What exactly did Brees do wrong? (1 Viewer)

ken28

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
I seriously don't understand. I've watched the interview multiple times and can't see how I would have answered differently. I'm against police brutality. I'm against bullying, in any form. I'm against social injustice. I wish everyone could just be seen as equal. I wish no one was stereotyped just because of their skin color. I don't need anyone, especially rich celebrities, to tell me what my beliefs are or how to think. I think people have the right to do whatever they want to as long as it doesn't effect me or mine. I was in the Navy so the flag means something to me. Yes, we are all allowed to believe in whatever we want to but, I would never, ever, ever kneel during the national anthem. That is my own personal belief and apparently it is shared by Drew Brees. So why is he having to apologize for it? Should I apologize for it as well? Why is it ok for one man to tell another man to Please stop! while he himself is asking to be heard? To me that seems like double standards. I don't see how it is right to ask for something while trying to take it away from someone else. I see alot of people saying that Drew doesn't understand the issue and what Kaepernick was kneeling for, but they themselves don't understand what Brees, or me for that matter, means when we say it is disrespectful to kneel during the anthem. Sure, you can peacefully protest anyway you want to but don't say it isn't disrespectful because it's not about flag when do during the national anthem makes it about the flag.

It saddens me on what the state of our country has become. It saddens me that George Floyd and others have lost their lives senselessly. What can I do to help? Stereotyping the police isn't fair either. We can't fix a problem by doing the exact same thing that black people are suffering from.

Please just help me understand. I don't want this becoming some flame war. I just genuinely don't understand what Brees did or said wrong.

What did he do wrong?

Just about everyone (if not everyone) agrees that the timing of his comments were really poor. It was just unnecessary. His fellow Saints players were hurting and the timing came across as insensitive. It was adding fuel to a fire that was burning quite well on its own. He made matters worse regarding the on-field protests. Now, it's become an issue and dividing point for NFL fans...and it was just unnecessary.

Now outside of that, there's lots of debate over whether he did anything wrong at all. But we have about 50 threads that you can sift through to get a feel for those.

What did he do wrong?

Just about everyone (if not everyone) agrees that the timing of his comments were really poor. It was just unnecessary. His fellow Saints players were hurting and the timing came across as insensitive. It was adding fuel to a fire that was burning quite well on its own. He made matters worse regarding the on-field protests. Now, it's become an issue and dividing point for NFL fans...and it was just unnecessary.

Now outside of that, there's lots of debate over whether he did anything wrong at all. But we have about 50 threads that you can sift through to get a feel for those.

This is the only thing I would've done differently if I were Drew. Obviously the interviewer was just trying to bait him. Drew should've just said "This is not the time or place to discuss that." Of course then he would've been bashed for not speaking out...but hey, it wouldn't have been as bad as it is now. Really saddens me to see so many people turn on a good man.

This is the only thing I would've done differently if I were Drew. Obviously the interviewer was just trying to bait him. Drew should've just said "This is not the time or place to discuss that." Of course then he would've been bashed for not speaking out...but hey, it wouldn't have been as bad as it is now. Really saddens me to see so many people turn on a good man.

I don't think that there is any doubt that Brees wished that he didn't say anything. There's a time and place for everything, and he messed up. He's admitted that he messed up. We've all said untimely and stupid things in our life. The difference is that Brees has an enormous platform to get scrutiny. It still doesn't excuse Brees, but I think that all should have a little bit more love for our fellow man right now (both sides included).

I seriously don't understand. I've watched the interview multiple times and can't see how I would have answered differently. I'm against police brutality. I'm against bullying, in any form. I'm against social injustice. I wish everyone could just be seen as equal. I wish no one was stereotyped just because of their skin color. I don't need anyone, especially rich celebrities, to tell me what my beliefs are or how to think. I think people have the right to do whatever they want to as long as it doesn't effect me or mine. I was in the Navy so the flag means something to me. Yes, we are all allowed to believe in whatever we want to but, I would never, ever, ever kneel during the national anthem. That is my own personal belief and apparently it is shared by Drew Brees. So why is he having to apologize for it? Should I apologize for it as well? Why is it ok for one man to tell another man to Please stop! while he himself is asking to be heard? To me that seems like double standards. I don't see how it is right to ask for something while trying to take it away from someone else. I see alot of people saying that Drew doesn't understand the issue and what Kaepernick was kneeling for, but they themselves don't understand what Brees, or me for that matter, means when we say it is disrespectful to kneel during the anthem. Sure, you can peacefully protest anyway you want to but don't say it isn't disrespectful because it's not about flag when do during the national anthem makes it about the flag.

It saddens me on what the state of our country has become. It saddens me that George Floyd and others have lost their lives senselessly. What can I do to help? Stereotyping the police isn't fair either. We can't fix a problem by doing the exact same thing that black people are suffering from.

Please just help me understand. I don't want this becoming some flame war. I just genuinely don't understand what Brees did or said wrong.

I feel precisely the way you feel. I will add that I feel some hate me and are prejudiced against me because of my skin color, and they stereotype me. It's not a good feeling to be hated by millions, and it's frustrating they don't believe me. Because of what some stupid cop did, and because I love my country, it somehow makes me a bad guy? I'll just have to bear my cross because I can't undo the murder, and I can't be a traitor to my country and those who built it with honest sweat and blood.

This has been discussed at length.

He was asked a question, very directly, given the response to George Floyd’s death and the outcry against police brutality, what do you think of the possibility of NFL kneeling protests starting up again?

He could have said any number of things.

He could of simply spoken about the brutality of the incident and the support he has for the justice the protests seek. He could have offered empathy and a specific suggestion for another approach he would join them in. He could of said I disagree but I hear their pleas for justice and in any other way they need I will be there for them.

But instead he chose to make it about how his moral interpretation of our country’s idolatry is correct and superior and how not adhering to his interpretation of it is morally wrong. With no actual words on the current underlying grievances driving his teammates.

He chose an adversarial posture, he chose to frame himself morally superior, he valued signaling to his personal concept of virtue more than relating to the moral concerns of his teammates.

Which, in a moment of brightness in all of this, Brees, after speaking to his teammates, agrees. After talking to his teammates and doing what he didn’t do initially, which his teammates asked him to do, he listened and empathized. And through that process he claims to have been touched and found a new sense of understanding of their concerns and seems to be vowing to be a better ally to his teammates because of the experience. Time will tell and actions and his future words will speak to the truth of the matter, but for now, it is a positive direction for something that could have gotten really ugly.

Last edited:
I don't think that there is any doubt that Brees wished that he didn't say anything. There's a time and place for everything, and he messed up. He's admitted that he messed up. We've all said untimely and stupid things in our life. The difference is that Brees has an enormous platform to get scrutiny. It still doesn't excuse Brees, but I think that all should have a little bit more love for our fellow man right now (both sides included).

Not to mention...if this was some repeat offender....or someone who has had questionable race issues in the past then I get it. But to completely turn on one of the best people to play in this league and on someone who has done so much for players and people in his city is ridiculous.

Not to mention...if this was some repeat offender....or someone who has had questionable race issues in the past then I get it. But to completely turn on one of the best people to play in this league and on someone who has done so much for players and people in his city is ridiculous.

It's a bad look for the cause, quite honestly. They don't realize it, but it is.

The only criticism I have with Brees is the timing of it. I knew that question was going to come up from players once the NFL season gets nearer. But I never expected it will come to Brees first. Other than that, it is an opinion that I personally agree. (MY OPINION but respect yours if differently).

He said nothing wrong. We live in a Mob mentality society where you share the Mob's beliefs or you are wrong.
Freedom of speech does not mean freedom from criticism or consequence.

Your right to use your platform to criticize the way your teammates protest also affords your teammates the ability to criticize you.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom