What do you think cost us the game? (1 Viewer)

What was the primary reason we lost?

• The Refs

Votes: 42 34.1%
  • The Defense

Votes: 81 65.9%

• Total voters
Lack of a run game

Ingram had 12-58 (4.8 avg) yet gets less than half the snaps.

I don't know why Cadet even sees the field since Ingram has also shown what he can do receiving.

Remember the thread that called out the Panthers fans for blaming their loss on the refs? Good times.

nobody likes rational guy on crazy thread.

that being said... the super rookie run killed us as much as those last 2 BS calls.

nobody likes rational guy on crazy thread.

that being said... the super rookie run killed us as much as those last 2 BS calls.

Look, I get that blaming the refs is the easy out and that fans that do so regulary, are annoying. I wish I wasn't having to blame the refs for us losing to Oakland, but that is what happened. I'm still mad about it and probably will be for awhile. Look at our history under SP and how many times we've made the playoffs, when we started 0-1 vs when we started 1-0. Game one has historically been a good indicator of how the season will turn out, atleast since SP arrived. This game was crucial and I feel like we got robbed.

Yes, there were several factors that led to the loss. Bad clock management, injuries, abandoning the run game and the absymal pass rush were all real issues that must be addressed, if we even want to have a shot, at competing for the postseason. I saw all of that, yet I still stand by my original post. In the most technical and literal sense, that PI call on 4th down is what lost us the game. Thats all I'm saying. The PI call earlier in the drive was also a joke and had they not called it, we could have possibly sealed up the win earlier. There were several other horrible calls against us, like the intentional grounding call against Drew when the Raiders defender pretty much tackled Cadet as he was setting up for a screen pass. They tackled Cadet before we could even throw him the ball and we get flagged. That was another blatant and ignorant call, but it didn't cost us the game. There were multiple holds committed by Oakland on their long run for a TD that weren't called, but that didn't lose us the game. Shoot, they flagged the Raiders alot as well, but their penalties didn't affect the outcome of the game like ours did. In the most literal sense, the PI call on Craig Robertson was the moment that victory was taken from us. There was no pass interference committed and we made the game winning stop on that play. They threw a flag anyways and the rest is history. Too many times, a game has been decided by one play and yesterday is a prime example. Yes, our bad defense put us in the position to lose, so they deserve some blame. Nevertheless, they only needed to make one stop and they did. Sadly, it doesnt matter now. Were 0-1 and we lost Breaux for half the season. :jpshakehead:

My order of the top 5 reasons we lost that game:

1. Wasting timeouts (if we had just one left IMO we win the game if we get Lutz inside the 30)
2. 75 yard run (killed our momentum and just demoralized us, defense wasn't the same after)
3. Breaux getting injured (HUGE! Crawley got picked apart by a vet receiver)
4. Refs (that call was horrible, but it shouldn't of even cam down to that)
5. Lutz (simple if he makes that 50 yarder we win)

This is the most unnecessary poll I have ever seen here (SSF not EE or PDB).

It was the defense.

For me, the momentum was lost on Coby Fleeners missed 3rd down conversion that hit him in the hands. I believe the subsequent play was the missed 50yd FG. Game changer.

Like I said in my OP, I know blaming the refs is an easy out and a lot of fans like to blame the refs when their team loses, but I'm not that kind of fan. I usually don't dwell on a regular season loss for long, I just accept it and move on. This is the one exception for me. Those calls were so blatantly wrong and intentional, that I can't ignore it. Even if Robertson didn't turn his head around, the refs can't call PI for an uncatchable pass. If it's pathetic to call out the refs for deciding the outcome of the game, then so be it. I'm surprised more people aren't vocally angry about it.

Another contributing factor that led to the loss, sure. The primary reason we lost? Nah, I don't think so.

This is pretty much the way I feel as well. My biggest gripe was why didn't the officials huddle and make sure everyone was on the
same page? The better crews throughout the league do this all the time.

I read an interesting stat aa few days ago. The average margin of victory in week 1 was 5.4 points. Nail biters are far more common
than blowouts. it also shows how one bad call can and does determine the outcome of a game. It just isn't the Saints. It's a league wide problem.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom