What game did you guys watch? (2 Viewers)

you also have to consider JJ Watt didn't play. Its not like Houston was putting the best player in the league on the field.

I'm hoping it is just the line getting used to playing/knowing where each other will be on any given play. I'm not a cork-eyed optimist nor a debbie downer, just trying to be realistic. I don't know how good the Oakland D-line is, but right now I'm using a fullback to help solidify the middle.

Brees was hit three times and two of them there were penalties on the Texans. I'm not going to blame the Oline for a late hit or for illegal contact. The Texans had one legitimate sack and that came from clowney. There is no shame in that. There were numerous times that Brees had a perfect pocket. You guys sound like cowboys fans. The other team gets paid too. Guys it's football and he will get hit.

I'm watching the game right now and I'm extremely happy. The defense has a ton of young talent and Byrd seems more active than ever with us, KV is all over the field and Fairley looks great. Considering we didn't have cooks or Snead I'm not sure what you expected.

Don't worry about the offense. I saw no chip blocks or game planning from the oline. It's like some of you have forgotten that Payton is an offensive genius. I saw a 11 win team out their tonight for the black and gold. Oline play is about playing as a unit and that comes with rhythm. Once we settle on starters we will be fine.

Watching the third quarter now. Under 7 to go and we are playing third stringers on the line. Houston is still playing Clowney who was a first overall pick two years ago.

I caught flack for saying Murphy should of been cut mid season last year. He simply can't hold onto the ball.

Peat may be struggling a bit but we need to just let him play one spot.

All in all this is the best I've felt during preseason in years. Ryan was always bad. Even when we were supposedly good on D we couldn't force a turnover. Think about this we never scored a defensive TD under Ryan and no one got better.

You sound more optimistic than Coach Payton who said: "This is as bad as we've (our offense) looked in a while."

This is the absolute worst I've felt in preseason in years. Out of anger, I stated that Payton should be fired last night...i regret saying that but I've NEVER EVER SAID THAT...not even in private. I'm a fan of Payton (or at least I thought so) but the O looked so bad last night it made me angry and irrational for a few minutes.

I don't think Brees lasts the season which is why I've lowered my projection to 4-5 wins. If we pick up a couple of decent lineman (who are better than what we have) before preseason then things may turn around and head in a positive direction.

I appreciate DDs optimism but I'm not completely football dumb...this offense is not a top 5 or 10 offense. It's regressed significantly.

Brees was hit three times and two of them there were penalties on the Texans. I'm not going to blame the Oline for a late hit or for illegal contact. The Texans had one legitimate sack and that came from clowney. There is no shame in that. There were numerous times that Brees had a perfect pocket. You guys sound like cowboys fans. The other team gets paid too. Guys it's football and he will get hit.

I'm watching the game right now and I'm extremely happy. The defense has a ton of young talent and Byrd seems more active than ever with us, KV is all over the field and Fairley looks great. Considering we didn't have cooks or Snead I'm not sure what you expected.

Don't worry about the offense. I saw no chip blocks or game planning from the oline. It's like some of you have forgotten that Payton is an offensive genius. I saw a 11 win team out their tonight for the black and gold. Oline play is about playing as a unit and that comes with rhythm. Once we settle on starters we will be fine.

Watching the third quarter now. Under 7 to go and we are playing third stringers on the line. Houston is still playing Clowney who was a first overall pick two years ago.

I caught flack for saying Murphy should of been cut mid season last year. He simply can't hold onto the ball.

Peat may be struggling a bit but we need to just let him play one spot.

All in all this is the best I've felt during preseason in years. Ryan was always bad. Even when we were supposedly good on D we couldn't force a turnover. Think about this we never scored a defensive TD under Ryan and no one got better.
I agree on the defense but I was watching the game where the OL couldn't open a crease for the runner to save their lives after getting like 2.6 YPC last week.

They may get back to what we mostly have been historically and do a serviceable job of protecting the QB and allowing Brees skills to keep us competitive. But I was hoping to see some improvement in the run game this year and we look way worse.

We're going to need to have credible run game to get better to really have a shot this year otherwise defenses are going to drop more back in coverage and frustrate Brees because we have no running threat.

But yeah, sure, they "just haven't jelled yet" or "we're gonna coach 'em up".

No Cooks and no Snead had a great deal to do with our offensive woes early last night. The rest of the receivers might have talent, but they aren't ready for starting roles just yet. The offensive line issues are troubling, but I'm not ready to call the season lost just yet.

We're going to need to have credible run game to get better to really have a shot this year otherwise defenses are going to drop more back in coverage and frustrate Brees because we have no running threat.

And when they drop more into coverage, that will open up the running game.

I thought the O line looked pretty terrible, but I'm trying to reserve judgement for now because the Texans' defensive front is elite even sans Watt. But yeah, we made them look the best defensive line of all-time last night haha.

And when they drop more into coverage, that will open up the running game.
Not if they play like they did last night or even against the Pats.

There will be no need for a defense to put 8 in the box to control our run game...and we'll have to pass every time just to get a 3rd and 2...

The defense wasn't just average. They were very good.

That's the thing to get excited about. The offense will be top 5 again. It always is and this isn't the first lackluster preseason for them.

I'm worried about the OL and Bree's taking too many hits, but if we play defense like we have been the past two weeks, we can compete.

Agree.

It's obvious OLINE is the biggest weakness on this team (not the defense anymore.) And that's a good thing, because Sean knows it too, and of all the coaches in this league, he's the one that can handle it.

We're gonna compete this season.

I'm watching the game right now and I'm extremely happy.

Ron-Swanson-Giggles-Before-Busting-Out-Lauging-Gif-On-Parks-and-Recreation.gif

We've played against one Patriots defense that's consistently been great most years and a Texans defense that was top 3 last year. I understand JJ Watt didn't play but regardless they still have a very stacked defense overall. If we didn't have those two back breaking turnovers in the Patriots game we still could've won. Barring the turnovers I thought the offense looked solid most of the game but just struggled running the ball. I expect our offense to cook the Steelers weak secondary next week. If our offense still looks horrible against them then I'll be more concerned.

I have seen neither the game, nor the post-game interviews. Yet.

So Sean was angry? Drew angry?
Payton was so POed, he actually called out Murphy but not by name, for fumbling that punt. Said, might have to get a different returner. Said it twice during the interview. Also cut off the questions abruptly and walked out. Not a happy camper.

My simple take..... I'm just a fan... I'll leave it to the multitude of real analysts on here to work the x's and o's

I saw a bad outing from the black and gold... one that seems to happen every year (too lazy to check out.. maybe others can) when we break camp. They have been away from home for 4 weeks... On the road... When the game is over they get on the plane and in one hour they will be home... Getting some loving from momma or their girlfriend (or both) for the first time in a month. Their heads were not in the game.. All they wanted was to get home....

Still the O-line concerns are valid... I think you will see combination blocking schemes in the regular season that will cover up some obvious weaknesses.. Still an issue.

The top 3 receivers (with the exception of a token appearance from Thomas) didn't play...

I remain enormously encourage about the defense. I see VAST improvement over the missed assignments, poor tackling, disorganized defense of a year ago.

TommyLee has made the team... So has Lasco... No real earth moving revelations there.

Again I think the week we break camp has historically been bad. Friday night will be different.. Take a deep breath... Back away from the ledge.... its going to be ok

Who Dat

I'm watching the game right now. It isn't nearly as bad as some of you made it out to be. It isn't good. There are definitely some glaring issues. But it isn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.

- It's obvious the offense isn't in Sync yet. Some of that has to do with the oline. Some of that gas to do with our top two receivers being out. So far, in the first half, Lewis, Spiller and Fleener seem to be the only receivers on the same page as Drew. Coleman started off okay, but his drop that was initially called a fumble clearly stayed on his mind. He's got to get over it and block it out.

- Peat did some good things. He got some push on that 3 & 1 where Khun picked up the 1st down. Same on the play where Ingram ran for 5. I haven't seen anything completely bad by him just yet. But he's still playing RG at the moment. The pressure looked to be coming mostly from LG. That's where Clowney got through. But, it's Clowney. The guy is actually a beast. He just can't stay healthy. Zach had a poor rep. But it was negated by a roughing call.

- Defense looked decent. They got a 3 and out on the 1st series. Fairley and Onyemata both got pressure from the middle. That's a big improvement from last year. PJ Williams made a mistake by not turning his head on the TD. But learned from it and got the INT a couple drives later. Byrd was in on a number of good stops.

There's lots of positives to take away along with those negatives. And I'm still at 6 min left in the 2nd QTR.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom