What English sounds like to non-speakers (1 Viewer)

We were watching that new show Trust on FX and it was in the soundtrack during one of the episodes. Of course I immediately recognized it and started to sing along (to my best ability) while my wife was looking at me like wtf man.

Here is the scene!

What happened to the version where they're dancing in front of mirrors? That was the better video.

We were watching that new show Trust on FX and it was in the soundtrack during one of the episodes. Of course I immediately recognized it and started to sing along (to my best ability) while my wife was looking at me like wtf man.

Here is the scene!

That is like 2 or 3 times now that a show on FX has included this song. Which one of you is an Executive Producer for FX?

you don't like to honor the fallen Marsha.

no really I just clicked the image because, what the...

looks like Hannibal Smith on his first acid trip. Mild curiosity, not heavy.

Few months ago I took my son to see hellyeah in Cleveland. We got in the elevator at the hotel and a floor or 2 below us it stops and a family get on. The were speaking Italian so I can only assume they were from Italy. The dad was munching on an ear of corn. I can think of 10 other vegetables that make more sense than having some walking around corn. I guess right on the cob is easier than out of the can. The next time we go some place public and gonna be walking I'm going to cook me up 2-3 ears of walking around corn though.

Few months ago I took my son to see hellyeah in Cleveland. We got in the elevator at the hotel and a floor or 2 below us it stops and a family get on. The were speaking Italian so I can only assume they were from Italy. The dad was munching on an ear of corn. I can think of 10 other vegetables that make more sense than having some walking around corn. I guess right on the cob is easier than out of the can. The next time we go some place public and gonna be walking I'm going to cook me up 2-3 ears of walking around corn though.

It's not only easier, it tastes better. Back home street vendors sell boiled corn on the cob that you smear with lemon, salt and hot pepper powder. And during day of the dead season,corn on the cob that's made underground, called pibinales.

In central México, they pour cream, mayonnaise, cheese (Parmesan, white, goat cheese), etc to boiled corn on the cob... but they are weird like that :hihi:

It's not only easier, it tastes better. Back home street vendors sell boiled corn on the cob that you smear with lemon, salt and hot pepper powder. And during day of the dead season,corn on the cob that's made underground, called pibinales.

In central México, they pour cream, mayonnaise, cheese (Parmesan, white, goat cheese), etc to boiled corn on the cob... but they are weird like that :hihi:
I like corn on the cob as much as the next person. I just can never see me walking around town, or especially through a hotel, eating a corn on the cob.

I didn't know SR had a Prisencolinensinainciusol thread!

Ok, I don't usually let my language geek flag fly here (this place is where my NO Saints freak flag flies), but...there's a slangy word in French, "yaourter", which literally means "to yogurt" (yes, yogurt as a verb), or alternatively "chanter en yaourt" (sing in yogurt), but which actually means to imitate the English accent by replacing words in a song that you do not know with nonsense syllables. Adriano Celentano is the godfather of this, and yes, there are other examples of songs that do the same thing. I see some people have posted videos in the past to other songs, but none of them actually show up for me, so in the interest of completeness?

Gad Elmaleh (the singer in that video) has also appeared on Conan to explain why he began singing songs like the one above:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom