What do you think about food deliberately made to be addictive? (1 Viewer)

Salt would not do it.

Pretty much everything you eat has salt.

I am talking about substances no one would expect to be in something.

People expect all sorts of things to be in food: the main ingredients, preservatives, coloring agents, etc. No one expects a chemical designed to increase the addictive nature of salt, for instance.

But that's not what the article talked about. Salt was the major one, but food texture (they have figured out how crunchy to make Cheetos in order to make the brain think you aren't full) and multiple flavors (e.g. Cherry Vanilla Dr. Pepper) are also contributing factors.

Let's say you wanted to make a chocolate chip cookie dough milkshake at home - what do you need? Cream, sugar, chocolate, flour, eggs, vanilla, butter, salt.

Now, buy the same item at Baskin Robbins: you're looking at over 50 ingredients in that shake, and that's aside from the calories and fat

50 ingredients in a milkshake

:boggle:

I follow what you are saying but you know I will have to mess with you.

Recipe ingredients for a homemade chocolate chip cookie dough milkshake recipe...

<table align="center" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" height="140" width="687"><tbody><tr><td nowrap="nowrap" width="471">
Kraft, Philadelphia Soft Light Cream Cheese
</td> <td rowspan="2" valign="top" width="39">
</td> </tr> <tr> <td> INGREDIENTS: Pasteurized Nonfat Milk, and Milkfat, Whey, Whey Protein Concentrate, Cheese Culture, Salt, Calcium Phosphate, (Ingredient Not in Regular Cream Cheese), Stabilizers (Xanthan Gum, and/or Carob Bean Gum, and/or Guar Gum), Lactic Acid, (Ingredient Not in Regular Cream Cheese) Sorbic Acid, as a preservative (Ingredient Not in Regular Cream Cheese) Natural Flavor, (Ingredient Not in Regular Cream Cheese) Vitamin A Palmitate.
</td></tr></tbody></table>

NESTLE, SEMI SWEET CHOCOLATE BAKING MORSELS
INGREDIENTS: Semi-Sweet Chocolate (Sugar, Chocolate, Cocoa Butter, Milkfat, Soy Lecithin (an Emulsifier), Vanillin, Artificial Flavoring, Natural Flavoring).​

C&H, SUGAR GRANULATED CUBELETS
INGREDIENTS: Sugar.​

ARROWHEAD MILLS, WHITE FLOUR, ENRICHED UNBLEACHED
INGREDIENTS: Organic Unbleached White Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid.

McCormick Pure Vanilla Extract: Ingredients

• Vanilla bean extractives in water,
  • alcohol (35%),
  • and corn syrup.

EARTH BALANCE, BUTTERY SPREAD, NATURAL
INGREDIENTS: Expeller Pressed Natural Oil Blend, (Soybean Oil, Palm Fruit Oil, and Canola Seed Oil, and Olive), Filtered Water, Pure Salt, Natural Flavor, (Derived from Corn, No MSG, No Alcohol, No Gluten Soy Protein, Soy Lecithin, Lactic Acid, (Non-dairy, Derived from Sugar Beets, and Betacarotene. Color. (from Natural Sources).​

ANDERSON, MILK, 1% LIGHT LOWFAT
INGREDIENTS: Lowfat Milk, Vitamin D3, and, Vitamin A Palmitate.​

Eggs:
INGREDIENTS: Eggs

Had I substituted eggs for something more healthy such as egg beaters, the list of ingredients is considerably longer. Some recipes call for ice cream which is a another bag of goodies.

The reason junk food is addictive and caused obesity is because its cheap is it not? That will never change. Until they make it where it'll cost more to buy junk food than healthy foods it'll always be and that's pretty far fetched to say it'll ever change.

A banana is cheaper than a Hershey's candy bar. So are apples and oranges. I don't think cost has a big issue.

Here is my problem with the ban on large sodas. A person can go eat a triple Whopper and a large fry but not get a large drink. They can eat half a NY style pan pizza but not get a large drink. They can eat two loaded hotdogs out of a street vending cart but not get a large drink.

As far as making food addictive, the only way I see the line being crossed is when they would add an ingredient that is a known addictive ingredient solely to make the food addictive. Say they added codine to a lollipop. Other than that, all foods are being designed to taste better. Imagine a craWfish boil with just boiling water. Heck even beer is designed to taste better in order to get us to buy more.

Is designing food to get people to consume more of it any worse than bars putting salted peanuts on the bar for free? As long as known addictive substances are not added, I am ok with it. We as consumers must ultimately decide what we are going to eat.

On the flip side, what if they were to add addictive ingredients to healthy foods? What if they added something to broccoli that made everyone crave it. Would we have an issue with that?

A banana is cheaper than a Hershey's candy bar. So are apples and oranges. I don't think cost has a big issue.

Here is my problem with the ban on large sodas. A person can go eat a triple Whopper and a large fry but not get a large drink. They can eat half a NY style pan pizza but not get a large drink. They can eat two loaded hotdogs out of a street vending cart but not get a large drink.

As far as making food addictive, the only way I see the line being crossed is when they would add an ingredient that is a known addictive ingredient solely to make the food addictive. Say they added codine to a lollipop. Other than that, all foods are being designed to taste better. Imagine a craWfish boil with just boiling water. Heck even beer is designed to taste better in order to get us to buy more.

Is designing food to get people to consume more of it any worse than bars putting salted peanuts on the bar for free? As long as known addictive substances are not added, I am ok with it. We as consumers must ultimately decide what we are going to eat.

On the flip side, what if they were to add addictive ingredients to healthy foods? What if they added something to broccoli that made everyone crave it. Would we have an issue with that?

You're about to get the "poor don't have access to bananas argument"

Just one more reason that a lot of education is needed when it comes to these types of foods. Don't get me wrong, will power and the want to be fit has to be there but the food industry is at fault in a lot of ways.

hey trey..you nailed this one baby. but in the dog eat dog fast world and with a lot of mothers working to help pay the bills at home..they opt for the drive thru or pizza pie pick up.

to be honest..i shouldn't be here today..i shouldn't be breathing within my body..i dodged a major bullet. i learned how these fast foods cause tumors..destroy organs..too bad for me it took me too long to listen. at one point in my life i weighed nearly 250 pounds..then all that fat and CHEMICALS took a toll..i was gutted..took out 14 inches of my colon and part of my bladder..i was pissing blood and feces. Did the tumor have something to do with my diet? i 100 % think it did . Why are the cancer rates higher than ever in the U.S.?

And to be honest..i really don't miss having a Big Mac..or a Wendy's double with bacon...i truly think if i would try too consume one these days..i would vomit. Not because i am on chemotherapy or that my mind says NO..it's because my body somewhat resists all of the toxins that are in that food.

i cannot become a vegetarian because of my health issues..but believe me..i could very easily become one..meaning meats/by products.

i will always eat eggs..and i like the majority of seafoods.

you can take away the processed deli meats and cheeses and i would care less.

Good luck..

eat well..life is short. and as my pap used too say.."everything in moderation"

self edit..also..i am a firm believer in smoking marijuana. it's so much better for relief of pain that all of the **** the dr's script you for. for the most part..i smoke two joints a day..and i am pain free..much better than eating pills every 4 hours that destroy and eat away at your stomach..kidneys and liver..

salute

I follow what you are saying but you know I will have to mess with you.

Recipe ingredients for a homemade chocolate chip cookie dough milkshake recipe...

<table align="center" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" height="140" width="687"><tbody><tr><td nowrap="nowrap" width="471">
Kraft, Philadelphia Soft Light Cream Cheese
</td> <td rowspan="2" valign="top" width="39">
</td> </tr> <tr> <td> INGREDIENTS: Pasteurized Nonfat Milk, and Milkfat, Whey, Whey Protein Concentrate, Cheese Culture, Salt, Calcium Phosphate, (Ingredient Not in Regular Cream Cheese), Stabilizers (Xanthan Gum, and/or Carob Bean Gum, and/or Guar Gum), Lactic Acid, (Ingredient Not in Regular Cream Cheese) Sorbic Acid, as a preservative (Ingredient Not in Regular Cream Cheese) Natural Flavor, (Ingredient Not in Regular Cream Cheese) Vitamin A Palmitate.
</td></tr></tbody></table>

NESTLE, SEMI SWEET CHOCOLATE BAKING MORSELS
INGREDIENTS: Semi-Sweet Chocolate (Sugar, Chocolate, Cocoa Butter, Milkfat, Soy Lecithin (an Emulsifier), Vanillin, Artificial Flavoring, Natural Flavoring).​

C&H, SUGAR GRANULATED CUBELETS
INGREDIENTS: Sugar.​

ARROWHEAD MILLS, WHITE FLOUR, ENRICHED UNBLEACHED
INGREDIENTS: Organic Unbleached White Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid.

McCormick Pure Vanilla Extract: Ingredients

• Vanilla bean extractives in water,
  • alcohol (35%),
  • and corn syrup.

EARTH BALANCE, BUTTERY SPREAD, NATURAL
INGREDIENTS: Expeller Pressed Natural Oil Blend, (Soybean Oil, Palm Fruit Oil, and Canola Seed Oil, and Olive), Filtered Water, Pure Salt, Natural Flavor, (Derived from Corn, No MSG, No Alcohol, No Gluten Soy Protein, Soy Lecithin, Lactic Acid, (Non-dairy, Derived from Sugar Beets, and Betacarotene. Color. (from Natural Sources).​

ANDERSON, MILK, 1% LIGHT LOWFAT
INGREDIENTS: Lowfat Milk, Vitamin D3, and, Vitamin A Palmitate.​

Eggs:
INGREDIENTS: Eggs

Had I substituted eggs for something more healthy such as egg beaters, the list of ingredients is considerably longer. Some recipes call for ice cream which is a another bag of goodies.

Cream is not cream cheese

Buttery spread is not butter

And I make ice cream only from ingredients I listed above... Alton brown's recipe for "serious" vanilla ice cream.

And it's pretty good.

Imagine a craWfish boil with just boiling water.

So you have had crawfish in Houston then?

I am diabetic and I can say that eating healthy can be very expensive. I never liked sweets. I was the kid that took 4 months to get rid of his Easter basket. I was diagnosed when I was 22 and I was in the best shape of my life too.

Long story short when my oldest brother graduated from college during a physical for work he found out he was diabetic. After that my dad, other brother, and I were tested twice a year. We were fine and the beginning of my junior year of college I was fine. Fast forward to the end of the Spring semester I was type 2. Sucked big time.

Giving up sweets was no problem...carbs on the other hand were a little more of a fight.

I eat healthy and occasionally have some Zapps or some fries and indulge around the holidays, but I keep my numbers in check. I gave up diet soft drinks and mostly drink unsweet tea or water...I will have a diet coke if driving and they don't have any tea made.

I have no doubt that the additives play a role in diseases such as diabetes, the early development of females (steroids in chicken), heart disease, on and on.

The bottom line is not so much the food as all the extra stuff they put in it to make it last longer on the shelf. Portion control is a must and follow the Walton and Johnson diet plan...eat less move more.

say-no-to-drugs-say-yes-to-tacos.jpg

The concept you have is correct but it won't work. Fruits are cheaper, but does an apple or banana fill you up? How many ppl you know eat an apple or banana as a meal compared to those you know eating a bag of chips and a soda? It's the indulgence that ppl use to consume. You won't see anyone indulge in natural products unless its meat or seafood. The junk food tastes better. There's nothing addictive in like a drug. It's just made to taste better.

And I agree the way they entice you to feed on a product is deceit to indulge. Americans are overindulgers. That won't change.

They have dismissed the ban on soda btw

The concept you have is correct but it won't work. Fruits are cheaper, but does an apple or banana fill you up? How many ppl you know eat an apple or banana as a meal compared to those you know eating a bag of chips and a soda? It's the indulgence that ppl use to consume. You won't see anyone indulge in natural products unless its meat or seafood. The junk food tastes better. There's nothing addictive in like a drug. It's just made to taste better.

And I agree the way they entice you to feed on a product is deceit to indulge. Americans are overindulgers. That won't change.

They have dismissed the ban on soda btw

I am not sure it's entirely accurate.

Filling your gut is not the true purpose of eating in the first place. You eat energy and needed nutrients to gain energy and needed nutrients. If you always eat "to be full" then there is a problem. While just a banana won't fill your gut, it will give you energy and needed nutrients. No need to pack it in every time.

As far as the junk food tasting better, I am not sure about that either. If I ever buy a bag of chips (rarely), we don't call them chips. We call them chemicals cause that's all it is. "Honey, I bought a bag of chemicals. Want some?" We are so used to not eating processed chemicals that the thought and taste of them is not very appealing, but once in a while you just like to fall off the wagon momentarily. I can make homemade chips without prepackaged sawdust seasonings that taste much better than even Zapps.

The idea that we are so conditioned to having chemical laced food has made us either forget or not care about eating the non chemical laced foods. It's on practically everything, even fresh fruits and veggies. Breaking that cycle is key to enjoying fresh, non chemical laced foods. I get grossed out passing by BK as they pump out the smells to the streets to entice customers. It doesn't make me wanna go in a get quadruple whatever burger. It makes me want to walk faster..........the other way.

I am not sure it's entirely accurate.

Filling your gut is not the true purpose of eating in the first place. You eat energy and needed nutrients to gain energy and needed nutrients. If you always eat "to be full" then there is a problem. While just a banana won't fill your gut, it will give you energy and needed nutrients. No need to pack it in every time.

As far as the junk food tasting better, I am not sure about that either. If I ever buy a bag of chips (rarely), we don't call them chips. We call them chemicals cause that's all it is. "Honey, I bought a bag of chemicals. Want some?" We are so used to not eating processed chemicals that the thought and taste of them is not very appealing, but once in a while you just like to fall off the wagon momentarily. I can make homemade chips without prepackaged sawdust seasonings that taste much better than even Zapps.

The idea that we are so conditioned to having chemical laced food has made us either forget or not care about eating the non chemical laced foods. It's on practically everything, even fresh fruits and veggies. Breaking that cycle is key to enjoying fresh, non chemical laced foods. I get grossed out passing by BK as they pump out the smells to the streets to entice customers. It doesn't make me wanna go in a get quadruple whatever burger. It makes me want to walk faster..........the other way.
Wait now, I know your mentality. You actually know about nutrition and care! I'm speaking about the majority here. How many actually care about macro nutrients or even look at that? Ppl have no concept of nutrition.

Ex. A woman at work is in great shape watches what she eats but has no concept of nutrition and she's pregnant. She eats like a bird. So we have pork roast cooked and yes it contains a bit of fat. After all, it's pork. She's scared to eat it because it contains fat! And god forbid, that'll make her fat. But the bread, potatoes and other foods high in carbs she's loading up on. I wanted to tell her, " you dumb *****! You won't get fat off of the pork! You're body NEEDS fat as that fat is actually healthy fat." I know many women who think if they cut the fat from foods they lose weight. What they don't understand is that you can't lose fat by deleting the fat intake from your body. Your muscles will actually be consumed before you lose the fat.

Anyway, nutrition has been put on the back burner here and ppl eat and indulge in what tastes good regardless of health or nutrition. You can teach it until you're blue in the face but when a person is stuffing their faces with junk, not much will change.

Salt would not do it.

Pretty much everything you eat has salt.

I am talking about substances no one would expect to be in something.

People expect all sorts of things to be in food: the main ingredients, preservatives, coloring agents, etc. No one expects a chemical designed to increase the addictive nature of salt, for instance.

I refuse to eat McNuggets now ever since I read they are made of silicone. The "Silly Putty" ingredient. Is that chemical enough?

I refuse to eat McNuggets now ever since I read they are made of silicone. The "Silly Putty" ingredient. Is that chemical enough?

Did you know coca cola uses their own product to clean their truck engines? That stuff is no good for you but how many gallons are consumed a month by the nation? There's chemicals in lots of things we consume. How do you know the organic veggies you buy don't contain pesticides? How do you really know? You don't.

Although not considered 'junk food,' I'm convinced that sushi has addictive additives in it. Maybe it's the wasabi...:scratch:
My wifey would strongly agree with this.

You'd think that instead of focusing on additives, they'd be lobbying like mad for the legalization of pot....

True,

However, its not very difficult for one to grow his/her own high quality smoke in their very own home/property. Thus, there is more money to be made prosecuting than there is to commercially sell it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom