What exactly did Brees do wrong? (1 Viewer)

Yeah, because an old man who's out protesting is incapable of brandishing a weapon and injuring/killing a cop. They told him to step back. He refused and confronted the cops. They lightly pushed him and he fall backwards. It's a shame he got hurt, but it's his fault. You're excused!

Yeah, because if there was ever a case where de-escalation was warrented above wasn't it? Or something?

The sad part is you seem to actually believe the nonsense you posted....

What did he do wrong?

Just about everyone (if not everyone) agrees that the timing of his comments were really poor. It was just unnecessary. His fellow Saints players were hurting and the timing came across as insensitive. It was adding fuel to a fire that was burning quite well on its own. He made matters worse regarding the on-field protests. Now, it's become an issue and dividing point for NFL fans...and it was just unnecessary.

Now outside of that, there's lots of debate over whether he did anything wrong at all. But we have about 50 threads that you can sift through to get a feel for those.
He was asked a question and he answered.

It's not like he just posted out of left field on IG his belief on kneeling during the National Anthem. Total overreaction to nothing is what's going on!

That's the problem with today's world. If you don't stick to the PC world's status quo you're in the wrong! Smh..

If the players decide to kneel during the anthem & many of the black players don't join in as before, are they going to receive criticism for not kneeling? I'm curious if the players who didn't kneel before, did not for the same reasons Brees doesn't and what their response would be if asked.

Dr. King made progress in conjunction with a growing backdrop of riots and unrest in the south making leaders fearful of what could come if they didn’t give peace a chance. People forget that.

When Robert, John, and Lyndon got together and decided they must do something about African American civili rights, Robert Kennedy didn’t speak primarily of King’s words, as powerful and as true as they are, he spoke of a fear that if they failed to finally give people their civil rights, the Birmingham Riots of 63’ that they just experienced would merely be a prelude to far greater unrest and violence from centuries of built up oppression and rightful anger on the part of black people and those racists wishing to suppress their liberties. That it could spread all across the south and create a governing crisis.

Kings’s words are what we remember, what over time helped massage public sentiment, but it was flash points of unjust violence like the murder of Emmett Till and the fear of violence on the part of protestors that actually moved the needle.

Amen!

You Have To Keep At It

Yeah, because if there was ever a case where de-escalation was warrented above wasn't it? Or something?

The sad part is you seem to actually believe the nonsense you posted....
De-escalation? The police have been de-escalating or altogether not engaging with protesters for the better part of 10 days, and it's gotten a bunch of them injured and a few killed! My guess is you think Antifa are the good guys and believe we should just let the rioters burn down every city. Now that's nonsense.

And you're dang right I believe what I posted. I wouldn't have posted it otherwise.

I never did any of that. Why are you persecuting me? Go after the dirty cops and their dirty leaders and leave innocent people alone.
But "innocent" people may not really be innocent. Why? Because not being racist is not enough. It has to be being anti-racist. One is passive. The other is pro-active. Passivity is obviously not working.

This has been discussed at length.

He was asked a question, very directly, given the response to George Floyd’s death and the outcry against police brutality, what do you think of the possibility of NFL kneeling protests starting up again?

He could have said any number of things.

He could of simply spoken about the brutality of the incident and the support he has for the justice the protests seek. He could have offered empathy and a specific suggestion for another approach he would join them in. He could of said I disagree but I hear their pleas for justice and in any other way they need I will be there for them.

But instead he chose to make it about how his moral interpretation of our country’s idolatry is correct and superior and how not adhering to his interpretation of it is morally wrong. With no actual words on the current underlying grievances driving his teammates.

He chose an adversarial posture, he chose to frame himself morally superior, he valued signaling to his personal concept of virtue more than relating to the moral concerns of his teammates.

Which, in a moment of brightness in all of this, Brees, after speaking to his teammates, agrees. After talking to his teammates and doing what he didn’t do initially, which his teammates asked him to do, he listened and empathized. And through that process he claims to have been touched and found a new sense of understanding of their concerns and seems to be vowing to be a better ally to his teammates because of the experience. Time will tell and actions and his future words will speak to the truth of the matter, but for now, it is a positive direction for something that could have gotten really ugly.
In your opinion.

We live in some very tense times at the moment. Once things settle down, people will see Brees meant no harm and that we also have a bad egg on the team and it's not Brees
A bad egg on the team... correct me if I am wrong... but I think you are referring to Malcolm Jenkins. While I don't personally believe DB9 is a bad egg... neither is Malcolm Jenkins. I would not label anyone actively and continually speaking out against police brutality and racism a bad egg. In fact I would pat him (and Anquan Boldin) on the back.

Nothing. We are all entitled to our opinion. People need to atop the social bullying via social media. Yes, that's what it actually is. There are even <self- cesnure> calling to cut Drew Brees on the team for expressing an opinion. Just because it isn't one you share doesn't mean he should be cut. There is nothing wrong with his moral or ethical compass.

----

Last edited:
It has nothing to do with the flag. Never did , a veteran corrected Kap and asked him to knee instead of sitting. He did

Trump and conservative leaders made it about disrespecting the flag and ignored their fellow black Americans plea for help.

That flag argument is literally a slap in the face of millions of black folks.

In the moment drew had to speak on how he stands with his brothers , he chose to regurgitate a very blind , and ignorant point of view that many racists share at literally the worst time in US history to do so.

That's what he did.

I accept his apology , but boy I lost a insurmountable amount of respect for him.

🤷🏿‍♂️

It has nothing to do with the flag. Never did , a veteran corrected Kap and asked him to knee instead of sitting. He did

Trump and conservative leaders made it about disrespecting the flag and ignored their fellow black Americans plea for help.

In the moment drew had to speak on how he stands with his brothers , he chose to regurgitate a very blind , and ignorant point of view that many racists share at literally the worst time in US history to do so.

That's what he did.

I accept his apology , but boy I lost a insurmountable amount of respect for him.

🤷🏿‍♂️

Standing for your "brother" is the same as defending the "Blue Line." People are entitled to their opinion regardless of what you think it is. If his comments are misguided, persecution is the solution, but dialogue. The problem is not with what he said. If he missed the point, the reaction should be to educate not to impune him through social media. The solution is to talk to him, not public grandstanding. People talk free speech, but whenever they express their opinion, and it isn't what they agree with, then their reaction is to silence them. Social media is the devil's den. At some point, these flames will extinguish social media. It isn't worth the scrutiny.

Drew Brees has done a tremendous amount of community service and was recognized by the league for this.

Considering I am an agnostic Anarchist, I can safely say that I would not respect about 95% of the athletes if that were my criteria. That's a <self-censure> stance.

That's what he did.

🤷🏿‍♂️

“I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color,”- Colin Kaepernick as quoted after asked why he kneeled.

Sounds like Kaepernick started to protest the flag and what it stands for. Can’t speak for the other players but can you see why some might find it disrespectful? Do you not remember instances of people burning flags after the kneeling started?

A reporter asked about kneeling during the anthem in the upcoming season and he said he wouldn’t because he thinks that would be disrespectful. Many racists find kneeling during the anthem disrespectful? Where did you get this information?

The only thing Brees did wrong was give his opinion on the Flag. Of course Drew Brees dosen't agree with racial attacks or discrimination on any person. But the media spun this a way to make headlines to make controversy.

I can protest racial equality and still have my strong respect for the flag that many Americans of all colors fought and died over.
Everyone has strong beliefs and opinions, to criticize and disgrace a man for his is like the blind leading the blind.

Drew said nothing that Dak Prescott didn't say. The media should be ashamed of themselves trying to destroy a good man for headlines and spin.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom