What do you collect? (1 Viewer)

I might as well go ahead and add this piece. I have had it for a few years...

US Army Signal Corp Pigeon Carrier. It carried two pigeons into battle along with a top containment area for the pigeon supplies like Feed, Message capsules and message book...

good photo.jpg

20191025_144620.jpg

20191025_144624.jpg

20191025_144636.jpg

20191108_194058.jpg

backside.jpg

The bottle of beer is just to show scale.

beer scale.jpg

I lost an ebay bidding war on a letter home by a soldier that worked for the pigeon corp... It went for over $50.. But I wish I had stayed in the bidding now... The soldier writes home to his wife and says.. "They race the pigeons regular and have wagers on them... and every now and then an officer will come up and bet on a pigeon. Boy" he says: "When an officer tell you that you better win... You better win or you'll be doing extra duty."
I wish that I had won the letter...

anyways.. This is about all the I know about the US Army Pigeon Corp.

--------------------------------

The United States Army Pigeon Service (a.k.a. Signal Pigeon Corps) was a unit of the United States Army during World War I and World War II. Their assignment was the training and usage of homing pigeons for communication and reconnaissance purposes.[1]

During World War II, the force consisted of 3,150 soldiers and 54,000 war pigeons, which were considered an undetectable method of communication. Over 90% of US Army messages sent by pigeons were received.[2]

During the Italian Campaign of World War II, G.I. Joe was a pigeon who saved the lives of the inhabitants of the village of Calvi Vecchia, Italy, and of the British troops of 56th (London) Infantry Division occupying it. Air support had been requested against German positions at Calvi Vecchia on 18 October 1943, but the message that the 169th (London) Infantry Brigade had captured the village, delivered by G.I. Joe, arrived just in time to avoid the bombing. G.I. Joe flew this 20-mile distance in an impressive 20 minutes, just as the planes were preparing to take off for the target. He saved a thousand men.

For his efforts, G.I. Joe was presented the Dickin Medal for "the most outstanding flight made by a United States Army pigeon in World War II."[5]

By the beginning of World War 2, the U.S. Army had approximately 54,000 pigeons working under the Signal Pigeon Corps. As these birds became more frequently used over the course of the war, the U.S. Army Veterinary Service had to dedicate a unit to "the protection of pigeon health, the preservation of their physical efficiency, and the safeguard against introducing or disseminating pigeon-borne diseases affecting other animals and the human being."[8]

These objectives were obtained by furnishing professional services and supervisory assistance in the care, feeding, housing, and transporting of pigeons; conducting laboratory diagnostic and investigative studies on pigeon diseases; establishing controls against the diseases of pigeons by quarantine procedures; inspecting and reporting on factors having a bearing on pigeon health; and giving technical assistance in the training of pigeoneers. Although 36,000 pigeons were deployed overseas, the foregoing veterinary services were not practiced uniformly in all of the theaters and oversea areas because of the newness in the concept of military veterinary medicine for the Army Pigeon Service.

DrlP3iCU8AEnWZq.jpg

pigeon Cartoon.jpg

Attachments

• 20191025_144610.jpg
    20191025_144610.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 20191108_194058.jpg
    20191108_194058.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
This came in the mail today... measures about 11" x 16".. Has all the months in it..

1943 Calendar.jpg

That said... I can see that i should be wasting any more time on this thread.

Cool piece. Any explanation as to the little red #'s under the larger #'s? Is it just a count of the days of the year? For example, does Feb 1st have a "32" under it?

And, finally, what # does 3-28 have under it? I don't feel up to doing the math...

i know i have posted in here, not sure if i disclosed my love for lock picking. fork yeah.

i have a lot of older locks; german, russian, european (lol), and a few oddballs.

much cooler than looking at boat pictures.

yeah I am never gonna let you know where I live

I will be dogged... I have been thinking about making this very thread...

I collect WWII items and I have been thinking about showing this collection here on SR.com. I have one bedroom here that is an actual little museum...

Would anyone like to actually like see this collection?
Yes l would please

Just got this to start off my new collection, had a lot of them back home in England but sold them when l moved to USA9EBA497D-2D94-409E-ACF2-577B262800AE.png

Cool piece. Any explanation as to the little red #'s under the larger #'s? Is it just a count of the days of the year? For example, does Feb 1st have a "32" under it?

And, finally, what # does 3-28 have under it? I don't feel up to doing the math...

Thanks for the reply...

3-28 #87

You are correct. It's the number of the day in the year... My mothers Birthday is Saturday 3-13-43 , day # 72.. 1st QTR. Moon... just so ya know...

1943 Calendar 2 a.jpg

I have posted one of these before... ANd I posted about the USS Oklahoma... But... Song an Service Book for Ship and Field... BUt I picked this one up and it's different from the other... Due to the Fact it is labeled to the Ship it was on... and In this Case.

WWII Item of the Week... This is a Church Service book for Sailors and Troops in the Service in WWII... There are many of these. But what makes this on special is that if is Stamped. USS Oklahoma.. Printed 1941. And if you know your history the USS Oklahoma was partially capsized after 4 torpedoes at Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941.
The Book is divided into three separate categories, Protasant, Catholic and Jewish.
Only one of three things could have happened.
1. The book was printed and it never made it to the ship.
2. It was delivered to the ship and taken from a sailor as he left the ship.
3. It was in the ship, and as it was salvaged after the pearl harbor attack.
Unfortunately the truth will never be known... For me.. It was on the ship on Dec 7 and salvaged.
We will never truely know...

20191110_142408.jpg

20191110_132845.jpg
20191110_132857 a.jpg
20191110_132857.jpg
20191110_142043.jpg

Attachments

• 20191110_142035.jpg
    20191110_142035.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 0

It's the Julian calendar date, as mentioned its the number of the days in order. Jan 1st is 1 etc.

Make sure that you click on the sound at the lower right hand bottom of the video screen.

Last edited:
I only collect the broken bones and crushed dreams of my enemies. :mad:

I’m a “take arse and kick names” (tm Infinity War) type of guy. :hihi:

Used to collect comic books. then Katrina came and I lost them all. Had some good ones....X-men, Spider-Man(1st Hobgoblin, 1st Venom, 1st Carnage), original Marvel Star Wars. Loved collecting them. After Katrina, I tried to get back into it but it wasn't the same. They had gotten so expensive($3.99/$4.99 a pop) and the stories just didn't excite me. I still try to pick up a few issues here and there thru Comixology and read them. It's just different now.

I have started collecting sports(mainly Saints) memorabilia. My home office is full of Saints memorabilia. That's my new thing now.

My latest Pickup... Paid $5...

Naval Officer's Guide.. Copyright '43 '44...

20191121_181424.jpg

20191121_181442.jpg

20191121_181519.jpg

20191121_181628.jpg

Attachments

• 20191121_181603.jpg
    20191121_181603.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 1

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom