What do you think of the 16oz soda limit in NYC? (1 Viewer)

wizard1183

Very Banned
Reaction score
And the problem is? I think it's good. Most ppl who eat fast food drink soda and then you have those that have to drink a gallon of the crap. It's a start to bring down obesity. Sure, you can still get 2 liter bottles but question: who drinks 1liter of a 2liter bottle in one sitting? .001% of the population? Now who drinks 1liter in 1 sitting because it came in a cup with a straw?

Sandman

Trustworthy
Staff member
Administrator
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
And the problem is?
The government telling you how you will live your life. Just because it is "good for you" doesn't mean that the government should force you to do it. The road to Hell and all that.

Jeff Miller

Shaw 1988, NYIT 2009
Reaction score
People are completely missing the point.

the Mayor of New York doesn't give a rats *** if you drink yourself to obesity or now. this a sales tax increase by increasing the number of items applied to the tax.

think about it. if a 2 litter is $2, 10% sales tax is 20 cents. If a one litter is $1.50, then the sales tax on 2 one litters is 30 cents.

Saintree River

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I'm tired of govt imposing its will on the people by trying to control what they can put into their bodies. Drugs, euthanasia and anything else that doesn't hurt others should be out of the control of the govt. Meanwhile it is perfectly fine for people to have guns which do hurt other people. This country's priorities are way outta whack.

I really do fear for the country because of the millennial generation. They seem content to let the government machine grow to a size that it cannot be controlled by the people.

superchuck500

guarding the potatoes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
And the problem is? I think it's good. Most ppl who eat fast food drink soda and then you have those that have to drink a gallon of the crap. It's a start to bring down obesity. Sure, you can still get 2 liter bottles but question: who drinks 1liter of a 2liter bottle in one sitting? .001% of the population? Now who drinks 1liter in 1 sitting because it came in a cup with a straw?
You're presuming that an order of pizza goes to one person?

What about the family - or the ball team - or the church group - or the meeting . . . where they decide to order some pizzas and 2 liter? It's a very common thing in America.

You can't do that anymore in NYC.

Firecross

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
Time for people in NYC to invest in a Soda Stream. I have one, I love it. Soda Stream made Mi0 Energy very interesting to say the least. Now I need to just find a local place in the Metairie area that sells small quantities of dry ice so I can refill my c02 tank, instead of spending 15$ @ Walmart.

cdogg

THE WOOD WAS BROUGHT
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
But yet it's proven that fat people drink the most diet soda, and correlations show the more diet drinks you drink, the more likely you are to be obese, but those are still ok.

TenTwo

Are you touched in the head or something?
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
But yet it's proven that fat people drink the most diet soda, and correlations show the more diet drinks you drink, the more likely you are to be obese, but those are still ok.
Because no one would ever drink that crap unless they were already fat?? :idunno:

bclemms

More than 15K posts served!
Reaction score
I bet if NYC proposed a bill that wouldn't allow soda to be purchased with food stamps the same people that were behind the 16oz limit would oppose it.

efil4stnias

one lonely Beastie i be...
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
You're presuming that an order of pizza goes to one person?

What about the family - or the ball team - or the church group - or the meeting . . . where they decide to order some pizzas and 2 liter? It's a very common thing in America.

You can't do that anymore in NYC.
drink Diet Pepsi or Pepsi Zero ( since thats all dem northerners drink anyhoo. - Pepsi. ick )

Im pretty sure the 2 liter wasnt the main reason they called "xyz" pizza for a pie.

superchuck500

guarding the potatoes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
drink Diet Pepsi or Pepsi Zero ( since thats all dem northerners drink anyhoo. - Pepsi. ick )

Im pretty sure the 2 liter wasnt the main reason they called "xyz" pizza for a pie.
I get your point about the practical impact - but it only highlights the sheer absurdity of the rule.

But it doesn't matter what the main reason was . . . people want a beverage with their meal. Are you going to still go to the restaurant if they tell you can't have anything to drink?

Trey W.

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
There are better ways of dealing with obesity than banning sodas. How about some education, enforcing the FDA to require companies to stop using false labeling, stop all these commercials for bogus weight loss claims, etc.

I hate reality shows but the only one I do watch is "The Biggest Loser" and this season they brought 3 kids on show to educate kids on how to eat and exercise. I know we've had P.E. in school for years but due to budget cuts it's always the first one to down grade. If the gov't truly wants to end or slow down Obesity this is where it starts, with kids not once you've hit the 300lbs mark.

False advertising is also a key factor. Companies can manipulate their serving sizes to make certain claims like Fat Free, or Low/No Carbs, etc. Also, a lot of companies trick people who don't really know how to read the nutrition charts on the package by making the serving size smaller. Like a 16oz coke bottle is listed as 2 1/2 servings or a small bag of chips being 2-3 servings, who really thinks of these things as less than one serving if they don't know how to read the label.

All the false weight loss promotions on t.v. are getting rediculous. Why can't the gov't regulate all these false claims before they are allowed to advertise this stuff? What ever happened to accountability?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom