What do you think of the 16oz soda limit in NYC? (1 Viewer)

And the problem is? I think it's good. Most ppl who eat fast food drink soda and then you have those that have to drink a gallon of the crap. It's a start to bring down obesity. Sure, you can still get 2 liter bottles but question: who drinks 1liter of a 2liter bottle in one sitting? .001% of the population? Now who drinks 1liter in 1 sitting because it came in a cup with a straw?

Hmmm....

Rebuttal question: Do you think that, simply because of this law, NYC will see any meaningful drop in the obesity rate?

Just saying...

Okay, but do you think that graphic debunks the statement, "Meanwhile it is perfectly fine for people to have guns which do hurt other people," when it shows over 11,000 homicides committed with guns, even if the number of suicides is higher?

And that's why America has more scientists! [/tongueincheek]

Seriously though, my wife's first grade class averages 48 minutes of recess/exercise per day during school hours. School lets out at something like 3:00 or 3:30. Are you saying there aren't enough hours remaining in the day for kids to get the requisite exercise on their own with or without after-school activities like Taekwondo or Tumblebus?

I think he's saying that there are benefits to an institutional approach to educating and giving practical considerations to actual health education at a young age. Why shouldn't good health be taught like any other subject? Is it less important? Just because there is time left in the day doesn't mean kids will get the excercise/education they need.

Hmmm....

Rebuttal question: Do you think that, simply because of this law, NYC will see any meaningful drop in the obesity rate?

I'm not sure if anyone believes this, even the mayor. But it gets people talking about the best way to reduce obesity, whether that's through education, governement intervention, etc. Not much will happen until a lot of folks want it to happen. It seems absurd to have to pass this law but here we are talking about the issue.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Breaking: A state judge halted New York City's limits on the sales of large sugary drinks, saying they aren't legal. <a href="http://t.co/tYCeEMbkhK" title="http://wsj.com">wsj.com</a></p>&mdash; Wall Street Journal (@WSJ) <a href="https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/311194742409019392">March 11, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

:9:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Breaking: A state judge halted New York City's limits on the sales of large sugary drinks, saying they aren't legal. <a href="http://t.co/tYCeEMbkhK" title="http://wsj.com">wsj.com</a></p>&mdash; Wall Street Journal (@WSJ) <a href="https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/311194742409019392">March 11, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

:9:

there ya go...

fret not those who consume copious amounts of soda in one sitting. :ezbill:

This a million times over!!!

on another note, whoever makes the paper cups at convenience stores must be overjoyed by the news... I dont know about others but if I wanted a soda for the road I would probably just buy 2 16 OZ cups.

Oh and I fully expect this will not go into effect tomorrow, the lawsuit will at the very least delay the start.

I agree. In todays information age where just about everyone has info at their fingertips, there is no excuse to say "I didn't know (soda, McDonalds, doughnuts, cigarettes, skoal, and millions of other things) were bad for me." Every talk show has Health segments or episodes. Most people that are obese are there because of reasons like slow metabolism (small percentage), addiction (the way they were brought up), depression/lonliness, convience, or just scared of change (because change is hard). For the majority the people that are obese are because they don't want to change, or don't want to put the effort into changing. People need to understand you body is like a car, you put crappy gas (fast food, candy, junk food) in you'll get crappy performance (laziness) but if you put some fuel system cleaner (exercise) and high octane gas (good foods) in you'll get great performance. The Gov't or who ever is passing bills to stop the sale of large drinks won't do crap. There are just too many ways around this for it to ever be effective. They can just get a 16oz cup of ice and a 6pack, 2 liter, 1 liter, 20oz bottle, etc and simply pour it into the cup.

Education is the key if the Gov't truly wants to do something. Eating healthy is difficult when there are so many options, and false labels make some things sound healthy when they really aren't. Like something thats Fat Free but it has 40grams of sugar, or Zero Carbs but it has 15g Trans Fat.

Also, I live in West Monroe which for those that don't know is North Central Louisiana. It's not a big town and we don't have a lot of health options. I'm always jealous when I go visit my family in New Orleans or Houston at how many gyms, health food stores, or just the variety of selections they have at their local grocery stores that no ones even heard of here. One of my sisters loves to run and play soccer, she plays in soccer leagues, does marathons, and all kinds of events in Houston. I can't even get 6-8 guys together here to play some football.

But yet it's proven that fat people drink the most diet soda, and correlations show the more diet drinks you drink, the more likely you are to be obese, but those are still ok.

It is also shown that long distance runners are prone to joint damage and often need premature hip and knee replacements. It is an indisputable fact that, for most people, the most dangerous activity they do is drive a car. Drinking alcohol is far more dangerous than drinking a coke. Are we ready for Prohibition again? After all, no clear thinking person could deny that alcohol consumption is a bad thing, especially considering its abuse potential. At what point do we say enough is enough?

back in TX, my wife's first graders got about 15-20 minutes per day of exercise, during the recess/lunch period.

But they made sure to get in worksheets for the standardized test that they'd be taking in third grade.

Here in Toronto, the kids get anywhere from 60-75 minutes per day across three recesses - morning, after lunch, and afternoon, in addition to the physical education component (which isn't enough, imo, the way it's structured but at least they have a lot of recess)

It honestly kills me how little time the kids have for recess. When I was a kid all of the guys choked down lunch as quick as possible so we could go play. It was either football, softball or volleyball every day at lunch.

Consumer as in the end user or retailer? I dont enjoy any ecomomies of scale at any restaurant. Ever. Unless my beverage is free.

Now, you could argue that for like a 7-11, where a 16 oz fountain soda is $.79 and the BIG GULP is $1.19. But even then, are you really enjoying 44 oz of soda, that if you put ice in, will in fact, be watered down after 15 min?

You've never ordered a pitcher of beer or soda before?

Certainly, the family ordering pizza and a 2 liter is going to save money over having to order four 16 oz drinks.

(This is a silly argument to keep up btw - you're right, but I kinda am too.)

I bet if NYC proposed a bill that wouldn't allow soda to be purchased with food stamps the same people that were behind the 16oz limit would oppose it.

I bet you are wrong.

Since someone had to throw in gun deaths for some reason, I'll trump it with this from the American Diabetes Association. Diabetes is a huge problem in America and due to sodas, fast food, and junk food. People don't truly understand what this stuff does to their bodies until it's too late. And this is only one complication, there are hundreds of other diseases and such that come with poor diets and no/or not enough exercise.

Diabetes Statistics - American Diabetes Association

Morbidity and Mortality
In 2007, diabetes was listed as the underlying cause on 71,382 death certificates and was listed as a contributing factor on an additional 160,022 death certificates. This means that diabetes contributed to a total of 231,404 deaths.
Complications
Heart disease and stroke

In 2004, heart disease was noted on 68% of diabetes-related death certificates among people aged 65 years or older.
In 2004, stroke was noted on 16% of diabetes-related death certificates among people aged 65 years or older.
Adults with diabetes have heart disease death rates about 2 to 4 times higher than adults without diabetes.
The risk for stroke is 2 to 4 times higher among people with diabetes.
High blood pressure

In 2005-2008, of adults aged 20 years or older with self-reported diabetes, 67% had blood pressure greater than or equal to 140/90 mmHg or used prescription medications for hypertension.
Blindness

Diabetes is the leading cause of new cases of blindness among adults aged 20&#8211;74 years.
In 2005-2008, 4.2 million (28.5%) people with diabetes aged 40 years or older had diabetic retinopathy, and of these, almost 0.7 million (4.4% of those with diabetes) had advanced diabetic retinopathy that could lead to severe vision loss.
Kidney disease

Diabetes is the leading cause of kidney failure, accounting for 44% of new cases in 2008.
In 2008, 48,374 people with diabetes began treatment for end-stage kidney disease in the United States.
In 2008, a total of 202,290 people with end-stage kidney disease due to diabetes were living on chronic dialysis or with a kidney transplant in the United States.
Nervous system disease (Neuropathy)

About 60% to 70% of people with diabetes have mild to severe forms of nervous system damage.
Amputation

More than 60% of nontraumatic lower-limb amputations occur in people with diabetes.
In 2006, about 65,700 nontraumatic lower-limb amputations were performed in people with diabetes.
Cost of Diabetes
Updated March 6, 2013

$245 billion: Total costs of diagnosed diabetes in the United States in 2012
$176 billion for direct medical costs
$69 billion in reduced productivity
After adjusting for population age and sex differences, average medical expenditures among people with diagnosed diabetes were 2.3 times higher than what expenditures would be in the absence of diabetes.

Factoring in the additional costs of undiagnosed diabetes, prediabetes, and gestational diabetes brings the total cost of diabetes in the United States in 2007 to $218 billion.

$18 billion for people with undiagnosed diabetes
$25 billion for American adults with prediabetes
$623 million for gestational diabetes

I know people who have diabetes - and they keep on eating and drinking this sweet stuff.

Type 2 diabetes is largely an addictive disease - addicted to the sweet stuff. If they do not stop after having the disease then the government certainly isn't going to get people to stop.

You've never ordered a pitcher of beer or soda before?

Certainly, the family ordering pizza and a 2 liter is going to save money over having to order four 16 oz drinks.

(This is a silly argument to keep up btw - you're right, but I kinda am too.)

I can tell you exactly when.

1992...TJ Quills, $1.00 pitcher nite.

lol. I walked home. :ezbill:

it is silly. but ive been known to seek out and carry on with silly arguments because, well, they are silly. ( I hope the wife doesnt read this lol )

And ManU blew it Sunday so im still a bit agitated

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom