What do you collect? (1 Viewer)

porculator

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sticky Post
Anyone else collect a lot of crap?
I've got a bunch - Lots of Saints/sports memorabilia, stamps/coins, bobbleheads, ticket stubs, you name it.

Lately I've been collecting growlers from different breweries. (Started as more of a drinking habit but then they start piling up)

Also shown, very small part of the sports memorabilia collection. (next post)

Joe OKC

"Better Days"
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I have posted one of these before... ANd I posted about the USS Oklahoma... But... Song an Service Book for Ship and Field... BUt I picked this one up and it's different from the other... Due to the Fact it is labeled to the Ship it was on... and In this Case.

WWII Item of the Week... This is a Church Service book for Sailors and Troops in the Service in WWII... There are many of these. But what makes this on special is that if is Stamped. USS Oklahoma.. Printed 1941. And if you know your history the USS Oklahoma was partially capsized after 4 torpedoes at Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941.
The Book is divided into three separate categories, Protasant, Catholic and Jewish.
Only one of three things could have happened.
1. The book was printed and it never made it to the ship.
2. It was delivered to the ship and taken from a sailor as he left the ship.
3. It was in the ship, and as it was salvaged after the pearl harbor attack.
Unfortunately the truth will never be known... For me.. It was on the ship on Dec 7 and salvaged.
We will never truely know...

20191110_142408.jpg

20191110_132845.jpg
20191110_132857 a.jpg
20191110_132857.jpg
20191110_142043.jpg

Attachments

LA_Steve

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Cool piece. Any explanation as to the little red #'s under the larger #'s? Is it just a count of the days of the year? For example, does Feb 1st have a "32" under it?

And, finally, what # does 3-28 have under it? I don't feel up to doing the math...
It's the Julian calendar date, as mentioned its the number of the days in order. Jan 1st is 1 etc.

Joe OKC

"Better Days"
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Make sure that you click on the sound at the lower right hand bottom of the video screen.

Last edited:

Paul

Professional
Reaction score
I only collect the broken bones and crushed dreams of my enemies. :mad:

I’m a “take arse and kick names” (tm Infinity War) type of guy. :hihi:

DomePatrol5657

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Used to collect comic books. then Katrina came and I lost them all. Had some good ones....X-men, Spider-Man(1st Hobgoblin, 1st Venom, 1st Carnage), original Marvel Star Wars. Loved collecting them. After Katrina, I tried to get back into it but it wasn't the same. They had gotten so expensive($3.99/$4.99 a pop) and the stories just didn't excite me. I still try to pick up a few issues here and there thru Comixology and read them. It's just different now.

I have started collecting sports(mainly Saints) memorabilia. My home office is full of Saints memorabilia. That's my new thing now.

Eeyore

Flucifer
Reaction score
This thread made me consider finishing my collection of Captain America comics from when I was a kid.
For some reason, Volume 1 of the Marvel books are numbered 100-454. I have all of them except for #117. That's the origin of Falcon and it's insanely priced.

I don't remember how I got them but I have a bunch of the other volumes as well. It's a bit surprising to me that a bunch of the issues just aren't out there for casual purchase. I guess that this is going to be one of those things where I have to walk into brick and mortar stores and search through endless, white, boxes full of comics that aren't categorized or alphabetized in order to get what I'm looking for.

There's a store here called "2nd and Charles" that sells old books, movies, albums, and collectibles. They have thousands of comics that are placed in no particular order but their prices are worth the effort of searching through the boxes.

dtc

VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Having moved a few months back, I now realize I've been collecting things I never knew I collected.

For instance, I have an exceptional collection of tiny women's shoes. Apparently some of them cost like a mortgage payment and while I have no idea if they have any resale value I am comfortable knowing that if I ever lose 140 pounds and chop off half of my feet both length and width-wise, I'll be the best dressed man in town.

On a serious note, I do also have more than 100 billfishing lures going back to wooden Black Barts made by the old man himself, back in Hawaii. Some of them are quite artful and I guess I've been gathering them for more than 30 years now. Wish I had time to be using them more.

saints4eva

We are the Who Dat Nation-we will always persevere
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Thread needs new title: Joe OKC's collection... and what do you collect?
Just kidding. Pretty cool stuff Joe 👍

I just collect Social Security and a modest pension

Joe OKC

"Better Days"
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Thread needs new title: Joe OKC's collection... and what do you collect?
Just kidding. Pretty cool stuff Joe 👍

I just collect Social Security and a modest pension
Thank You very much. I was beginning to wonder if the effort is worth it.. got way way more to go...

OP
OP
porculator

porculator

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Not a collection really since its always been in my family, but Joe's posts inspired me. My Grandpa was really good about keeping everything from his service in pristine shape. We lent his summer flying gear to the Naval War College. I have the winter jacket (the classic "bomber" style) tucked away somewhere.
1581478836166.png

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom