What do we do with Trequan Smith? (1 Viewer)

What do we do with him? Sheesh.

Some of y'all forgot about the injuries we faced last year. You keep him because he's capable when healthy. He does quite a few things well, knows our system and our locker room. If he's at the bottom of our depth chart, so be it.
This x 1000.

It's still May. Camp is still two months away. We should want the Saints' position groups in May to look loaded, even overloaded. Should the Saints lose one of those six from kennydfresh's list above, the team is still in good shape. Even losing two ... the team would still have four contributors.

Simiarly ... should Olave (and Shaheed) have growing pains or need extra time to incorporate the playbook or anything like that, the Saints' receiver room as constituted can absorb it.

There is no way, zero way Calloway doesn't make the team, he will thrive in a lesser role....I feel about 60-40 that TQS makes the team and we keep 6 WR's but if one of the younger WR's (UDFA's and Baker) show out in TC then TQS could be the odd man out....not likely but possible....

It's always fun to leave out facts to advance a narrative.

Read any non-Saints based article about Tre'Quan visiting the Falcons and they highlighted his blocking among other things. The spin wasn't as negative as say a "Saints Wire" article which trashed TQS like many posters on here. The post visit articles or articles about him resigning with the Saints all say the same thing, that they failed to come to terms. It does not say the Falcons passed, the narrative you are pushing.

Also, Jarvis Landry visited the same day or a day after and they also failed to come to terms. I don't see any posts about the Falcons passing on Landry, instead there are multiple threads celebrating the Landry signing here. To stay consistent with your posts the Falcons passed on Landry as well, but that doesn't fit the narrative.

With this mindset the Saints are picking up the scraps the Falcons didn't want in TQS and Landry.

Or both TQS and Landry saw first hand how the Falcons organization is run and decided to sign with the Saints instead with TQS signing first and Landry waiting until after the draft.
Look dude… watch Saints games…

…if you have been doing so… is TQS a key piece? …in any way? He’s hurt or ineffective the vast majority of the time!

When he is healthy, he’s either invisible or he flashes for 1-2 plays and then gets banged up… or (very rarely so far) he has the few big games in his career.

Tell me, honestly, that the Falcons didn’t sign him because they think/know that Olamide Zaccheaus is better than TQS!

Now tell me if you’d rather have Zaccheus than TQS… if your answer is “no”, then you know more than Fontenot..
…you, a common (uninformed) fan, like me.

Let him compete. But when a receiver's best attribute is his blocking, time to move on. He has not lived up to expectations. My guess is that he will not make the final cut.

Look dude… watch Saints games…

…if you have been doing so… is TQS a key piece? …in any way? He’s hurt or ineffective the vast majority of the time!

When he is healthy, he’s either invisible or he flashes for 1-2 plays and then gets banged up… or (very rarely so far) he has the few big games in his career.

Tell me, honestly, that the Falcons didn’t sign him because they think/know that Olamide Zaccheaus is better than TQS!

Now tell me if you’d rather have Zaccheus than TQS… if your answer is “no”, then you know more than Fontenot..
…you, a common (uninformed) fan, like me.

Luke dude, I watch Saints games. You are so set on hating the guy that you are blind to when he makes plays.

I never said he was perfect, but there are a few like you on here that sell him way short.

I think you can't comprehend that maybe he wanted to come back and the organization welcomed him back with open arms. You hate that, good for you.

We’re probably gonna carry 6 WRs this year: MT13, CO12, Landry, Harty, Calloway, TQS. If it’s only 5 then the best 2 (i.e. the 3 that can do the most: catch, block, special teams) between Calloway, TQS, and the rookies will make it. I don’t see Calloway being more or less safer than Smith.

Luke dude, I watch Saints games. You are so set on hating the guy that you are blind to when he makes plays.

I never said he was perfect, but there are a few like you on here that sell him way short.

I think you can't comprehend that maybe he wanted to come back and the organization welcomed him back with open arms. You hate that, good for you.
TQS has had more chances than any WR I can remember, and he hasn't flashed ever. He hasn't produced more than 400 and some change yds and tapped out a 5 TDs............................with Drew throwing the ball to him. In my eyes he is a bust, despite being a good blocker. Sean is gone and so will all his favorites if they don't produce. TQS will not be kept for his blocking. This is just silly talk.

A good way to look at this is to slot the guys by their role.

Thomas can play Slot/Z/and X (focuses mostly on slot and X though)
Trequan (his sticking point w/ the coaches is he understands what to do) plays X/Slot but never found a role at Z
Olave is strictly a Z
Calloway focused mostly on Z last year
Hardy focused mostly on Z but took some slot snaps as well.
Juice can play X/Slot he doesn't have the top end speed to play the Z.

It makes sense to keep all 6 WR's for maximum redundancy. There's no need to cut anyone after making it a strength, and losing one player at any point in the season won't cripple them because of the mixture of depth and talent that they have.

If he makes the roster, he makes the roster. IF not, he's cut by the end of preseason. They won't cut him before because people who know the playbook are invaluable.
This. If he makes the team then great. I'm sure we could do worse for our 5th or 6th WR. The guy has been starting games for the past four years so if we can have an experienced vet at the bottom of the depth chart that's fine by me. If there's no room for him on the roster and he's cut then okay, fine. That means our WR unit has become so strong that last season's #2 WR couldn't even make the roster.

I just can't get bent out of shape about it one way or the other. I wish he was a consistent, awesome WR but that just isn't the case. He's a role player. Some people just refuse to accept that considering he was drafted in the 3rd round. Smith hasn't lived up to their expectations so he has to go.

I can understand feeling some kind of way while watching Andrus Peat flail about on the ground but Peat was a first round pick. TQS was a third round pick. It's not like the Saints drafted him 13th overall passing up way better players.

Thomas can play Slot/Z/and X (focuses mostly on slot and X though)
CGM, Can't play the Z! He is slow, really slow. He ran almost a 4.6 at his pro day...............before he broke his ankle.

Andrus Peat
Yea, but Peat went to few pro bowls as a G. TQS hasn't even flashed a good season yet. I'm with you on the collective yawwwnnn on the subject.

When he is healthy he is serviceable. I don't under estimate him making the team . But it will be harder this time
Let him compete and may the best most productive player win....the other....SEE YA!

CGM, Can't play the Z! He is slow, really slow. He ran almost a 4.6 at his pro day...............before he broke his ankle.

Yea, but Peat went to few pro bowls as a G. TQS hasn't even flashed a good season yet. I'm with you on the collective yawwwnnn on the subject.

Again with the no pads 40 time being the end all be all.....it's not....CGM's skillset has no limitations....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom