What do you do if you hit a dog with your car? (1 Viewer)

Dre

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
This has not happened to me! And I'm sorry for this morbid post.

I have seen numerous Facebook posts from dog owners furious about people not helping dogs they hit. I've never owned a dog, so I don't know much about dog emergencies, but people really love their dogs, and I'd like to do the right thing if it were to happen.

So lets say you hit one, and he is mildly injured (now can hobble still)? Do you just contact the owners?
How about if you seem to really injure one, but still alive? Is there like a vet ambulance or something?
What if, God forbid, one dies? What do you do then?

I'm sorry this is so morbid, but I figured it happens enough, I'd rather know the right thing to do if it ever happens to me.

Stop, look at tags. Call owner. If serious, look at tags, take to vet and have them call owner.

If its still alive then take it to the vet. If you kill it try to find out if owners are around. If owner is a big dude that looks mad then ****.

Is there a way to approach a wounded dog without getting attacked? What if it happens at night? are there 24 hour emergency vets? And who has to pay the vet bill?

Is there a way to approach a wounded dog without getting attacked? What if it happens at night? are there 24 hour emergency vets? And who has to pay the vet bill?

With caution - they'll be protective but likely realize they need help. Soothe, and try to read the dog/situation. Put your safety first and like I said use common sense - not all dogs or injuries will be the same

24 hour vets exist

Vet bill I'd guess depends on the situation - legally I'd guess the loose dog is at fault (ie owners) but I'd want to help most likely

Thanks. This topic came into my head years ago, and then tonight got triggered again. I know these questions sound idiotic, which is why I chose to post them anonymously on a message board:) I appreciate the info.

What do you do if you hit a dog with your car?

It happened to me once. I just stopped my car, watched it run off, said "oh well" and drove away.

There used to be, still might be a 24 hour vet on Terry Pkwy.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Dude.
When I was a wee lad of 20, I was driving down a residential street, around 8 pm, and some people were outside playing with their dog. Well, the dog chased a ball or something that they threw into the street, and before I knew it, I'd hit the poor thing. It was a little dog and what a horrifying scene. The two little kids screamed, the oldest child dropped to his knees in agony, and the mom grasped her chest. I started to panic. I wanted to hit the gas, but my conscience whipped my *** on the spot, so I put it in park and got out. The dog was trapped under my car, but not under a tire. Also, I was doing about 20 when I hit it because I was looking for my date's house.
Anyway, I helped them get the poor thing from under the car - it was yelping and whimpering, and I was horrified. What if it dies, I thought.
Well, once we got him from under the car, he took off like a rocket, as if nothing ever happened. I offered to follow them to a late night emergency vet, and they declined, saying that he seemed perfectly fine. I offered them a couple hundred, which was all the money I had between my pocket and value savings account :hihi:, just in case he needed medical care, and they declined. The mom just thanked me for not being a jerk and driving off and she said it was probably her kids' fault for pitching the toy into the street as a car was passing. Whew!
My date, who eventually became my wife, lived 2 blocks down and when I went to pick her up each time, I'd check to see if he was ok or if they were outside playing with him, and sure enough, the little dude was still alive and kicking for quite some time after the accident.

some years ago, while my kids were like 3 and 6, we got a puppy. Unfortunately he wondered out and ended up in the street, and some guy hit her with his car and killed her. He took a guess at our house, the wife answered the door, and he explained what happened and where she was.. Anyways, the point of this story, my oldest son who was 6 at the time, was so furious, and for years he wanted that guy's head for what had happened. But now years later, I've heard him mentioned, he was very glad the guy bothered to stop and tried to report what happened. So we weren't left in the dark as to where she was or what happened.

I myself have never hit a dog or a cat with my car. armadillos and possums and rabbits are another story. Anyways, if I were to hit somebody's dog.. man I would hate that.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom