What do you guys think of Gibbs thus far? (1 Viewer)

Rugger

Super Moderator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I am a bit torn.

The defense and in particularly the linebacking unit, has far exceed my expectations. I like the vast step-up in complexity compared to recent years past. I like the penetrating style of the line and the down hill play of our backers. Yes I agree that they have not look great the last couple of weeks, but what a difference a year makes. I also think he is getting the most out of our secondary. The loss of Harper hurts in the run game. I agree with most that our corners need to be upgraded, but they look good compared to, again, what we saw in recent years.

Our DT have been making some play, but where are our ends? I am a huge Grant fan and I think he is very good versus the run, but is he that rush end we thought we were drafting? I am really leaning in the direction of addressing a corner in FA and making DE, yet again, our top prority. It is not all his fault though. If Will Smith, who I swore would be one of the top sacking DEs this year, would find the QB Grant could fit in more as a LE and Smith could be a game changing Beast at RE. Smith has not looked impressive so far at all to me. I am not sure if it is them or the scheme, but I think it has to be addressed in the off season.

As far as Gibbs' scheme goes. My biggest complaint ties into what I was trying to convey previously. I think we are solid in most of our positions on defense. I think we lack big plays i.e. key turnovers and I think the problem is two fold. First I think the defense is severly lacking in playmakers. There is no one on defense that IMO is causing teams to scheme around. Our most talented players are not making plays and we have a bunch of guys overachieving. Along with that I do not think Gibbs is effectively setting our players up to make the big plays. I posted this example last week. We had the Steelers pinned back third and long inside their fifteen yard line. Obvious passing down and instead of putting preassure on Ben we rush four and he has all day to throw a twenty yard completition. The same was said when we played the Panthers. We let Jake have way too much time.

I like Gibbs' overall scheme, but I think he gets too conservative in key situations and it has burned us.

So far I would have to give him a B.

Thoughts?

The defense is inconsistant. Shows up one game and disappears the next. I have to wait for a couple of years until he gets his people in the system until I can really say one way or the other. The people are in position to make plays but just don't most of the time. Wait until we get another corner and linebacker and let them play. Then we can see if he is a good DC. But for now I am impressed with what he can do with what he has.

I think Gibbs has done the best with the talent we have. The most impressive aspect of our D thus far has been the tackling. Yes we've been out of position at times, but over all the difference between this year and the Venturi defense is night and day. Just typing Venturi makes me cringe.

For sure. I would take this defense over He Who Shall Remain Nameless defense anytime. Just ask the Rams if he is good.

You know what they say, the team that can block and tackle well wins games. It is that simple, good blocking on offense and good tackling on defense.

We might not have the confusing defense of some of the AFC powerhouses (Ravens, Chargers, Broncos) but this year I really think he has this team tackling better then ever.

Now that the basics are covered he can focus on some of the more in depth plays like that of which Dallas uses. Just give him some time.

Last edited:
our defense is playing loads better than last season or the year before, however we still need alot of help.

if we could get a stud MLB or another good CB it would improve our defense so much better.

our defense is playing loads better than last season or the year before, however we still need alot of help.

if we could get a stud MLB or another good CB it would improve our defense so much better.

Again does the problem stop there? Where are our ends? I agree that we need CB help and it should be addressed in the offseason, but DE is supposed to be our strength and I would say those huys are looking solid at best like all the other defensive positions.

We need playmakers, but we also need pressure. Jake and Ben had way too much time to throw for long first downs. Is that the scheme or the players?

I think given the talent that we have...the defense has played to the best of it's capabilities....they've been very disciplined compared to our defenses of the past 2-3 years....I never was a Venturi fan....they have had fewer big plays occur thus far and I can only imagine what this defensive group would be like with some shutdown corners.....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom