What do you collect? (3 Viewers)

nice! i have owned just about every bottle there, except for the angle’s envy.

when i moved, i broke just about every bottle i was saving. my favorite was the unopened bottle of thomas h handy sazerac. 2012 with 67-69 abv. the other bottle i finished (bought 2) was the best bourbon i’ve ever had to date and that feels like an eternity ago now :(

Man, thats tragic! I still have yet to find a bottle of handy. Hear its awesome stuff though.

Man, thats tragic! I still have yet to find a bottle of handy. Hear its awesome stuff though.
luckily there is a store in br which you can (could) get, before the son took it over, that had such a little interest in the specials, so much easier to get. plus the 2012 wasn’t as popular as the pappys at the time. “special” sazerac i didn’t care for. also, four roses limited editions are usually fantastic. sometimes you can find them where they sell normal single barrel roses mispriced. twice now i have been that lucky (thank you albertsons)

I'd like to send this one out to Uncle Jim and Purvis_guy's father. I bet that they both had one of these.

Army Cook Manual.jpg

I don;t have the biggest collection in the world, But I have barely scratched the surface... I'll post more Food related items later when I got more time.

Another for Unkle Jim and Purvis' Father... You can bet they used one of these.. Often.

I love this little piece... Oh... BTW- If you read my earlier post that had the Christmas Menus... That combined Christmas and Food...

anyways.. Here's another Food related Item... I will show more later of course, we got a ways to go...
and I got a few pieces in these last few days that are kind cool.. Can;t wait to share 'em...

But first... Remember this one.. There will be a test on this one later... I repeat.. Remember this one. There will be a test on this later...

It's the dreaded Number 56 Ladle... 1 Qt.

56 ladel 2.jpg

56 ladel 3.jpg

And a couple more food related items for Unkle Jim and Purvis' Father...

M1936 US Officer's mess Kit.

officers mess kit.jpg

20170525_154124 a.jpg

And Finally... This... This is a favorite. I am sure that Unkle Jim and Purvis father had one of these. August 1944

Army recipes 2.jpg

And what does the Army use for their Bean Soup? Why NAVY beans of course.

Army Bean Soup.jpg

Like I said earlier, there will be a test.. Notice how the #56 ladle is used as a measuring device for these recipes...

20170524_160311 a.jpg20170403_150641-1a.jpg

Not much enthusiasm it seems... I will re-evaluate... Maybe I will post a few items a little more cooler shall I say.

Anyways.. WWII Paper items are cool with me.. Plain, simple. But I find them cool regardless. I have a few.

This item I picked up the other day for a couple dollars... Not much... But I just think it's cool.

Again this is another Home Front Item.
A 1942 Certificate of War Necessity from the Office of Defense Transportation.
for a 1928 Buick Pickup Truck
Notice its use was for farming.

Certificate 2 a.jpg

This is what a 1928 Buick Pickup Looks like.

1928 Buick pickup.jpg

Now... I would like to throw this out there and see if any of our younger folks can answer.... (If anyone is actually reading this thread anymore.) Only someone below the age of 35 are allowed to answer.. If you are above 35 you can say, I Know Why... But I repeat.. Only someone 35 or below is allowed to answer this question. You may not google it.

The question is: Why was it important that the owner of this truck get it classified as a War Necessity?

Last edited:
Not much enthusiasm it seems... I will re-evaluate... Maybe I will post a few items a little more cooler shall I say.

Anyways.. WWII Paper items are cool with me.. Plain, simple. But I find them cool regardless. I have a few.

This item I picked up the other day for a couple dollars... Not much... But I just think it's cool.

Again this is another Home Front Item.
A 1942 Certificate of War Necessity from the Office of Defense Transportation.
for a 1928 Buick Pickup Truck
Notice its use was for farming.

Certificate 2 a.jpg

This is what a 1928 Buick Pickup Looks like.

1928 Buick pickup.jpg

Now... I would like to throw this out there and see if any of our younger folks can answer.... (If anyone is actually reading this thread anymore.) Only someone below the age of 35 are allowed to answer.. If you are above 35 you can say, I Know Why... But I repeat.. Only someone 35 or below is allowed to answer this question. You may not google it.

The question is: Why was it important that the owner of this truck get it classified as a War Necessity?
Is it because it would have to be scrapped for the war effort if it wasn't? Just a guess

Speaking of WWII items, I'm not a collector, but I do have my grandfather's flight jackets, and a Japanese helmet he brought back (gotta wonder whose it was). Will need to post some pics

Figured I would post something a little cooler this time.

Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knife... aka.. The British Commando Dagger.

20190129_093254.jpg

This thing is Razor Sharp... The thinness of the blade was designed for better penetration through the ribcage. This is a quote from the designer. It is essential that the blade have a sharp stabbing point and good cutting edges, because an artery torn through (as against a clean cut) tends to contract and stop the bleeding. If a main artery is cleanly severed, the wounded man will quickly lose consciousness and die.

20190129_093227.jpg

This is also a Third Pattern knife... The first two designs had smooth handles, but after complaints that they became hard to handle after being soaked in blood, they latter designed the grip with the ringed style handles for better grip.

20190129_093223.jpg

The F-S fighting knife was made famous during World War II when issued to British Commandos, the Airborne Forces, the SAS and many other units, especially for the Normandy landings in June 1944.

Here is the knife pictured in Training exercises. Notice the soldier getting stabbed has one in his leg pocket... That one is a first pattern with smoother diamond edged handle.

The leather sheath would actually sometimes be sewn into their uniform for quick and easy access.

commando_training knife.jpg

The length of the blade was chosen to give several inches of blade to penetrate the body after passing through the 3 in (7.6 cm) of the thickest clothing that was anticipated to be worn in the war, namely that of Soviet greatcoats. Later production runs of the F-S fighting knife have a blade length that is about 7.5 in (19 cm).

20170108_164224-1.jpg

20170108_164240-1.jpg

Last edited:
I posted this once somewhere else... I am doing it again since I already have the picture and I wanted to put it on this thread... Another Home Front Item... a Button...

There are more items to go...

button 3.jpg

button 2.jpg

button and quarter.jpg

Although this item was produced before WWI... It is a WWII item as it was used in WWII as well... This one really speaks for itself...

Bugle and Trumpet Calls for The British Army 1906

20190210_152148.jpg

20190210_152202.jpg

20190210_152215.jpg

20190210_152236.jpg

20190210_152245.jpg

20190210_152257.jpg

20190210_152306.jpg

I have a collection of mardi gras memorabelia back to 1850. Also some Louisiana artwork and books written by Louisiana authors.
I also have some civil war collections: knives, swords. Would like some guns, letters or clothing.
Also collect maritime artifacts. I have a Small collection of sports memorabelia.

Last edited:
I will be dogged... I have been thinking about making this very thread...

I collect WWII items and I have been thinking about showing this collection here on SR.com. I have one bedroom here that is an actual little museum...

Would anyone like to actually like see this collection?

looked at the stuff you posted....very interesting
my father is a WWII buff (especially the Pacific Theater) and collects stuff along with what we give him
he has a mint condition working artillery timer, cruise books, die cast aircraft, etc

I actually found a sterling silver ring from a crew member from the CV2 USS Lexington which is his favorite ship.

I have a pretty big gun collection. It ranges from a World War 2 Era 1911 to a just purchased Beretta 92. Most of my collect is 1911 style guns, but I have several others. Over the Last 20 years I built my collection to 53 handguns and 8 Rifles. I just love fooling with them, cleaning them. And taking them apart. They are really works of Art and I’m fascinated with the different design of each. That is almost as fun as going to the range and shooting them.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom