What do you use to shave? (1 Viewer)

coldseat

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The Wall Street Journel said:
Jeff Hagan, a 43-year-old investment banker in San Francisco, doesn't need to buy another blade or razor for the next four years.

That's because last year, tired of trying to keep up with the cycle of shaving-system upgrades and price hikes, Mr. Hagan bought 100 Gillette Mach3 blades. Then he found oil that helps double the blades' lifespan.

"I'm basically investing in blade futures," Mr. Hagan remembers telling onlookers at Costco as they marveled at the pile of cartridges in his cart. "That's my hedge against getting forced to upgrade."

link

I use disposable Gillette "Mach 3". They come in a 3-pack for about $7.50. They last a decent amount of time, but I have to admit that every time I buy them I think, "Damn, that's a lot for disposable razors". I would try something different as long as it was cheaper and wouldn't cut me. BTW, I totally agree with this article, the price of razors now a days is ridicules.

So, what do you use?

I still use the atra, as long as I can find blades.

I've got a braun electric that has about pooped the bed, so more often than not I go with cheapo disposable twin blades (couple bucks for 10) When I want a close shave (steppin' out, bar mitzvah, whatever) I go with the quattro. Doing it this way, I get a far longer lifespan out of blades that run in the neighborhood of $9/4 blades.

I've got a braun electric that has about pooped the bed, so more often than not I go with cheapo disposable twin blades (couple bucks for 10) When I want a close shave (steppin' out, bar mitzvah, whatever) I go with the quattro. Doing it this way, I get a far longer lifespan out of blades that run in the neighborhood of $9/4 blades.

I've tried the cheap disposables to see if I can get a longer life out of the good blades, sort of what you described, but I've cut myself more than a few times with them. They just get caught up on my face. Sucks.

i use the Fusion and i really don't care how much it costs...it's the most comfortable

i get 10+ shaves out of each blade...so about 40 per pack of blades....40 cents a shave is fine with me

I've tried the cheap disposables to see if I can get a longer life out of the good blades, sort of what you described, but I've cut myself more than a few times with them. They just get caught up on my face. Sucks.
Once they start getting dull, toss them. Trying to get more life out of them causes some of what you describe. The only other thing I can think that you might be doing wrong is that you should move the razor in the direction of the handle. By moving the razor perpendicular to the handle will definitely cause cuts. :ezbill:

Once they start getting dull, toss them. Trying to get more life out of them causes some of what you describe. The only other thing I can think that you might be doing wrong is that you should move the razor in the direction of the handle. By moving the razor perpendicular to the handle will definitely cause cuts. :ezbill:

Yeah, I usually get the cuts with cheap razors after I've used them a couple of times ( I shave the same exact way everytime, so it's not that). But even when they're new, it feels like they're tearing my skin (slight exaggeration). And I always end up with more razor burns. Maybe I'm just sensitive :bigcry:.

i use the Fusion and i really don't care how much it costs...it's the most comfortable

i get 10+ shaves out of each blade...so about 40 per pack of blades....40 cents a shave is fine with me

I guess when you break it down that way, it's not to bad. But that's still probably a 60% increase over a few years back. And I don't really believe all of there advancements in technology have been worth that much of an increase. But what do I know.

96188703.jpg

I haven't shaved completely since the Saints made the playoffs, yes I'm still sporting my playoff beard. When I trim around it I use a disposable from the Personna Speed 3 valu pak!!

Why even trim it? lol

I use a Schick Quatro for general grooming, and a set of barber's clippers with the guard set to either 1 or 2 (based on whether or not I've cut my hair recently) to even my goatee/sideburns.

I went back to a 2 blade razor, I find I get a better shave from it.....besides, when is the damn multi blade thing going to stop, at 20 blades...Just one swipe is all you need...

I went back to a Gillette Sensor Excel...It's much cheaper..

I use the new thinner ones. They actually do cut closer than the normal blades to tell the truth. I have to shave 2-3 times a freakin day, so I'll seriously use a razor until I grimmace by looking at the blade. Thats when I know it's time to change.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom