What do you think about food deliberately made to be addictive? (1 Viewer)

Did you know coca cola uses their own product to clean their truck engines? That stuff is no good for you but how many gallons are consumed a month by the nation? There's chemicals in lots of things we consume. How do you know the organic veggies you buy don't contain pesticides? How do you really know? You don't.

Yep unless you grow it yourself you have no idea what is on them/in them.

Foods high in fat are addictive the same way cocaine is in the brain. Going to ban fat?

(Health.com) -- Scientists have finally confirmed what the rest of us have suspected for years: Bacon, cheesecake, and other delicious yet fattening foods may be addictive.
A new study in rats suggests that high-fat, high-calorie foods affect the brain in much the same way as cocaine and heroin. When rats consume these foods in great enough quantities, it leads to compulsive eating habits that resemble drug addiction, the study found.
Doing drugs such as cocaine and eating too much junk food both gradually overload the so-called pleasure centers in the brain, according to Paul J. Kenny, Ph.D., an associate professor of molecular therapeutics at the Scripps Research Institute, in Jupiter, Florida. Eventually the pleasure centers "crash," and achieving the same pleasure--or even just feeling normal--requires increasing amounts of the drug or food, says Kenny, the lead author of the study.

Fatty foods may cause cocaine-like addiction - CNN.com

Foods high in fat are addictive the same way cocaine is in the brain. Going to ban fat?

Fatty foods may cause cocaine-like addiction - CNN.com

I have read this, but I guess it is up to the individual person and their genetic disposition to addiction. I love bacon but it probably has been 4 months since I have had any.I also like cheesecake (sugar free) but it has been since Thanksgiving since I had a piece and it will probably be next Thanksgiving before I have another.

I do recognize though that people get addicted to food period not just fatty foods.....some people just love to eat. Can't remember what but something is not firing in the brain to tell the stomach it is full and they keep eating which can be a cause of that. That being said, there are things in foods that cause folks to become addicted to them.

hey trey..you nailed this one baby. but in the dog eat dog fast world and with a lot of mothers working to help pay the bills at home..they opt for the drive thru or pizza pie pick up.

eat well..life is short. and as my pap used too say.."everything in moderation"

while it's not cheaper to eat out it is a lot more convienent. It's extremely hard to work, take kids to practice or after school activities, come home, cook, do homework, etc. I understand why people do it but as you said "MODERATION" is the key. It's ok to indulge in stuff, just not every day. Until people can control their wants and focus on their needs instead there is no law or bill that will change anything. People have to WANT TO CHANGE and sadly it's not until something drastic happens to them or someone close to them that they realize it.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1N7pYLPI5bk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

self edit..also..i am a firm believer in smoking marijuana. it's so much better for relief of pain that all of the **** the dr's script you for. for the most part..i smoke two joints a day..and i am pain free..much better than eating pills every 4 hours that destroy and eat away at your stomach..kidneys and liver..

salute
youre not getting the right drugs. pot is a drug snack, pills are my main course

I agree that if the food manufacturers are intentionally manipulating the foods to be addictive and those same foods are found to be a health hazard then the food industry should be held to the same liability as the tobacco industry.

My opinion is that our Gov't watch dogs have let the food industry walk out on a very long leash for far too long. The substitute fillers and processing for shelf life has taken over every part of our food chain. Nothing is what it appears to be anymore. The body shapes of kids and adults over the last 15 years is all anyone should have to look at to see there has been manipulations.

The gov't has had a hand in creating a secondary food market for economic benefits. What was a food supply of natural products was split into a food supply of imitations and Natural products where the imitation is marketed as a price leader for mass consumption and the original Natural products are now marketed as a premium priced good. Nothing changed other than bringing in a lower quality product for the same price as the original product and without telling the consumers this was occuring.

What has happened to our food supply is no different than the take over of hard goods by cheap Chinese imports. By subtracting quality goods from the market we have been forced to accept inferior products at the same or higher costs. This amounts to nothing less than inflation but since people only associate inflation with the actual prices they fail to acknowledge it.

I agree that if the food manufacturers are intentionally manipulating the foods to be addictive and those same foods are found to be a health hazard then the food industry should be held to the same liability as the tobacco industry.

My opinion is that our Gov't watch dogs have let the food industry walk out on a very long leash for far too long. The substitute fillers and processing for shelf life has taken over every part of our food chain. Nothing is what it appears to be anymore. The body shapes of kids and adults over the last 15 years is all anyone should have to look at to see there has been manipulations.

The gov't has had a hand in creating a secondary food market for economic benefits. What was a food supply of natural products was split into a food supply of imitations and Natural products where the imitation is marketed as a price leader for mass consumption and the original Natural products are now marketed as a premium priced good. Nothing changed other than bringing in a lower quality product for the same price as the original product and without telling the consumers this was occuring.

What has happened to our food supply is no different than the take over of hard goods by cheap Chinese imports. By subtracting quality goods from the market we have been forced to accept inferior products at the same or higher costs. This amounts to nothing less than inflation but since people only associate inflation with the actual prices they fail to acknowledge it.

FWtex..you make some rock solid valid points..however i can have my sidekick go to the grocery store and purchase two avocado's,a bunch of bananas,a loaf of wheat bread and some fresh tuna fish..or i can have her spend the same amount of money and bring home a few cans of chef boyardee beefaroni, a couple jelly filled donuts,some prepacked processed bologna from oscar meyer and a frozen digornio pizza. the gov't isnt putting a gun to the consumer's head..bottom line is..we have become a lazy society.

FWtex..you make some rock solid valid points..however i can have my sidekick go to the grocery store and purchase two avocado's,a bunch of bananas,a loaf of wheat bread and some fresh tuna fish..or i can have her spend the same amount of money and bring home a few cans of chef boyardee beefaroni, a couple jelly filled donuts,some prepacked processed bologna from oscar meyer and a frozen digornio pizza. the gov't isnt putting a gun to the consumer's head..bottom line is..we have become a lazy society.

I hear what your saying and trust me I am not one to rely on the gov't to protect me. I just believe they should not be so quick to appease the corporations at their whim.

Now, regarding those Avocado's, banana's, wheat Bread, and Fresh Tuna ... those are all supposed to be better than the beefaroni, donuts and frozen pizza right? Well are you sure you are getting wheat bread and real tuna? What process were the avacodo and banana put through in order for it to maintain its fresh appearance on the store shelf?

There was an article I read just yesterday that went through a whole list of foods that are not what I or most people think they are buying. example: Honey. Are you aware that if you are buying honey off your gorocery store shelf it is not the natural honey that can be used for herbal recipes? in the processing of this honey they eliminated the pollen so it is no longer a health benefit. Tuna like all fish is often some other fish unless you buy it from a seafood shop. Orange Juice is not real Orange juice. They extract the nutritional benefits in the processing so the manufacturers can store the "juice" in large vats for over 1 year then when they are ready to package th juice they add back in flavoring.

And that stems from the government. Our government has pushed things towards us, allowed us or enabled us to become lazy. Society stems from the government. Free or under a dictatorship, it evolves from how it's treated. Our government is absolutely pathetic in EVERY aspect and has failed it's ppl miserably. But they're not finished yet. They haven't sucked the soul out of us yet but they're well on their way.

There was an article I read just yesterday that went through a whole list of foods that are not what I or most people think they are buying. example: Honey. Are you aware that if you are buying honey off your gorocery store shelf it is not the natural honey that can be used for herbal recipes? in the processing of this honey they eliminated the pollen so it is no longer a health benefit. Tuna like all fish is often some other fish unless you buy it from a seafood shop. Orange Juice is not real Orange juice. They extract the nutritional benefits in the processing so the manufacturers can store the "juice" in large vats for over 1 year then when they are ready to package th juice they add back in flavoring.

This is another of the problems, false advertising. While companies are supposed to label ingredients in the product, most consumers don't know what to look for or what's supposed to be in the product. I agree that the Gov't has allowed the food industry to get away with too much for far too long.

There are just way to many man made ingredients used in food products these days. Our bodies were designed to process natural things, not man made things. Even if the chemical composition is almost identical, you body knows the difference. You body is designed to process sugar, not aspartame, saccharine, sucralose, cyclamate, High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS), and many others. Even though these man made sweetners are designed to taste like sugar your body processes them differently and the chemical reactions going on inside you body produce Free Radicals and other toxins that lead to Cancer and other ailments.

Our government has pushed things towards us, allowed us or enabled us to become lazy.

I would go further and say they forced us to become lazy. A prime example is how everyone is treated after a natural disaster such as a hurricane now. In the past after a hurrican passed you wuld walk outside, clean up the mess and go on with your life. Now the gov't tells you to leave and will not let you back in till they clean up and tell you it is Ok for you to return.

This is all about building the mindset that the gov't knows better than you.

Hate to say it, people are uneducated and lazy overall which results in obesity but some of the blame is on food labels trying to pass off food that is healthy when in reality its not.

When you start reading labels of food, your eyes will open and you will ask how come food companies are allowed to get away with this?

Case in point: Wheat breads that call themselves "healthy" but when reading the label, it has HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP" or other syrup/sugars in them. Real wheat bread does not contain that.

Americans are largely obese because most of them do nothing but go to work, eat, sleep. Most americans use the excuse "Well, I worked all day" and they find themselves in the line at McDonalds, Burgerking(Insert fastfood chain here) when they could go to other places.

Example, the Burger King down on Metairie road, I walk past it a whole lot, less than 50 yards away, a subway exists, then there is a Naked Pizza then Zoe's Kitchen. Burger King is always packed, Naked Pizza has a steady flow, Zoe's Kitchen is packed, Subway might have 2-3 people tops. Subway can be infinitely more healthy than all three of those options yet its always the least packed place, all the time and can be just as tasty as anywhere else.

If you want to talk about Pizza, lets take a regular, handtossed, pepperoni, large 14inch Pizza from Domino's. 1 slice is 300 calories, per slice. The large Pizza has 8 slices in total, 2400 calories out of 3500 needed to gain 1LB.

Who eats just 1 slice of Pizza? I would say the average would be 3-4 slices, depending on how hungry, thats 900-1200 calorie dinner, the more toppings you add to it, the more the calories rise, if you go deepdish, the calories rise.

Now lets talk about Burger King, According to the Burger King website, a small double whopper meal with fries, small coke, contains.

1360 calories.
46g of protein
157g of Carbs
64g of Sugar
65g of fat
19.5g of S.fat
1g of T.fat
120mg Cholesterol
1520mg Sodium

1 tbl spoon of regular Mayo = 90 calories, so you can inflate this even more if they mayo bomb you, which most fastfood joints do.

If I large the same meal listed.

1710 calories.
47g of protein
180g of Carbs
64g of Sugar
72g of fat
20.5g of S.fat
1g of T.fat
120mg Cholesterol
1760mg Sodium

Lets take the myth that chicken sandwiches at fastfood chains are healthy.

Burger King, TenderCrisp, Chicken Sandwich.(Small)

1280 calories.
34g of protein
158g of Carbs
59g of Sugar
60g of fat
10.5g of S.fat
0.5g of T.fat
70mg Cholesterol
2040mg Sodium

Burger King, TenderCrisp, Chicken Sandwich.(Large)

1630 calories.
35g of protein
181g of Carbs
59g of Sugar
67g of fat
11.5g of S.fat
0.5g of T.fat
70mg Cholesterol
2280mg Sodium

If you're smart at a place like Subway, you can get a footlong sub for around 620-700 calories(some subs are pretty bad though). I get the Subway Club, a 12 inch sub is 620 calories, I don't eat mayo so that doesn't inflate much. If you add a regular soda, you can add about 140-200 calories more.

This is why you must be careful @ Subway

Footlong, if you go with six inch sub, you can cut these calories by half.

Bacon, chicken, ranch melt(with cheese) 1040 calories.
Steak and cheese melt, 1000 calories.
Big Philly Chese Steak, 1000 calories.

Of course people stay clear of Subway because you have to actually walk in there to get your sandwich made rather than a drive thru.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom