What do you think about food deliberately made to be addictive? (1 Viewer)

No, I don't think that's why it is addictive. That's why most of the population has access to it. That's perhaps why more expensive alternatives may not be as appealing to such large numbers.

There's a difference between market-based behavior based on cost and actual physiological brain behavior that is deliberately manipulated by the food manufacturer to make the brain want to eat more.

Those aren't the same thing at all - so when we know they're doing that and paying a lot of money in labs to achieve those flavors, I don't think it's correct at all to say "well as long as this food is cheap, it will be addictive."

Well whatever Blue Bell did to their ice cream to make it so damn good is fine by me. I'm more than ok with that addiction.

Now if Mickey D's puts something in that junk they call chicken nuggets, that is a different story. Someone should be jailed for such an offense.

Case in point: Wheat breads that call themselves "healthy" but when reading the label, it has HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP" or other syrup/sugars in them. Real wheat bread does not contain that.

I gave you a greenie, but I am a bit perplexed that you would use Subway as the "healthy" alternative. Those processed meats don't process themselves in healthy nutrients. I would have to wager that the bread is also laced with fake sugars. GMO'd veggies to boot too (prolly).

They throw around the word "fresh" in their ads all the time and for the life of me the only thing that I can think of as fresh is the fresh baked bread (which has been flash frozen for who know's how long).

Speaking of real. How bout Real®? Be careful.

Typically a good rule of thumb when purchasing food products at the grocery store are

1) The less ingredients the better
2) If you can't pronounce more than 2-3 ingredients, leave it on the shelf
3) If it's processed white (bread, rice, etc) it's been stripped of most of the nutritional value. Can get confusing as some colored foods are just white but with coloring added.
4) When something is labeled Fat Free, Low/Zero Carbs, Reduced what ever. Compare that product to the original, see what ingredients were added/removed to make this claim. Check the Calorie, Fat, Carb, Sugar, and Protein amounts to see if your sacrificing one thing for lesser of the other. MOST IMPORTANTLY CHECK SERVING AMOUNTS AND SIZE, as this is sometimes manipulated to make certain claims. If they make the serving size smaller and the % of something is low enough then they can claim it to be something it's not.

there are many others out there but to me these are the main ones.

Just eat meat,fruit,veggies, wheat bread and EHS and you'll be safe. Hell, grow and raise a farm & garden and no worries. ;)

I refuse to eat McNuggets now ever since I read they are made of silicone. The "Silly Putty" ingredient. Is that chemical enough?

Come on now. Meat glue is one of my favorite ingredients to play with in the kitchen.

Just eat meat,fruit,veggies, wheat bread and EHS and you'll be safe. Hell, grow and raise a farm & garden and no worries. ;)

Extremely Healthy Snacks?
Egg/Ham Sandwiches?
Externally Harvested Saliva?
Eagerly Hatched Snakes?
Ecologically Harmful Substances?

Mayor Bloomberg's efforts to control consumption of certain products (like sugary drinks) that he believes contributed to America's obesity problem raises some important questions about how to balance the daily liberties we all expect in America against a widespread problem that implicates a range of important issues such as healthcare costs, performance in schools, and the quality of the labor force.

But what do we do when we know that these products (soft drinks, junk food, fast food) actually pay a lot of money as they forever chase in their laboratories the optimum formula that capitalizes on how our brains react to flavor and ingredients with the goal of making food addictive?

In other words, in the interest of corporate profits (there is no other legitimate interest at play here), these manufacturers are selling chemically manipulated products that make it harder for consumers to stop consuming them once they have started. This only adds to the will-power required for consumers to break the cycle and stop eating these damaging and unhealthy foods - especially when consumed in large quantities, which is exactly what the labs are trying to encourage.

A recent investigative piece in the New York Times (lengthy article cited below) sheds light on this idea and I think it's something we really need to consider. After all, what ultimately took down the tobacco companies' in litigation was their knowledge and concealment of the addictive nature of nicotine (and the efforts they made to increase this addictiveness). Well, manufacturers of junk food are doing to same thing . . . often admitting it.

The real challenge for us, IMO, is how to address intersection between expected business behavior in the free marketplace and legitimate public health concerns that may require consumers to overcome high-tech science designed to defeat their will power. So what do you think?

From the article, this idea of "bliss point" is just one example of how the flavor of most manufactured food is studied and manipulated by chemical formula to make a product that triggers consumption without triggering the brain's natural response to stop eating:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/24/m...cience-of-junk-food.html?pagewanted=all&_r=1&

Racism, sexism, homophobia, and a lack of belief in Climate Change is behind it all. It is so obvious. Why can't anyone see it. If we could just start the discussion it would become clear to all.

wizard..For the longest time i found it very,very difficult to eat greens,with the exception of peas. It's amazing how balsamic vinegar can really perk up the taste of a plain raw vegetable. I'm not sure if a avocado is classified as a fruit or vegetable..regardless,we never bought them because they don't look appealing to the eye..a friend of mine added them to a summer salad last year..i've been turned on to those ever since..i''ll split them open and literally just eat them as is ..spoonful after spoonfull. They are very good for your liver..

wizard..For the longest time i found it very,very difficult to eat greens,with the exception of peas. It's amazing how balsamic vinegar can really perk up the taste of a plain raw vegetable. I'm not sure if a avocado is classified as a fruit or vegetable..regardless,we never bought them because they don't look appealing to the eye..a friend of mine added them to a summer salad last year..i've been turned on to those ever since..i''ll split them open and literally just eat them as is ..spoonful after spoonfull. They are very good for your liver..

Dude! Avocados are extremely heathly fat! You're not supposed to eat them as a whole but that stuff tastes amazing. Like eating plant butter lol. We cut em put a little salt & black pepper mixed with tomatoes cucumbers or on a salad as well. It's hard to eat recommended serving which amounts to a teaspoon or sliver of it when it tastes that good.

Flax sees oil is another good fat like omega-3 I put in oatmeal just a teaspoon at most. Def not tasteful as its like fish oil basically but it's heathly and it'll give you energy believe it or not.

Dude! Avocados are extremely heathly fat! You're not supposed to eat them as a whole but that stuff tastes amazing. Like eating plant butter lol. We cut em put a little salt & black pepper mixed with tomatoes cucumbers or on a salad as well. It's hard to eat recommended serving which amounts to a teaspoon or sliver of it when it tastes that good.

Flax sees oil is another good fat like omega-3 I put in oatmeal just a teaspoon at most. Def not tasteful as its like fish oil basically but it's heathly and it'll give you energy believe it or not.

wizard..why is it not good to eat them as a whole? Also..i did a little research on Mc Nuggets..you fellas might find this interesting. They use something called autolyzed yeast extract..a MSG addictive ingredient.
The Healthy Boy: Whats Really In A McDonalds Chicken Nugget?

I usually avoid fast food, esp McDonalds. I will have the occasional Bud's Broiler or Popeyes spicy strips....

But as a whole McDonald's sucks....and I don't know who's really loving it.....

If you're smart at a place like Subway, you can get a footlong sub for around 620-700 calories(some subs are pretty bad though). I get the Subway Club, a 12 inch sub is 620 calories, I don't eat mayo so that doesn't inflate much. If you add a regular soda, you can add about 140-200 calories more.

This is why you must be careful @ Subway

Footlong, if you go with six inch sub, you can cut these calories by half.

Bacon, chicken, ranch melt(with cheese) 1040 calories.
Steak and cheese melt, 1000 calories.
Big Philly Chese Steak, 1000 calories.

This is another con game. Why do you need a foot long sandwhich when you really only need one of their Deli bun sandwhiches for all your nutritional needs. Anything more than the size of your fist is over eating but I do it at times myself.

The reason you need the larger sandwhich is because the processed food does not have the natural triggers in it that tell you you are full and to stop eating. The reason why they sell the larger sandwhich sizes and the super sizes is because that additional revenue goes straight to their bottom line. You would not be happy paying $7 for the deli size sandwhich and they would not stay in business selling that sandwhich for $3.50 or whatever it is now.

Most restraunts could cut their portion sized in half and still be over feeding customers if the customers would adapt to eating smaller portions. In the US big is better and that carries over to portion sizes.

It is hard to get started in eating smaller portions but if you stay with it for a week your body adapts and your eyes start adusting to what should be an acceptable portion. Problem is that this works for me for a few months then I fall back into the large portion trap and have to motivate myself to restart.

Eating anything more than the size of your fist

once dated a girl who could do that... sort of her parlor trick

but yea, it was unnecessary. With me, anyway.

wizard..why is it not good to eat them as a whole? Also..i did a little research on Mc Nuggets..you fellas might find this interesting. They use something called autolyzed yeast extract..a MSG addictive ingredient.
The Healthy Boy: Whats Really In A McDonalds Chicken Nugget?

The reason it's not good to eat as a whole is because you're taking in too much fat. Taking in that much, you're going to store it rather than use it as energy. If you're trying to stay fit or lose fat, you'd be going about it the wrong way. You have to spread your intake out. Nutrition is tricky depending on what you want to do. You can actually build muscle and lose fat at the same time. You have to tremendously dial in on your macro nutrients there. I've not gotten that far in depth. Basically if you're looking to gain muscle or weight, you want 40% protein, 40% carbs 20% fat. If you're looking for weight loss you want about 50-60% protein 25-30% carbs and 10-20% fat. 50% nutrition, 25% exercise and 25% sleep is what you want to achieve for complete health. I'm not a health nut nor a nutritionist, but I've studied it quite a bit working out to achieve certain results.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom