What do we do with Sharper at the end of the year? (1 Viewer)

With Cowher, Gruden, and Shanahan on the market, I doubt GW gets any serious coaching offers. Most of the terrible teams are on first year coaches also, so the turnover won't be as great this year.

With Cowher, Gruden, and Shanahan on the market, I doubt GW gets any serious coaching offers. Most of the terrible teams are on first year coaches also, so the turnover won't be as great this year.

Jeff Fisher may also end up on the free market. From what I've heard, Jerry has a thing for Fisher as well.

If I were Mickey Loomis, I'd already be drawing up a 2-year extension for him.

There is only one option in his contract and it comes at mid-season I believe. It is a one year contract with a roster bonus stashed in the middle of it.

Like I said... at minimum. The impact he's made is impossible to ignore. No way they let this guy walk away.

Shhhh... Don't tell him I am doing this to his hyperbaric chamber...

Attachments

• han-solo-carbonite-desk.jpg
    han-solo-carbonite-desk.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 269
I don't know if he'll be franchised, but I would be surprised if he wasn't offered a nice contract. I kinda get the impression he likes it here, so moving on at the end of the year might not be that big of a concern.

agreed

he wont go anywhere

here he is a playmaker ... in MINN they didnt use him like we are using

here he is a ball hawk ... not a run stopper

If he plays well the rest of the year and stays healthy I would hope we would bring him back. Usama Young is probably his eventual replacement or maybe even Jenkins, but I don't think either of them would bring the consistency to that position next year that he could bring. A 2 year deal would make sense to me with him playing more on passing downs so he could hold up for us. Usama is a very physical tackler so he could handle running downs.

He's proven two things already: one, he's got a lot left in the tank and is playing like a man in his prime; and two, he (along with Vilma) is a strong leader and mentor. I read an article in the Times-Pic the other day about how he's organized a Friday film-viewing so he and the other guys can hunt for their opposition's small weaknesses and tendencies; someone who takes that kind of initiative is not someone the Saints will want to part with soon.

Plus he seems happy here. You can't discount that; a lot of guys will take a slightly less lucrative deal than they might get elsewhere if they're fulfilled in other ways. It's common sense--after all, would you rather be filthy rich but feeling constrained and controlled at your job, or merely dirty rich and having a lot of autonomy and respect?

I hope he gets a nice fat two-year contract after this season and winds up in a coaching capacity with us once he's ready to step off the field (which doesn't look like it's happening anytime soon, the guy's in phenomenal shape).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom