What happened to run game 2nd half? (1 Viewer)

SaintsFanatic

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
I know it was basically getting us nowhere in the 1st half but this team is NEVER good when the D knows we are passing every down. From mid 3rd qtr on, we ran probably less than a handful of times.

I'm all about sticking with what works...but the passing game wasn't working this week. Historically if we're playing a good secondary with no threat of a run game it hasn't worked out for us.

The few runs we did do in 2nd half had pretty good success.

I realize i'm beating a dead horse but just wondering if i'm off-base or if others felt the same.

I know it was basically getting us nowhere in the 1st half but this team is NEVER good when the D knows we are passing every down. From mid 3rd qtr on, we ran probably less than a handful of times.

I'm all about sticking with what works...but the passing game wasn't working this week. Historically if we're playing a good secondary with no threat of a run game it hasn't worked out for us.

I realize i'm beating a dead horse but just wondering if i'm off-base or if others felt the same.
In a a tight, low scoring game, didn't need to to abandon like that, but this is nothing new.

Just how it is.

I'm glad we abandoned the run. Just wish we would have thrown to people that can catch.

In the second half the Saints had 3 runs for a total of 6 yards. I wouldn't call that a success. There was one long run but that was called back for holding.

9 carries for Ingram. You don't think he would have established a rhythm if given more attempts. His dad was there, first game I think he's seen his son play since he was put in jail.

Ingram wanted that game yesterday and watched most of it from the sideline.

When we get our short passing game going it can be a great substitute for a run game, but we really needed production out of TE yesterday for that type of game plan to work.

The OL's pass blocking has been exceptional. However, we still are experiencing less than steller guard play in the running game. Evans cannot pull at all and Peat can only block in straight lines. There isn't anything we can do for Evans but I'm hopeful as Peat gets more comfortable at LG he will get better pulling and zone blocking. We are not going to win many matchups between the tackles with our guards and without an edge weapon (Spiller) then I'd expect more of the same.

Even the Rams' offensive coordinator, you know, the team who would call a draw play on 4th and 20 on the last play of the game down by 3, stated that "you score with the passing game." Correct me if I'm wrong, but the saints needed to score some points. So throwing the ball made a ton of sense.

Even the Rams' offensive coordinator, you know, the team who would call a draw play on 4th and 20 on the last play of the game down by 3, stated that "you score with the passing game." Correct me if I'm wrong, but the saints needed to score some points. So throwing the ball made a ton of sense.

Definitely, not saying to abandon the pass either, just some situational stuff that was hard to justify.

Passing to Coleman on 3rd and 3, should have probably at least tried to pick that one up on the ground or a quick slant to one of your more talented players like Cooks or Snead.

9 carries for Ingram. You don't think he would have established a rhythm if given more attempts. His dad was there, first game I think he's seen his son play since he was put in jail.

Ingram wanted that game yesterday and watched most of it from the sideline.

When we get our short passing game going it can be a great substitute for a run game, but we really needed production out of TE yesterday for that type of game plan to work.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Ingram gets more and more frustrated. He's strictly an afterthought in this offense. Perhaps it is because we faced two teams with solid front 7s and part of the game plan - but the Falcons rushed for 139 yards yesterday against the same Raiders front. We had just 88.

not to mention sticking with the run could of kept the Giants "O" off the field

we ran the ball 3 times in the second half of a one score game.

Ingram looks explosive almost every time he gets the ball. It's puzzling. Cadet looks neither faster nor appears to be that much better (if at all) a receiver than Ingram.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Ingram gets more and more frustrated. He's strictly an afterthought in this offense. Perhaps it is because we faced two teams with solid front 7s and part of the game plan - but the Falcons rushed for 139 yards yesterday against the same Raiders front. We had just 88.

He sounded very frustrated in his post game comments.

They asked him about losing another close one and his response was something like "That's who we are as a team for the last few seasons."

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom