What happened to going deep? (1 Viewer)

^ Brees has never needed the WR to create space to throw to a good match-up, including deep throws. I don't think that argument holds water.
You said something very important there: "good match-up". We haven't had those. Go back and watch the games and watch only the receivers. It's very clear that there is either no separation from the defender or an obvios lack of faith on Brees' part that the receiver is going to make a play.

Drew has throw 5 passes between 40-49 yards this season with the furthest traveling 41 yards in the air.

Interestingly enough he's only throw 3 passes between 30-39 yards.

He hasn't thrown a pass that's traveled over 30 yards since week 8.

I don't know what this proves, but definitely shows we have no deep passing game.

Bruh, read my last post on why we're not getting "separation" included for your reference.

You're right, that graphic alone doesn't say much about arm strength but what if I showed you 13 more graphs from this season where nothing went beyond 25 yards? What would you say about that?

Edit: Maybe this is all some sort of Jedi mind trick CSP is playing w/ the rest of the league to get them to cheat up in the playoffs so we can gash them deep...maybe it isn't, but the fact remains that we are not pushing the ball down the field enough to put the WRs in position to get separation.
Look, I'm not saying that Brees is not declining, he obviously is. But the biggest issue that I see when I watch the offense is sub-par receiver play. The receivers are not giving Brees a good look...plain and simple. The deep ball is no different. When teams are playing high safeties there is a small window to complete that pass (see Benjamin Watson's drop last night) before the safety becomes a factor. If the receiver cannot create space in time for Brees to make a decision then he has to move on to the next read. He doesn't have all day back there.

The Panthers were playing very conservative Coverages 3 deep, 2 deep Safeties on most snaps. The best ways to attack that Defense is to attack the seams. The gaps in the zones, beneath the Safeties and behind the Linebackers.

It did not help that Ben Watson, and Dan Arnold could not hold onto critical passes that either a.)hit their hands or b.) was in their hands but got knocked out. The Receivers outside of Thomas do not attack the ball, nor do they read coverages and settle into zones very well. Atleast Kirkwood made a crucial catch down the stretch in this game, doesn't help that 2 starters at O-line went out this game either.

So a banged up O-line, and lack of quality Wide receivers outside of 1 guy. On the Road against a Defense that knows our tendencies very well.. yeah that is a recipe to struggle in the passing game.
Almost word for word what I was going to say.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom