What exactly did Brees do wrong? (1 Viewer)

[
A bad egg on the team... correct me if I am wrong... but I think you are referring to Malcolm Jenkins. While I don't personally believe DB9 is a bad egg... neither is Malcolm Jenkins. I would not label anyone actively and continually speaking out against police brutality and racism a bad egg. In fact I would pat him (and Anquan Boldin) on the back.
I wouldn't consider Malcom a bad egg either. He's passionate in his beliefs at a time when a little more of that is probably needed. That said, I think Drew became collateral damage of that passion and I think that Malcom should at least recognize that if he hasn't already. I respect Malcom for feeling like he needed to stand up for his cause, but he should know Drew better than that and out of the respect he had for him, afford him the chance to make things right without all the public display.

Last edited:
“I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color,”- Colin Kaepernick as quoted after asked why he kneeled.

Sounds like Kaepernick started to protest the flag and what it stands for. Can’t speak for the other players but can you see why some might find it disrespectful? Do you not remember instances of people burning flags after the kneeling started?

A reporter asked about kneeling during the anthem in the upcoming season and he said he wouldn’t because he thinks that would be disrespectful. Many racists find kneeling during the anthem disrespectful? Where did you get this information?

just responding so i can get the notification if she answers you..

The only thing Brees did wrong was give his opinion on the Flag. Of course Drew Brees dosen't agree with racial attacks or discrimination on any person. But the media spun this a way to make headlines to make controversy.

I can protest racial equality and still have my strong respect for the flag that many Americans of all colors fought and died over.
Everyone has strong beliefs and opinions, to criticize and disgrace a man for his is like the blind leading the blind.

Drew said nothing that Dak Prescott didn't say. The media should be ashamed of themselves trying to destroy a good man for headlines and spin.

This line illustrates perfectly the issue.

When you have something to say, there are two parts to communication; the message and the manner in which you deliver the message. The manner needs to get people's attention, but it cannot be divisive because the focus will shift from the message to the manner. Moreover, people will conflate the objection to the manner with the objection to the message. I can 100% agree with the cause, but object 100% with the manner in which it is being protested.

We are in a time of extremism. Issues become either a black or white issue. Having a moderate view is equated to "not taking a stand." If you do not agree 100% then you are silenced. The 1930s were a time of extremism and it didn't well. If you want to dispute this, just watch any news media and see for yourself how things are shaded in black or white.

Drew Brees can totally disagree with the manner and then totally agree that something needs to be done. The sad reality is that these athletes the last time knelt and then NOTHING.

I will end with an anecdote. I took upon myself to not be silent when my ex-in-laws made racial jokes. It wasn't necessary obvious ones. it was sometimes stuff like, "this use to be a nice neighborhood.." My now ex-wife asked why I would upset her family that way. I had a very simple answer. I cannot ask my students to take action against stuff like this (You know evil to exist because good people do nothing mantra) while at the same time, I do nothing. Either I will be a role model for doing what is right or I should quit teaching. When I look at the players, I see a lot of talks, but no walking.

-----

I seriously don't understand. I've watched the interview multiple times and can't see how I would have answered differently. I'm against police brutality. I'm against bullying, in any form. I'm against social injustice. I wish everyone could just be seen as equal. I wish no one was stereotyped just because of their skin color. I don't need anyone, especially rich celebrities, to tell me what my beliefs are or how to think. I think people have the right to do whatever they want to as long as it doesn't effect me or mine. I was in the Navy so the flag means something to me. Yes, we are all allowed to believe in whatever we want to but, I would never, ever, ever kneel during the national anthem. That is my own personal belief and apparently it is shared by Drew Brees. So why is he having to apologize for it? Should I apologize for it as well? Why is it ok for one man to tell another man to Please stop! while he himself is asking to be heard? To me that seems like double standards. I don't see how it is right to ask for something while trying to take it away from someone else. I see alot of people saying that Drew doesn't understand the issue and what Kaepernick was kneeling for, but they themselves don't understand what Brees, or me for that matter, means when we say it is disrespectful to kneel during the anthem. Sure, you can peacefully protest anyway you want to but don't say it isn't disrespectful because it's not about flag when do during the national anthem makes it about the flag.

It saddens me on what the state of our country has become. It saddens me that George Floyd and others have lost their lives senselessly. What can I do to help? Stereotyping the police isn't fair either. We can't fix a problem by doing the exact same thing that black people are suffering from.

Please just help me understand. I don't want this becoming some flame war. I just genuinely don't understand what Brees did or said wrong.

HOW MANY PLAYERS/PEOPLE, WHEN AT HOME WATCHING A SPORTING EVENT, WILL STAND UP FOR THE NATIONAL ANTHEM WHEN THEY ARE BY THEMSELVES ONE RANDOM DAY, IN THEIR MAN CAVE ??

THE ANSWER IS VERY FEW. THAT DOES NOT MEAN THEY DISRESPECT THE FLAG OR THE ANTHEM.

SO WHAT IT COMES DOWN TO IS, HEY IF YOU ARE IN PUBLIC SIGHT, BETTER STAND UP FOR THE ANTHEM, OR ITS DISRESPECTFUL.

BUT IN MY MANCAVE, WHEN I AM ALONE WITH A BEER, I MIGHT NOT..AND I STILL LOVE THIS COUNTRY !!!

IT'S NOTHING BUT THE OPTICS FRIENDS......

HOW MANY PLAYERS/PEOPLE, WHEN AT HOME WATCHING A SPORTING EVENT, WILL STAND UP FOR THE NATIONAL ANTHEM WHEN THEY ARE BY THEMSELVES ONE RANDOM DAY, IN THEIR MAN CAVE ??

THE ANSWER IS VERY FEW. THAT DOES NOT MEAN THEY DISRESPECT THE FLAG OR THE ANTHEM.

SO WHAT IT COMES DOWN TO IS, HEY IF YOU ARE IN PUBLIC SIGHT, BETTER STAND UP FOR THE ANTHEM, OR ITS DISRESPECTFUL.

BUT IN MY MANCAVE, WHEN I AM ALONE WITH A BEER, I MIGHT NOT..AND I STILL LOVE THIS COUNTRY !!!

IT'S NOTHING BUT THE OPTICS FRIENDS......

Disagree here about what this has to with Brees. As Drew was put on blast for being a “public figure” and speaking his mind, the same goes for the players kneeling.

I do agree that the majority of people most likely do not stand in their homes for the anthem. This type of debate just goes to show that maybe it should be discussed to just have the teams in the locker room during the Anthem.

Last edited:
I seriously don't understand. I've watched the interview multiple times and can't see how I would have answered differently. I'm against police brutality. I'm against bullying, in any form. I'm against social injustice. I wish everyone could just be seen as equal. I wish no one was stereotyped just because of their skin color. I don't need anyone, especially rich celebrities, to tell me what my beliefs are or how to think. I think people have the right to do whatever they want to as long as it doesn't effect me or mine. I was in the Navy so the flag means something to me. Yes, we are all allowed to believe in whatever we want to but, I would never, ever, ever kneel during the national anthem. That is my own personal belief and apparently it is shared by Drew Brees. So why is he having to apologize for it? Should I apologize for it as well? Why is it ok for one man to tell another man to Please stop! while he himself is asking to be heard? To me that seems like double standards. I don't see how it is right to ask for something while trying to take it away from someone else. I see alot of people saying that Drew doesn't understand the issue and what Kaepernick was kneeling for, but they themselves don't understand what Brees, or me for that matter, means when we say it is disrespectful to kneel during the anthem. Sure, you can peacefully protest anyway you want to but don't say it isn't disrespectful because it's not about flag when do during the national anthem makes it about the flag.

It saddens me on what the state of our country has become. It saddens me that George Floyd and others have lost their lives senselessly. What can I do to help? Stereotyping the police isn't fair either. We can't fix a problem by doing the exact same thing that black people are suffering from.

Please just help me understand. I don't want this becoming some flame war. I just genuinely don't understand what Brees did or said wrong.

Awesome post you think like me. He said nothing wrong in my opinion.

He loves his country like I do, but we have many real problems here that need addressing.

Ding ding we have a winner. Liberals always tell us that if someone is offended at something we say we have to take them at their word and stop doing whatever was said. I have met kraepernick and he is a horrible human being and has offended millions but we’re told we have to listen.
People aren't robots. Drew Brees stopped what he was doing and offered an apology.

He had a differing opinion than others. Thats about it... it’s taboo these days! He wasn’t “woke” enough for his teammates. It may not be about the flag for the ones kneeling, but its about the flag for me. Just like they claim im not sensitive to their arguments, maybe theu should be sensitive to mine as well and meet in the middle. I support whatever grievances we have, we just need to find a different platform. One that does not disgrace the memory of my friend that died for those colors.

What people gloss over that criticised him is that he didn't just come out with this, he was asked a direct question.

Had it been a statement be just put out there, I would understand all the outage.

It was a softball question that he should have knocked out of the park.

This has been discussed at length.

He was asked a question, very directly, given the response to George Floyd’s death and the outcry against police brutality, what do you think of the possibility of NFL kneeling protests starting up again?

He could have said any number of things.

He could of simply spoken about the brutality of the incident and the support he has for the justice the protests seek. He could have offered empathy and a specific suggestion for another approach he would join them in. He could of said I disagree but I hear their pleas for justice and in any other way they need I will be there for them.

But instead he chose to make it about how his moral interpretation of our country’s idolatry is correct and superior and how not adhering to his interpretation of it is morally wrong. With no actual words on the current underlying grievances driving his teammates.

He chose an adversarial posture, he chose to frame himself morally superior, he valued signaling to his personal concept of virtue more than relating to the moral concerns of his teammates.

Which, in a moment of brightness in all of this, Brees, after speaking to his teammates, agrees. After talking to his teammates and doing what he didn’t do initially, which his teammates asked him to do, he listened and empathized. And through that process he claims to have been touched and found a new sense of understanding of their concerns and seems to be vowing to be a better ally to his teammates because of the experience. Time will tell and actions and his future words will speak to the truth of the matter, but for now, it is a positive direction for something that could have gotten really ugly.
No what he did was speak from the heart about what seeing the flag meant to him because of his respect and love for his grandfathers and the sacrifice they made defending the country and that flag. My dad also fought in WW2 and that’s how I feel as well. In my opinion when the whole kneeling thing started the statement could’ve been made in a way that didn’t appear to be disrespectful to the flag or to the men and women of all races who have died defending the right to protest.

The man didn't do a damn thing wrong . He expressed his feelings regarding his country and the flag which any American has been able to do since the dawn of time. What we have are a colllection of idiots who turn that into racism. That's quite a magic trick.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom