What do you collect? (3 Viewers)

Anyone else collect a lot of crap?
I've got a bunch - Lots of Saints/sports memorabilia, stamps/coins, bobbleheads, ticket stubs, you name it.

Lately I've been collecting growlers from different breweries. (Started as more of a drinking habit but then they start piling up)

Also shown, very small part of the sports memorabilia collection. (next post)

Apparently Bills!!!!!

I have one unopened can of 1992 Chocolate yoo-hoo drink.

I've read that because it's pasteurize in the can , if left unopened it's good for ever.

I keep saying I'll crack it open some day but I never do.:unsure:

WWII Item... Christmas Edition.

edit- I am having trouble importing a video from FB... There is no sound with it and there should be.

Last edited:
WWII Item - Christmas Edition...

Make sure the sound is on.... Once you hit play, Hover over the video at the bottom right, the speaker may be muted... and it has to be turned on...

WWII US Field Record Player/Gramophone
The record is a 1943 release...

Last edited:
Round noisemakers (pic is horrible; office is too cluttered to get a decent angle)

IMG-0163.png

and empty beer bottles. I don't actually try to collect the bottles, but they just seem to keep showing up no matter how many attempts I make to thin the herd.

WWII Item of the week and my latest pickup.

WWII Italian officers mess kit. Aka. Italian field kitchen. This thing is a freaking kitchen on wheels.. complete with table, oven, boiler, Fryer, pan, roaster, strainer, coffee maker,cheese grater with olive oil and vinegar... You can't fight a World War until you eat your pasta first. The only thing it's missing is a waiter.

If you watch the video below, you will see how the case folds out into a table...

Italian Mess Kit..jpg

Last edited:
Was collecting Oktoberfest beers for a while. Then drank em.

20181008_233603.jpg

I have nearly every ticket of every Saints game I've been to. I say nearly because I'm sure I didn't keep all the ones from when I was a kid and I know I'm missing one from one of the 2005 Tiger Stadium games. This was my first one.20181017_193336.jpg

My family says I "collect collections"
Here is what I collect, or have a collection of:
1. Fossils
2. Seashells
3. Christmas cards
4. Nativity sets
5. Christmas: ornaments, lights, Santas, plastic figures, record albums
6. Antiques: Americana, Country store, farm, household
7. Vintage photographs: Americana, New Orleans
8. Stamps
9. Coins
10. Mardi Gras: doubloons. glass beads, guides (magazines), Haydel's figures
11. Postcards
12. Antique/Vintage glass bottles
13. Football cards

If you have an interest in any of these feel free to contact me for buy, sell, trade or just ti chat about.

I don;t know why I chose this item to show... But I did... Maybe it's because it actually has such a different story behind it, and why the typewriter could be called a WWII Item. This is another item from my collection.

1936 Royal Model "O" Portable Typewriter.
49507998_1989855784385417_6897004233631989760_n.jpg

"What?" you ask. "What does a portable typewriter have to do with WWII?"
"Well, I am glad that you asked."

To start off with, this would be classified as a "Home Front" item.
Up until 1941 The United States was in Peace Production. Meaning they were producing goods for peacetime uses. Right after Pearl Harbor The United States went into Full War Production.
The Automakers stopped producing cars and started producing Tanks, Trucks and Jeeps. The last US auto rolled off the line in '42 and did not resume again until '45.

Rockola which used to make Jukeboxes started making m1 Carbine Rifles.

Well the three biggest typewriter factories were Royal, Smith-Corona and Underwood.
Smith-Corona and Underwood started making rifles and Royal began producing Aircraft Parts.
No typewriters were produced after 1941.

48714379c12d1017ac1c4748b7c0762a--grenades-typewriters.jpg
type-time-02-16-1942-055-M5.jpgsmothcorona.jpg

But what happened was that demand for the Typewriter increased. 600,000 Typewriters were needed immediately for using in Washington and Overseas. There were still going to be duty lists, reports, orders, passes, in both war zones and back home in Washington and other areas. Not to mention the thousands of offices throughout the country trying to provide goods to the US Government.

FZ6_188.jpg

The War demand also created new jobs like they didn't have before and thousands of girls moved to Washington from farms and small towns throughout the US to get jobs working for the War dept and other numerous depts created by the war and they became known as Government Girls...

001_history_001.jpgbba4a2487d7b4f0155cbf3912500d98b.jpg
Government Girls.jpg

And of course the Women's Army Corp - WAC's. All needing typewriters...

71bab51b21c2c4c49c3b90da9f7ad26f.jpg

But then Typewriters were also needed aboard the many Ships that the US was Building, and overseas in combat zones.

field deskwwii-003.jpgpost-75-1204965809.jpg

s-l225.jpg
29abdf7c98eb4bb1816359ea3dea7150.jpg

as well as the press. Such as Ernie Pyle and Alan Wood.

7316ca15669eb11859d0f4619abe010a.jpgaw1aaa.jpg

So with the need for typewriters growing and none being produced. The US Government then did a Drive to collect typewriters throughout the country called 42 Keys to Victory. Old typewriters were cleaned up and put into service... This also created a new demand for a service and typewriter repair shops sprang up to keep old one working since new ones were not available.

drive.jpg8b09522v.jpg

So as luck would have it as the typewriter shortage was being addressed and all the needs being taken care of as best that could be done... What happens next in our typewriter story?

During Operation Overlord (The Invasion of Normandy) one of the few supply ships that was sunk during the invasion went to the bottom with 20,000 typewriters, and they are still suspected to be there today. I cannot confirm it, but the ship could possibly be either the USS Charles Morgan sunk by the Luftwaffe on June 10th. or The SS Albert C Field which was also sunk by the Luftwaffe on June 18th while enroute to Normandy with a Convoy that had left England on June 16th. She also went down with 1,300 bags of mail.

This shortage of typewriters in Europe can be seen in the 1962 Movie "Hell Is For Heroes". Bob Newhart plays a company clerk sent out in a jeep by the General to confiscate any Typewriter that he could find in the area thus providing more evidence of a shortage in the European Theater of Operations after The Normandy Invasion

So in closing as the war neared it's end, the US went back to Peacetime production in 1945.

20729104_1728885137121697_8910423621077061274_o.jpg

And now you can see how the lowly little typewriter helped to win WWII and why it can be classified as a WWII Item.

Last edited:
20180629_141248.jpg

Have more, but that's all that I could fit on the table.
nice! i have owned just about every bottle there, except for the angle’s envy.

when i moved, i broke just about every bottle i was saving. my favorite was the unopened bottle of thomas h handy sazerac. 2012 with 67-69 abv. the other bottle i finished (bought 2) was the best bourbon i’ve ever had to date and that feels like an eternity ago now :(

I don’t really collect anymore, but I’ve got a lot of comic books from the 70s and 80s.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom