What do you think will be the biggest impact from the 17-game season this year? (1 Viewer)

perret318

Runnin like a road lizard
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sticky Post
In general, obviously I think we'll see some (at least slightly) more banged-up teams in the playoffs. Specifically for the Saints, I'm concerned with the amount of talent we jettisoned in the off-season, because depth is going to be even more important this year.

Going to be interesting.

Reaction score
Don't they have that problem now with the stupid Europe games?
For me as European this has actually been a really great thing before the covid times.

But no, there were not nearly as much games in Europe as there are caused by another whole week (meaning 16 games).
And overall the London games have been more something like neutral ground for both teams.

RiverRat

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
I’m not a huge fan of it, but if I’m trying to find some positives:

- having an odd number of games should lead to less playoff berths being decided by tiebreakers.

- more revenue for the league should translate into larger a salary cap. (However, if I’m a player I am now petitioning for more money. That’s a lot of extra work of I’m not getting a raise.)

- expanded rosters should be an easier sell to manage health, but we all know owners don’t care about players.

- who gets the extra home game? Or is the idea to have every team play at a neutral site for 1 game? I think this could be cool, but the traveling logistics need to be heavily considered. Having game in a city without a franchise could help grow the league’s popularity. Somewhere like Oklahoma could be cool.

- mathematically, it should be easy to schedule no teams on a short week, but I highly doubt that happens. If the season gets extend, I’d almost rather go to 18 weeks and give 2 bye weeks.

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
- who gets the extra home game? Or is the idea to have every team play at a neutral site for 1 game? I think this could be cool, but the traveling logistics need to be heavily considered. Having game in a city without a franchise could help grow the league’s popularity. Somewhere like Oklahoma could be cool.
if i remember correctly, the home team alternates conferences every year (this year AFC i believe)

the-commish

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
16 opponents are already determined by he rotational out of conference division... the rotational in-conference division... the two teams in non-playing in-conference divisions with the same relative finishing positions the previous seasons... and of course the 6 intra-division games. I wonder how the 17th team will be determined, and will it be fair to all teams?

Groovepro

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Washington, La. (but touring nationally mostly)
On the negative, I see us having OL and RB injuries, but our backs, even off the bench seem to always produce...it looks like we have some decent depth at RB and some depth for players to swing if need on OL.

On a positive, if injuries are not an issue, it allows the shortened preseason to basically have the beginning of the season an extension of the preseason to get things together and have a chance to be strong with consistency (on paper...lol) at the end of the season. That one preseason game can sometimes be the gel that sets up the regular season as you truly play the projected starters and look for roster positioning, saving the last preseason as a mop up for looks at players not seen in much action (although it does give greater scare of injuries).

Taker597

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Cowboy perfect 26 years of exactly 0.500 comes to an end.

Treybad

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
ticket prices get higher and higher now

Taker597

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I don't understand why we didn't get a 2nd bye with the extra game.

RaginCajun83

Saints/Wrestling Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
1000 yards rushing is even easier to obtain now, just have to average 60 yards a game

Merl

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
16 opponents are already determined by he rotational out of conference division... the rotational in-conference division... the two teams in non-playing in-conference divisions with the same relative finishing positions the previous seasons... and of course the 6 intra-division games. I wonder how the 17th team will be determined, and will it be fair to all teams?
The 17th game will be a 3rd schedule strength game pitting teams against a team from the other conference division that they aren't scheduled to play. for 2021 the Saints will play the Titans since both were a 1st place teams. with the Titans being the home team. Next year the Saints will play the same place team from I believe the AFC West with the Saints being the home team. in 2022 it will be against the AFC North and 2023 against the AFC East.

Reaction score
Curious about the numbers I found this:

According to that study, players have about a 4.1% chance to be injured per game. Surprisingly snap count isn't a large factor. The average injury length is about 3.1 games.

Based on our roster stats here:

We averaged 47.3 players seeing the field per game last year.

So you are looking at about 2 more injuries per season (1.94) across the roster.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom