the very definition of the team building strategy you are proposing in this, in that it is a very near-sighted approach that doesn't account for long term strategies and trivializes the very real difficulties of balancing contract negotiation tactics with time constraints, an ever shrinking pool of players, and 31 other teams.

The Saints didn't sign Graham because in order to compete for a championship in this league, every move made needs to be done with the goal of maximizing value. Graham's contract and stats last year were in no way indicative of maximized value. He was given a back loaded deal amounting to 3 years, 30 mil. Even without accounting for the future detriments that back loaded contract presents, had the Saints matched that exact contract, Graham's contract would have accounted for a cap hit of $4 mil more than Watson last season. Now, you may think that is fair, but the irony here is that very same $4 mil you'd have happily paid last season to "upgrade" Watson's spot also happens to be the difference between guys like Okafor or Demario Davis being on that 2018 roster.

It was very unfortunate that an ill-timed appendix illness and concussion depleted the Saints TE unit before it got a real shot to show it's value in the playoffs, but that same misfortune is why winning teams must "squabble" over $1-2 mil with every contract. Unfortunate roster developments are only exacerbated further when your team didn't have the foresight to value roster depth or the opportunities awaiting next season.

Adding another option would be gravy but I don't think we need to. Edward seems to be someone who can at least cover running downs at DE. I'd like to see if Hendrickson progressed also. I don't think his rookie year was bad and I wouldn't expect him to play ahead of the three we had last year. It would be nice if he could develop into a solid rotational guy and backup. He needs playing time to do that.

The main production should be there with the usual play by Jordan and Davenport getting more playing time. Davenport did well last year. He should be ready. I think Okafor walking signaled that also.

It would be nice to get a sure thing over Hendrickson for a rotation, but I don't mind seeing what he's got in a limited role.

Draft isn't the answer to our pass rush need this year. The chances of landing a DE who will have an impact this year is minimal to none. Trade of free agency.
You likely haven't even seen any of them to inspire such a tepid remark so why even respond?

We have no other players besides Jordan on the roster than can offer the skillset these guys bring.

Jaylon Furguson and Nate Harvey are also premiere pass rushers that should be available in RD 2.

Khalen Saunders is also a disruptive DT that will be available.

Last edited:
The absolute best thing that can happen here is for Ziggy's shoulder to get the green light from doctors, and for us to be the team that grabs him. However, I've got the feeling that is a long shot. We might have to take one of those bargain guys like Ealy, Clayborn, or Perry. Which is fine as well. The main thing we have to do is replace Okafor's production. THAT shouldn't be too hard. Finding an upgrade for him would be a nice bonus. Ziggy is the only possible upgrade I see available.
Compare John Cominsky's Measurables Ziggy Ansah's and to Aaron Donald.

Cominsky is just as fast, has a better 3 cone, and is 14lbs heavier.

His numbers are nearly identical to Donald and he also has the speed and power to play on the edge like Justin Smith as a Power rusher unlike Davenport.

With John Cominsky we would be getting the same caliber athlete as both of those guys.

Compare John Cominsky's Measurables Ziggy Ansah's and to Aaron Donald.

Cominsky is just as fast, has a better 3 cone, and is 14lbs heavier.

His numbers are nearly identical to Donald and he also has the speed and power to play on the edge like Justin Smith as a Power rusher unlike Davenport.

With John Cominsky we would be getting the same caliber athlete as both of those guys.

Nice find. Yeah, we tend to like those small school guys so I guess this guy is probably on our radar. Just seen that Ziggy has 35-1/8" arms... Jeezus!!! He doesn't even have to get to the QB to get to the QB.

You likely haven't even seen any of them to inspire such a tepid remark so why even respond?

We have no other players besides Jordan on the roster than can offer the skillset these guys bring.

Jaylon Furguson and Nate Harvey are also premiere pass rushers that should be available in RD 2.

I know this year is loaded with DL. I think it's likely there will be a run on them in the first round as usual and most of the rest will get mopped up in the 2nd. With our pick coming at the end of the 2nd round, I find it hard to imagine us finding a pass rusher that could come in and be a big contributor as a rookie. I guess you never know, gems can be found in every round, but it is rare to find a startable edge rusher that late.

We would absolutely have to love one of the remaining guys to grab him with our #62 pick. We'd be getting something like the #15 DE where we could possibly get a top 3 TE, top 10 OT, top 10 WR, top 5 safety, or top 5 RB. I can't argue the point, because I don't know this draft class like I do most years, but my gut says we take BPA and at the end of the 2nd round, that won't be a DE.

I know this year is loaded with DL. I think it's likely there will be a run on them in the first round as usual and most of the rest will get mopped up in the 2nd. With our pick coming at the end of the 2nd round, I find it hard to imagine us finding a pass rusher that could come in and be a big contributor as a rookie. I guess you never know, gems can be found in every round, but it is rare to find a startable edge rusher that late.

We would absolutely have to love one of the remaining guys to grab him with our #62 pick. We'd be getting something like the #15 DE where we could possibly get a top 3 TE, top 10 OT, top 10 WR, top 5 safety, or top 5 RB. I can't argue the point, because I don't know this draft class like I do most years, but my gut says we take BPA and at the end of the 2nd round, that won't be a DE.
Im of the opinion that big guy pass rushers take less time to develop than pure speed or finesse guys.

Guys like JJ Watt or Carlos Dunlap can just power through to the majority of their sacks.

Looking back at Saints history it also holds true.

Darren Howard still holds the rookie sack record with 11 at 280lbs out of Kansas st.

Charles Grant and Will Smith both had 7 each as rookies too. Smith actually had 7.5.

Cominsky is even bigger and faster than Jordan was coming out and Jackson is very similar to an early Darren Howard at 275.

Wyatt Ray is also very agile at 280.

????
What are the odds any of them can come in and have at least 6 sacks next year? That's what the Saints are looking for right now. If a DE is BPA, they'll take him but needing to draft one to fill a hole you see as urgent now is not wise. And the Saints never do it. They go BPA, not we need a __.

????
What are the odds any of them can come in and have at least 6 sacks next year? That's what the Saints are looking for right now. If a DE is BPA, they'll take him but needing to draft one to fill a hole you see as urgent now is not wise. And the Saints never do it. They go BPA, not we need a __.
I'd say pretty high compared to a retread, run-down, C-list journeyman, that they could acquire at this point.

The pass rush talent this year is above average.

John Cominsky is 6'5 285lb and runs a 4.68.

The only other player in the league with those measurables is Aaron Donald.

Jeffrey Simmons is also a highly talented interior rusher that might even fall until late in the draft due to injury and an off-field assault case when he was a recruit.

He is another player like Saunders that really gets a push.

I'd say pretty high compared to a retread, run-down, C-list journeyman, that they could acquire at this point.

Jeffrey Simmons is also a highly talented interior rusher that might even fall until late in the draft due to injury and an off-field assault case when he was a recruit.

Hope and measurables, yeah okay. Donald is not the first person to have his measurables either. It takes more than that to make a player. History says you're desperately wrong.

Hope and measurables, yeah okay. Donald is not the first person to have his measurables either. It takes more than that to make a player. History says you're desperately wrong.
No.

History says that you know nothing about the draft and what measurables like that mean on the pro level.

Size, speed, and ability.

Bruce Smith, Warren Sapp, Aaron Donald and Reggie White all ran 4.6s

"When Smith came out of Virginia Tech, he carried 290 pounds on his 6-4 frame, and timed at 4.68 in the 40. With nearly 25 extra pounds, Smith's time was even more stunning than Clowney's mark"

You're putting a lot of faith in the Saints getting a guy YOU think is the next Aaron Donald in the late 2nd round of the draft and if we miss on him there's these 2 or 3 other guys that could be just as good???? Dude listen to yourself.

You're putting a lot of faith in the Saints getting a guy YOU think is the next Aaron Donald in the late 2nd round of the draft and if we miss on him there's these 2 or 3 other guys that could be just as good???? Dude listen to yourself.

Cominsky stacks up against any of these top guys athletically. Even Cam Jordan or Ansah who you are pining for.

Never said they were just as good as Cominsky.

They are talented and can do as well as a guy like Okafor though. At the very least they need to maintain what they lost.

All these measurables, 40 numbers and comparing them to the Donald's, Smith's and White's, doesn't mean a thing. Over the many years I've heard this, at least 90% come into the NFL and bomb. I would overpay a little for a proven vet that we know is proven any day. Ansah, Clayborn, Ealy or Perry would come in and outperform a rookie. The draft weather it be the 1st round or 7th round is a crap shoot.

All these measurables, 40 numbers and comparing them to the Donald's, Smith's and White's, doesn't mean a thing. Over the many years I've heard this, at least 90% come into the NFL and bomb. I would overpay a little for a proven vet that we know is proven any day. Ansah, Clayborn, Ealy or Perry would come in and outperform a rookie. The draft weather it be the 1st round or 7th round is a crap shoot.
A once proven vet that is damaged goods and an injury risk.

Odds are that younger, fresher legs with less wear on the tires will be a lot less risky.

And again.

You can't teach 6'5 285 and a 4.6 40. Especially in rd 2 or later and you won't find it in free agency.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom