What do you collect? (1 Viewer)

Been collecting employment reject notices. I actually collect old NO brewery items: Dixie, Jax, Falstaff, Regal openers and such.

Now that Lent is over and My good old Buddy @guidomerkinsrules is back with us again I can post on this thread... I wouldn't want him to miss anything...

WWII Item.... sort of.. But known as a Period item... an item from that period although not necessarily War related.

Ticket Stub to The Red River Rivalry Football game Between OU and Texas.
Oct 9. 1943
OU lost 7-13
Coach - Dewey William "Snorter" Luster University of Oklahoma from 1941 to 1945, compiling a career college football coaching record of 32–22–4.
Ticket Cost - $2.50

In the six months after the attack on Pearl Harbor, nearly 60 Sooner athletes in all sports had enlisted in some branch of the armed services and more continued to enlist as the war progressed.

First off, I am going to try and merge all my posts into one thread only... I will try that later. Now on to today's WWII Item.

These were manufactured by a bunch of different companies back then. Of course by your regular card manufacturing companies and then like this one for the advertising specialty.

and what turned out to be just showing another WWII item from my collection actually turning into a history lesson for me. I will post the pictures of the item.. and then go into the little history that I learned today. These items pretty Much Speak for themselves...

Aircraft spotter Cards from Coca-Cola. 1943... But other card makers produced them themselves. I actually have a couple different decks. The cards that I picked were at random.

But the bottom line is that for the Men and Women overseas in WWII there was a lot of idle time, and a lot of boredom. These cards were created in an effort that as the men were playing card games with these cards during that idle time, it would possibly help with identification of enemy and friendly aircraft. This Technique was also used in our Gulf Wars as well with the Iraqi Most wanted playing cards.

Card case.jpg

card cover.jpg

card layout.jpg

german bomber.jpgQueen of spades.jpgjap bomber.jpg

In the making of this post I learned a lot more about Coca-Cola in WWII... From some of the history sights.

In 1941, longtime Coca-Cola leader Robert Woodruff said that any person in uniform should get a bottle of Coke for 5 cents, wherever he is and whatever it costs the Company.

During WWII, a special group of Coca-Colaemployees called Technical Observers were asked to fulfill Woodruff's promise. The "TOs" supervised the shipment and operation of 64 complete bottling plants that distributed over 5 billion bottles of Coca-Cola to servicemen and women.

One hundred forty-eight men served as TOs, compete with Army officer's rank, pay and uniforms that had a unique identification patch. Two TOs were killed in the line of duty.

Providing Coke to troops in remote areas of the South Pacific posed one of the most difficult problems to the TOs. The Brisbane, Australia, bottler offered one solution to the problem when he re-commssioned a portable soda fountain that had been used at drugstore conventions and had it flown into the hills to quench the thirsts of B-26 pilots. It was so successful that the Army requested a hundred more immediately.

Technicians from the Coca-Cola Export Corporation, working with the Liquid Carbonic and Hussman-Ligonier Companies, quickly developed a portable dispensing unit know as a "jungle fountain." Combining a standard Junior Dole Dispenser with an ice-making machine, the unit could be easily transported by truck to any location.

Here is coca-cola being delivered to Front Line troops in Italy. I think that the expression on their faces says it all.

"Soldiers of the 133rd F.A. BN. BTRY C of the 36th Div. dug in on the front lines near San Michele, Italy, 2 March 1944, get their first Coca-Cola in over a year. Drinking a “Coke” is Pvt Norman A Martin of Detroit, MI. Passing them on downto the men in the gun position are Pvt John L. Hill of Louisville, KY, and Pfc Roy F. Jones of Marshall, TX." (U.S. Army Photo Courtesy of Dwight D. Eisenhower Library)

Coke in the field.jpg

Marines in the Pacific.

Marine Coke.jpg

Naval SeaBees Refrigeration Unit in the Pacific.

Coke-machine-worked-by-the-refrigeration-crew-for-men-in-64th-Naval-Construction-Battalion-Tub...jpg

and this little bit...

During World War II, America shipped an entire Coca-Cola bottling factory overseas so that our fighting soldiers could enjoy the Real Thing. We did this more than once, in both the European and Pacific theaters of war. It all began in 1943. That's when General Dwight Eisenhower (who grew up in Abilene!) decided he wanted to make the iconic American soda available to his soldiers as close to the battle front as possible.

While commanding troops in North Africa, Ike sent a message to his boss, Army Chief of Staff George C. Marshall, requesting 3 million bottles of Coke. He also requested the equipment and supplies needed to wash, refill, bottle and cap six million more bottles worth of Coke each month. Ike's boss approved the request and the Coca-Cola Company was happy to help out. The company essentially put together an entire bottling facility and shipped it to Eisenhower's troops.

coke WWII poster.jpg

and from Bill Mauldin. Cartoonist with the 45th Infantry Division.

Coke Cartoon..jpg

I haven't been drinking soft drinks in years.. But today I think that I may just run out and have me a Coca-Cola.

Joe

Last edited:
I work at a school getting ready to demolish its old science building, and nothing in there is inventoried or has any kind of paper trail. I found unopened boxes of PYREX (all caps) test tubes, petri dishes, flasks, beakers, bulbs, bell jars, all sorts of glassware. Cold gas discharge tubes with power supples. Pressurized cylinders of hazardous gasses. A Laserdisc player!!! Triple balance scale, microscope, vacuum pump... I pretty much have a science lab at home now. My wife hates it!

I also found a radioactive bucket but left that one there. It's going to cost the school $20K just to get rid of it!

I picked this up today.. December 7, 1941 PM Edition

Dec 7, 1941 a.jpg

In Honor of D-Day June 6th, 1944. The 75th Anniversary.

This is one of my prized pieces.

Normandy Invasion Map

I picked this piece up with the story that it came from an estate sale in Canada. If you notice how the map was originally folded you can see how the beach invasion areas of the map are darken with dirt and how the man actually carried the map. The area that he mainly used clearly shows Juno Beach where the 3rd Canadian Division landed.

The invasion area was 50 miles wide.

20170515_131232-1.jpg

Utah Beach and the St. Mere Eglise area.

Ste Mere Eglise area.jpg

Invasion map 1.jpg

This is actually a re-post of sorts.. But in Honor of D-Day's 75th Anniversary.

This ship was at Normandy on June 6th.

USS Henrico

USSHenricoAPA45 (1).jpg

Normandy invasion[edit]
Henrico embarked her invasion troops on 26 May at Portland, England, and sailed on 5 June as a part of Rear Admiral John Hall's Omaha Beach Assault Force. On the following day, 6 June, Henrico landed her troops, the 16th Regiment of the First Infantry Division,[3] in the first assault wave on the Easy Red Sector of Omaha Beach in the face of heavy seas and strong enemy fortifications. As the tempo of fighting increased, the ship received casualties from the beaches, returning to Portland later on "D-Day." As the assault area was secured and the advance began, Henrico stood by for shuttle duty, finally sailing for the Firth of Clyde on 19 June.

Anyways...

Henrico's Christmas Day Menu 6 months before the invasion.

Henrico Menu 1.jpg

20180606_101113 a 1.jpg

20180606_101129 b 1.jpg

This is my latest pickup.. and I also have a reason for posting it now, that I may or may reveal at a later date.

WWII Item of the Week... Japanese "Good Luck" Flag. -yosegaki hinomaru.
Now I am no expert on these but the big question is: "Is this real or not."
During WWII these flag were given to the soldiers when they were drafted into the army. Did you have to be just drafted, I don;t know. But the flag was to be carried in the pockets of the soldiers. Most of them tied them to their guns.
It became a tradition for the family and friends to write on a soldiers flag statements of Good Luck, well Wishes, stay safe etc on these flags. The majority of them that you see have this writing on them. I would say about 75%. The writing also went out like sun rays most time.
But, some of the flags did not have writing on them as seen by the other pictures I am posting...
After the war was over, people in Japan would still make these flags and write on them to sell to troops that were wanting war souvenirs as they were occupying Japan. Therefore it makes it extremely difficult to tell the During the war vs, post war flags.
Heck they would write "Die American" and we would never know unless we read Japanese haha.
But anyways, just trying to decide if this is an actual piece from WWII or a post war copy is the question. And this is also a fun part of collecting this stuff.
So we are going to look at this piece real quick.
1. It's pretty Old. You can tell by the moth holes that it has some age to it.
2. The leather corners are still on the flag. There was no cost cutting by a defeated nation there.
3. There is NO fancy writings on it. This was used to the extra WOW and sales factor.
4. The Flag ties on the ends used to tie the flag to something have been "CUT". As if the person who took it had cut it off something.
5. There is machine stitching of the Flag.
6. It was purchased from a renowned dealer.
The person that carried this may have not been in a combat unit. He may have not gotten back home to have his family and friends sign it. We will never know.
None of these things will actually allow me to date this flag to say it was a Pre-war, Mid-war or Post-War manufacture. But given these factors that I stated above. I do believe that there is a 60% chance or more that this is an actually Mid-War Flag and not a post war manufacture.
Anyways.. Thanks all....

20190612_130821a.jpg

62606163_2282700795127301_5586810303774982144_n.jpg

fig58.jpg

1fngxx9svac21.jpg

i know i have posted in here, not sure if i disclosed my love for lock picking. fork yeah.

i have a lot of older locks; german, russian, european (lol), and a few oddballs.

much cooler than looking at boat pictures.

I am really proud of this little piece... Most of my WWII collection has a theme of Christmas, Music, Food and Oklahoma. If that makes sense. But this very small piece is such a huge statement.

You Navy guys could explain what this is better than I could. But the bottom line it is used as money aboard ship.

Oklahoma Chit.jpg

Thing that really makes it unique and or valuable, is that the USS Oklahoma was sunk and capsized on December 7, 1941 in the Attack at Pearl Harbor with 429 Men lost after taking 5 torpedos in the attack.

It took over 15 months but the ship was uprighted, and all her armament salvaged.

After WWII she was being hauled from Oahu to California shipyard, she sank in a storm about 500 miles east of Hawaii and her whereabouts are unknown today.

USS_Oklahoma_BB-37.jpg

1024px-NASPH_%5E118506-_19_March_1943._USS_Oklahoma-_Salvage._Aerial_view_toward_shore_with_ship_in_90_degree_position._-_NARA_-_296975.jpg

USS Oklahoma (BB-37) was a Nevada-class battleship built by the New York Shipbuilding Corporation for the United States Navy in 1910, notable for being the first American class of oil-burning dreadnoughts.

Commissioned in 1916, Oklahoma served in World War I as a part of Battleship Division Six, protecting Allied convoys on their way across the Atlantic. After the war, she served in both the United States Battle Fleet and Scouting Fleet. Oklahoma was modernized between 1927 and 1929. In 1936, she rescued American citizens and refugees from the Spanish Civil War. On returning to the West Coast in August of the same year, Oklahoma spent the rest of her service in the Pacific.

On 7 December 1941, Oklahoma was sunk by several torpedoes during the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. Torpedoes from torpedo bomber airplanes hit the Oklahoma's hull and the ship capsized. A total of 429 crew died; survivors jumped off the ship 50 feet (15 m) into burning hot water or crawled across mooring lines that connected Oklahoma and Maryland. Some sailors inside escaped when rescuers drilled holes and opened hatches to rescue them. In 1943, Oklahomawas righted and salvaged. Unlike most of the other battleships that were recovered following Pearl Harbor, Oklahoma was too damaged to return to duty. Her wreck was eventually stripped of her remaining armament and superstructure before being sold for scrap in 1946. The hulk sank in a storm in 1947, while being towed from Oahu, Hawaii, to a breakers yard in San Francisco Bay.

Last edited:
just found a great Christmas gift for my dad. His favorite plane from WWII was the F4U Corsair

This is a squadron book for Wright's Raiders and it is signed by most of the members

s-l500 (1).jpg

s-l500 (2).jpg

just found a great Christmas gift for my dad. His favorite plane from WWII was the F4U Corsair

This is a squadron book for Wright's Raiders and it is signed by most of the members

s-l500 (1).jpg

s-l500 (2).jpg

Dude.. That is Nice... Signed pieces are some of the best... and give increased value. Nice find... I just won off ebay a small 1943 Calendar from an Insurance company in Missouri.. Little things...

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom